Does Cyril Play?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Move P

Senior List
Jun 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The little master deserves his own thread.

IF you think he will play, then who comes out?

And if you think he will be in the starting 18, who will be sub?

For mine, I think he will play and start, Suckling out. Simpkin sub.

A worthwhile question is do Sydney want him to play?

Assuming the answer is no, then we play him.

You would want him to run at full speed repeatedly at training to be sure.

Rioli In

Thats all i can add ATM - but even now Im starting to doubt myself...his "role" includes stints in the midfield, usually center square than drift straight forward again...Look you cant worry about him breaking down during the game, cause well than you wouldnt ever pick him in important matches, for fear of him breaking down. His been declared fit medically...and no this is not his first hammy, but never has he come back from 1 and played reserves...and when he has come back from previous hammies he has usually gone well....EXCEPT the time he was made SUB and came on and had little 2 no impact...only got the 1 touch in a quarter if i recall...At the end of the day any player can break down at anytime, if he has been declared medically fit and now states he will be mentally prepared than CYRIL HAS TO BE NAMED IN STARTING 18

I would drop 1 of Simpkin, Duryea, Suckling or Spangher based on knowledge of player roles and just as importantly opposition player roles.
But now Im questioning if Cyrils role is necessary against the Swans - in comparison to the other players roles listed above - considering his record against the Swans and how well Bruest played on N.Smith in Rd18... were as Cyril effectively is neutralized to 0 impact by Smith.

LOL stuff this!! Im not the coach of HFC!!! Im not paid to make this decision LOL ill leave it with Clarko and will wait until teams are named:

IN CLARKSON WE TRUST!!

Last edited:
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Not worth the risk, as i have said in other threads he could help Sydney win rather than Hawthorn.

I am skeptical about Ceglar being shafted for McEvoy as well - Big Boy did not set the world on fire against the Swans earlier in the year, while Ceglar stood up and did very well against them.

Considering Rioli was benched in the last on Sunday, and the way teammates and the club are talking, it's not hard to read b/w the lines here. Barring a mishap at training Thursday, Rioli WILL play, possibly at the expense of Simpkin (not saying he'll be sub though).

The idea is Rioli, Breust and Poppy will be causing the headaches in Sydney's backline. As long as they can apply that defensive pressure and still play attacking footy... they can't be stopped. You can't defend that. Let's hope what we plan to put into action comes off.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Not worth the risk, as i have said in other threads he could help Sydney win rather than Hawthorn.

I am skeptical about Ceglar being shafted for McEvoy as well - Big Boy did not set the world on fire against the Swans earlier in the year, while Ceglar stood up and did very well against them.

Big Boy was actually fantastic vs them in Round 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. And Cyril starts, with Puopolo as sub. I think we need Duryea's hardness, so wouldn't have him as a sub. Puopolo would be manic coming on and applying pressure in the last.

I like this!! But we need Poppy to do a defensive job on a Shaw or Malceski....how bout Suckling Sub?

A Grand Final needs an X-Factor... 10 minutes of Stewy Dew brilliance turned 2008 GF on it's head.

I would not expect Cyril to have 25 possessions, but he doesn't need to in order to be effective. 10-15 minute patch of Cyril brilliance is what can turn a match and a Grand Final!

But, if Cyril does play - he needs to be starting 18!

INS: Big Boy, Cyril, Sewell
OUTS: Ceglar, Suckling, Simpkin, Duruya (3 out of these 4)

I would more than likley keep Simpkin as he provides the best value as a sub. You just know that he can come on and provide immediate impact - good insurance to take into a GF.

If Sewell doesn't come in, then I think Suckling can stay (ahead of Duruya).

Cyril moved well on sunday, harassed players around him, crumbing and being front and centre.

Sydney and port did that well and we had no one bar Cyril who did that.

Dont know who to take out though, but it may be a puopolo in the orange

Has Puopolo ever been sub before? Can't recall it if he has

OUT: Ceglar, Spangher
IN: McEvoy, Rioli

Our round 18 side featured a backline of
FB: Litherland, Gibson, Schoenmakers
HB: Hodge, Stratton, Birchall
Int: Suckling

With the above changes plus the current line up from last week we then have
FB: Duryea, Lake, Stratton
HB: Hodge, Gibson, Birchall
Int: Suckling

Lake obviously takes FB and plays on Tippett.

Gibson pushes up to CHB and plays on Buddy.

Litherland probably due to his height and speed played on Buddy for a bit in round 18 and wasn't great at it. Much better suited to a small. Duryea has that spot now and will take a smaller forward like Parker or McGlynn.

Stratton moves into Schoenmakers spot. Between him, Hodge, Birchall and Suckling they'll take care of the rest of the Swans that rotate through their forward line (Reid, Goodes, Parker, McGlynn, etc.).

Heart breaking to drop Spangher but he wasn't too good in the PF and I think the above balance will be good for our back line. It's also the only logical switch that allows us to maintain that balance, keep Simpkin in the super sub role AND bring Rioli in to bolster the forward line and midfield.

For reference that gives us a GF team of
FB: Duryea, Lake, Stratton
HB: Hodge, Gibson, Birchall
C: Smith, Mitchell, Hill
HF: Breust, Roughead, Lewis
FF: Rioli, Hale, Gunston
R: McEvoy, Burgoyne, Shiels
Int: Suckling, Langford, Puopolo
Sub: Simpkin

If fully fit, yes he plays. Start him at full forward and try and get him one on one.

Bruest Rioli Gunston
Puopolo Rough Lewis
Smith Mitchell Hill
Birchall Stratton Hodge
Gibson Lake Spangher

Hale Burgoyne Langford

Ceglar Duryea Shiels Suckling/Sewell

Back