Do you have a “Loyalty” card?

Remove this Banner Ad

... I still giggle when I’m behind someone in a queue at the supermarket or booze shop and the cashier asks for a loyalty card. And the suckers pull it out thinking they are getting a benefit!
Several times I’ve answered the cashier with “nah, I don’t believe in giving my personal details to the Chinese”. ...
I'm just hoping it helps get me a positive Chinese "social credit" score - you know, just in case I might need it in the future ....

I'm just hoping it helps get me a positive Chinese "social credit" score - you know, just in case I might need it in the future ....
In the future?
You may need it now!
The fact that even if you don’t use your loyalty card, but pay with a card you have used before, and they still can link you to that loyalty card is a real concern.
May as well just accept our new Chinese overlords now.

I still giggle when I’m behind someone in a queue at the supermarket or booze shop and the cashier asks for a loyalty card. And the suckers pull it out thinking they are getting a benefit!

This sucker has the orange card at Woolworth's because it can be redeemed for qantas points.

Nearly all my business expenditure on cc's earn qantas points.

My wife and I would have approximately anywhere between 2.5 to 3 million points atm.

Can't remember the last time we paid to fly.

Opens up our beautiful planet pretty quickly.

This sucker has the orange card at Woolworth's because it can be redeemed for qantas points.

Nearly all my business expenditure on cc's earn qantas points.

My wife and I would have approximately anywhere between 2.5 to 3 million points atm.

Can't remember the last time we paid to fly.

Opens up our beautiful planet pretty quickly.
2.5 to 3 million points?
Thats mighty impressive at the quoted rate of one point per $1 spent.
You are correct of course that if you ran a business and funnelled every expense payment through your credit cards then those points are easily achieveable. My bosses do it.
But average joe punter doesn’t ever achieve those outcomes. And of course pays for the privilege at the checkout or with exorbitant card fees/interest rates. And their privacy.
But well done you.

Well we’ve all seen the facial recognition technology that has been used in China, and been abhorred by the invasion of privacy it represents.
But now we have become China.
Very sneaky by these organ to use a small notice to tell you that this technology is now in use.
I wonder how far it will go? And I wonder how far we will let it go?

Dan Murphy's card, Woollies rewards and BP rewards both linked to Qantas frequent flyer points. I also do social media, Facebook lets me stay connected with people rather than having to call them, Twitter lets me express my inner cnut when in the mood.

I'm sure my data is being harvested, I don't care

Dan Murphy's card, Woollies rewards and BP rewards both linked to Qantas frequent flyer points. I also do social media, Facebook lets me stay connected with people rather than having to call them, Twitter lets me express my inner cnut when in the mood.

I'm sure my data is being harvested, I don't care
I don't tweet nor do I do Qantas FF points, but I am quite happy to make a few dollars off the loyalty cards and am not terribly concerned with how my FB interaction is used by the powers harvesting my data. In a world with so many millions of people all using the same cards and social media, what personal harm am I risking. I couldn't care less if people know what I buy or what web pages I visit.

I don't tweet nor do I do Qantas FF points, but I am quite happy to make a few dollars off the loyalty cards and am not terribly concerned with how my FB interaction is used by the powers harvesting my data. In a world with so many millions of people all using the same cards and social media, what personal harm am I risking. I couldn't care less if people know what I buy or what web pages I visit.
You are making a choice. And now you know the risks it’s an informed choice.
Nothing wrong with that.
But one day….

Scamwatch is a good site, I've reported a few to them.

I actually had an argument with a a legit caller from the bank once. They cold called me, said they were from the bank and asked me to confirm my date of birth before proceeding. I said No, you called me, tell me the date of birth you have on record if you're legit and I'll tell you if it's correct. Went back and forwards a few times till she put me onto her team leader, I still refused. They don't call me any more.

Scamwatch is a good site, I've reported a few to them.

I actually had an argument with a a legit caller from the bank once. They cold called me, said they were from the bank and asked me to confirm my date of birth before proceeding. I said No, you called me, tell me the date of birth you have on record if you're legit and I'll tell you if it's correct. Went back and forwards a few times till she put me onto her team leader, I still refused. They don't call me any more.
I didn’t think banks cold called?
You did well to refuse their call. A lot of people would eventually be convinced and even if it was legit, I think it just doesn’t feel right.
And bonus for you, they don’t call anymore trying to sell you something you don’t need!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back