Strategy Does Cyril Play?

Does Cyril Play?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just have to roll the dice with Cyril. From all the cryptic info from the footy club, I reckon Cyril has been ready to go for about 2 weeks now.

Just play him in the forward pocket, it will at least make one of the $hitney flogs sh.t his pants!

No. No. No.
Huge risk if we start him - hammy goes in first 5 mins game is lost.
Huge risk if the sub - comes on halfway during the third, does his hammy game is lost
Poppy has been useless lately. If Cyril comes in it must be for Poppy as the play the same role.
Simpkin is the best sub in business so silly to change that.

Anyone who wants to play Cyril just needs to see Luke Hodge's performance in 2012.

P.s. I think we will pick him, but in a late change Simpkin will come back in.

No. No. No.
Huge risk if we start him - hammy goes in first 5 mins game is lost.
Huge risk if the sub - comes on halfway during the third, does his hammy game is lost
Poppy has been useless lately. If Cyril comes in it must be for Poppy as the play the same role.
Simpkin is the best sub in business so silly to change that.

Anyone who wants to play Cyril just needs to see Luke Hodge's performance in 2012.

P.s. I think we will pick him, but in a late change Simpkin will come back in.

how about luke hodge in '08...3 borken ribs wasnt it?

its a mighty tough call....if he plays - does Nick Smith go to him?...as that would free up Breust , even though LB slaughtered him last time they played....im inclined to say yes, play him....im sure the med staff would fully test him out....and lets face it, Cyril's hammy is pretty likely to go even when he is 100% fit....

To play or not to play......
IMO VFL Finals that Cyril played was just felt like a training session for him. I guess he was told to just ease into the game..I didn't see him wanting to kick goals rather wanting to help out others...

If we are looking at purely on VFL GF performances, Cyril shouldn't play, but I think there's more to it than that. And Cyril being that impact player who can change a game, I guess Clarko will take a punt on him, given an all clear from the medicos.

But who will sit out? Will he get the sub? Will he get injured again? Will he do anything at all?

Nobody can predict the future. Who knows, anybody can have a stinker on a given day....

I'm totally 50/50 on this one. My initial instinct says absolutely, he is the ultimate x-factor player in the entire league. And you GOTTA have a player out there like that.
But when I think about it further, I agree with others above, if he goes ping in the first 5 minutes, which history says he could, that's a complete disatser.
Gotta agree with Sammy on this one, glad it's not me making the decision....

We need Cyril to play for his X factor. I expect a tight game and he has the ability to turn a tight game.
I would not use him as a sub either. If he is fit, he is fit enough for a whole game.
I believe the Box Hill experience was all about confidence in a game day situation - not the strength of the hammy. I believe he has fully recovered physically from that injury. It is more of a mental thing now.
It is a matter of whether he has confidence in his fitness. Therefore if he says he's right to go them I pick him.

My only issue with Spangher out is height down back. It allows Sydney a much easier task of isolating our defenders. Spangher is very good at reading the play and leaving his man to impact a contest, he is a poor mans Josh Gibson in the same team. He had a bad game against Port but was matched up on smaller opponents, against the Swans he will be more at home against Reid or Goodes. I hope Goodes brings his tackle intensity of the last month to this game we will waltz out of defense with him and Tippett in their if the ball hits the deck.

Based on that I would not have him out for Cyril. If Cyril is fit then I think he plays deep forward with the odd spurt in the middle if he feels up to it. We have not seen him play for some time but he is dynamic in the middle when he pushes himself in to center square bounces. For mine if he can go 100% in bursts, can chase and tackle and the team can accommodate him in the goal square for 50% of the game then he plays
Like I said in my post though with those changes our defensive line up from last time changes so it's Schoey and Litherland out for Lake and Duryea. A minor height downgrade with Duryea but his leap is fantastic and he'll be playing on one of the smalls anyway.

Last time we started with Schoey on Tippett, Litherland on Franklin and with the rest of the defenders trying to peel off to help. Which didn't work. Second half Gibson moved on to Franklin and Litherland and the others went one on one with the rest of them.

Lake is the clear upgrade on Schoey to play on Tippett. Gibson will play on Franklin from the first bounce this time. Duryea/Birchall/Suckling to McGlynn/Parker/resting mid, Stratton/Hodge will take Reid/Goodes. Duryea is also very good at being able to peel off and go 3rd up.

With McEvoy in for Ceglar it also gives freedom for him to float back if Pyke goes forward to stretch us. Then Hodge can go into the middle or forward for a bit as they won't have Tippett, Franklin, Goodes, Reid and Pyke all forward at once unless they want us to run it out easily. Probably max of any of those 3 at a time.

Basically we won't be disadvantaged for height based on this line up compared to last time.

I will be totally honest here, I don't know. However from reading what the club is reporting, I believe he will play.

Too many here seem to be judging Cegs on his one bad kick that almost cost us the game. He was good against Geelong, and Sydney have a similar 1 ruck set up. I will be happy whoever gets to ruck with Hale. This is an area we can get an advantage.

I believe those that think Suckers will not play are wrong. He went well against Port, and will play.
IN: Cyril, maybe BB.
Out: Simkin, and maybe Cegs.
Doc to probably get the vest, and Sewell very, very unlucky.

Cyril play, though not sure who for. Thinking possibly for Suckling, as I think we need Simpkin as the sub as that impact mid. Also good enough to play a full game in a variety of positions if an early injury occurs.

Rioli should be told just stay in the F50, and create havoc. They'll have to worry about him both from an offence and defensive perspective. With him, Breust and Poppy in the F50, we have some pace and bloody good tackling ability

I will be totally honest here, I don't know. However from reading what the club is reporting, I believe he will play.

Too many here seem to be judging Cegs on his one bad kick that almost cost us the game. He was good against Geelong, and Sydney have a similar 1 ruck set up. I will be happy whoever gets to ruck with Hale. This is an area we can get an advantage.

I believe those that think Suckers will not play are wrong. He went well against Port, and will play.

no way Doc gets the vest - was awesome v Port and is in great form....

who makes way if they decide to play rioli?... who knows...if it is Simpkin, then i guess Rioli is the sub...

how about luke hodge in '08...3 borken ribs wasnt it?

its a mighty tough call....if he plays - does Nick Smith go to him?...as that would free up Breust , even though LB slaughtered him last time they played....im inclined to say yes, play him....im sure the med staff would fully test him out....and lets face it, Cyril's hammy is pretty likely to go even when he is 100% fit....
Hodge was fit and the only risk was pain. This is very different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cyril play, though not sure who for. Thinking possibly for Suckling, as I think we need Simpkin as the sub as that impact mid. Also good enough to play a full game in a variety of positions if an early injury occurs.

Rioli should be told just stay in the F50, and create havoc. They'll have to worry about him both from an offence and defensive perspective. With him, Breust and Poppy in the F50, we have some pace and bloody good tackling ability

yes - and his reading of the play....F50 pressure is immense

also - if he plays, he has to s

no way Doc gets the vest - was awesome v Port and is in great form....

who makes way if they decide to play rioli?... who knows...if it is Simpkin, then i guess Rioli is the sub...

I agree, Doc had a very good game, but someone has to get the vest, and that player will be unlucky, but mo where as near as unlucky as those who just miss out.
I can't see Cyril as the sub to be honest. Very difficult times for our selectors.

Cegs was terrible.
Failed to get to at least two ruck contests on the southern side, was at the same ruck contest with hale a few times when one should have been forward, and should have got back quicker to touch that late goal.
If Cyril is in, Pup must go out.

If Lewis is fit and unbothered by his corky then I'd be inclined to leave Rioli out. He's spent so much time on the sidelines I have doubts over what impact he could have even if fully fit, reminds me of the Swans rushing Jetta (admittedly half the player Cyril is) back for the final against us last year when clearly he wasn't up to it.
If there are doubts over Lewis on the other hand we may not have a choice.

Of course I'd love nothing more than to watch Cyril come in and play a blinder to prove me wrong but 10 weeks out is a long time for anyone.

Like I said in my post though with those changes our defensive line up from last time changes so it's Schoey and Litherland out for Lake and Duryea. A minor height downgrade with Duryea but his leap is fantastic and he'll be playing on one of the smalls anyway.

Last time we started with Schoey on Tippett, Litherland on Franklin and with the rest of the defenders trying to peel off to help. Which didn't work. Second half Gibson moved on to Franklin and Litherland and the others went one on one with the rest of them.

Lake is the clear upgrade on Schoey to play on Tippett. Gibson will play on Franklin from the first bounce this time. Duryea/Birchall/Suckling to McGlynn/Parker/resting mid, Stratton/Hodge will take Reid/Goodes. Duryea is also very good at being able to peel off and go 3rd up.

With McEvoy in for Ceglar it also gives freedom for him to float back if Pyke goes forward to stretch us. Then Hodge can go into the middle or forward for a bit as they won't have Tippett, Franklin, Goodes, Reid and Pyke all forward at once unless they want us to run it out easily. Probably max of any of those 3 at a time.

Basically we won't be disadvantaged for height based on this line up compared to last time.
Did Spangher play last time? If not maybe they change Rioli for Spangher leaving simpkin as sub...

Was he in good form?

A lot of angle to the dangle, his right hamstring was taking most of the load.

I asked him if he was right to go....he said yes, doesn't know if he's playing as yet, will find out tomorrow.
I said that there was a 2 hour segment on him on SEN this morning in which I laughed. his response....stupid. "with a shake of the head". Fair point.
Wished him luck... and got the hell out of there.

I was contemplating testing his hamstring out by stealing his wallet.

A lot of angle to the dangle, his right hamstring was taking most of the load.

I asked him if he was right to go....he said yes, doesn't know if he's playing as yet, will find out tomorrow.
I said that there was a 2 hour segment on him on SEN this morning in which I laughed. his response....stupid. "with a shake of the head". Fair point.
Wished him luck... and got the hell out of there.

I was contemplating testing his hamstring out by stealing his wallet.

Could have held his piece for him. No need for him to exert more effort than needed pre-game.

I surprised with the attention on him this week that he would go to the shopping centre.

Back