Does Sandilands play predominantly forward in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sandi and Darcy should just play alternate weeks, and not at the same time. With Sandi playing mostly home games.

If you ask Sandi to play every week, it is almost a guarantee that he will break down.

Sorry disagree, most ruckman I’ve known need to play week in week out, to get a rhythm going... swapping and changing roles doesn’t do them any good.... they are like a clock, slow motion but reliable... this year Darcy didn’t have the fitness to run out games after a few games on the Trott and got rested... that’s to be expected he is young and needs to build up a fitness base... he knows that! Expect more of that, with Sandi playing the main role and being rested for Darcy to play for a while... just not week in week out... that would serve no purpose for either player or center bounce continuity.

Sorry disagree, most ruckman I’ve known need to play week in week out, to get a rhythm going... swapping and changing roles doesn’t do them any good.... they are like a clock, slow motion but reliable... this year Darcy didn’t have the fitness to run out games after a few games on the Trott and got rested... that’s to be expected he is young and needs to build up a fitness base... he knows that! Expect more of that, with Sandi playing the main role and being rested for Darcy to play for a while... just not week in week out... that would serve no purpose for either player or center bounce continuity.
I've seen both Clarke and Griffin step in when required and play their best football. It isn't the same as weekly rotating, which I don't support, but Sandilands won't play every game and will be managed.

I've seen both Clarke and Griffin step in when required and play their best football. It isn't the same as weekly rotating, which I don't support, but Sandilands won't play every game and will be managed.

We've never rested or managed anyone in the entire history of our club bar Pavlich once - a couple of weeks before his retirement game.

You seem pretty convinced that we're gonna do it this year despite us never having done it before. Not sure why.

No club has ever done this really. The closest anyone gets to it is leaving their aging champions out of the team that flies to Perth to save them the air trip. But that only happens once a year.

We need another tall to pair with Cox and Darcy isn't going to be kept out of the side. Part of managing Sandi so he doesn't break down surely involves rotating him through the forward line. There is literally no other competition for that spot anyway with Taberner apparantly recovering for a while and Apeness just getting into it again.

We don't even need Sandi and Darcy to be good up forward, we literally just need a contest. It's a no brainer.

I don’t think there’s anything to suggest that Tabs can’t be ready for round 1 - if he’s good enough.

And imo that comes down to whether he thinks he’s good enough. Hopefully his strong finish to last year and his new contract have helped to convince him of that.

Sandi plays wherever the hell Sandi wants to play. OK? Anybody have a problem with this? Step into the ring...

View attachment 445225
I can't say how much I love this photo of Sandi in the boxing ring. OMG, it is telling the opposition, don't mess with me, or else... He is looking amazing! Any talk of retirement makes me mad!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The issue playing Sandi forward is he rarely kicks rather hands off. He doesnt mark well enough, ie uses his body to out muscle his opponent often enough or has strong hands. Then he gets his arms chopped and the ball goes to ground.

His only forward value is he will draw opponents but then we'll do a Pav and kick to him rather than the freer player.

Darcy should play every game he can. Sandi should be managed to provide impact. Darcy's game time increases as Sandi's decreases.

The question should be can he play with Darcy? Question then is can Darcy play forward, that we will hopefully see soon.

Scott Jones is agile, quick and a good kick. Preseason is a good time to give him a early tryout to see if he can play the tall ruck\forward that would give us a target @ CHF, Tabs @ FF and McCarthy a 3rd tall option. Granny Val

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anything to suggest that Tabs can’t be ready for round 1 - if he’s good enough.

And imo that comes down to whether he thinks he’s good enough. Hopefully his strong finish to last year and his new contract have helped to convince him of that.
With guesstimations having him out of full training until late January, I think he's going to be underdone and unfortunately isn't a good enough player to make up for it with raw talent.

With guesstimations having him out of full training until late January, I think he's going to be underdone and unfortunately isn't a good enough player to make up for it with raw talent.

If he’s in full training for near on two months that will be enough physically - he’s naturally fit and now has the body. It’s whether he can dominate against peers in that time. And that comes down to where his head space is at.

I got told he would be back in full training mid Jan. Wont be underdone at all.

Not much point in it since the team is rebuilding IMO. Some others may have said this, but a better approach would be to have Sandilands the main ruckman for home games, with Darcy on interchange playing a bit of forward like he does for Peel. For away games, Darcy and Strnadica should play, with Sandi resting, unless we have a chance to make finals I guess.

Not much point in it since the team is rebuilding IMO. Some others may have said this, but a better approach would be to have Sandilands the main ruckman for home games, with Darcy on interchange playing a bit of forward like he does for Peel. For away games, Darcy and Strnadica should play, with Sandi resting, unless we have a chance to make finals I guess.
I think Jones is a much more likely candidate for Nads' role this season.

We've never rested or managed anyone in the entire history of our club bar Pavlich once - a couple of weeks before his retirement game.

You seem pretty convinced that we're gonna do it this year despite us never having done it before. Not sure why.

No club has ever done this really. The closest anyone gets to it is leaving their aging champions out of the team that flies to Perth to save them the air trip. But that only happens once a year.
You are assuming we have never rested anyone but I would be surprised if players who could have played have not been rested before. In fact we've famously rested half our team on a couple of occasions. If it suits the team to rest players we do it.

Currently we have 4 developing ruckmen on our list plus one aging ruck who has a limited future with the club. I am confident that the club will manage that situation in line with the list rebuilding that has been happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact we've famously rested half our team on a couple of occasions. If it suits the team to rest players we do it.

We rested half the team because the game and the points were meaningless. We don't rest players when there's something to play for. Sandilands, Mundy and Johnson will play every game if they are fit enough to do so.

Lyon is coaching for his career now, he isn't going to leave out the competition's best ruckman just for the sake of it.

Playing Sandi hasn’t worked at any point during his career. Sure as hell won’t happen this year.

- Poor kick outside 20m
- Poor contested mark (mainly due to the scrappers)
- Slow on a lead
- Useless if ball goes to ground
- wouldn’t provide much in way of defensive pressure

He’s either rucking or on the bench this year.

We rested half the team because the game and the points were meaningless. We don't rest players when there's something to play for. Sandilands, Mundy and Johnson will play every game if they are fit enough to do so.

Lyon is coaching for his career now, he isn't going to leave out the competition's best ruckman just for the sake of it.
we are clearly in rebuild mode, which means that winning games comes a fair distances behind developing the squad for the future. Doesn’t make any game meaningless but it rejigger the priorities. That is the reason Pavlich was rested. If we needed to win an away game last year he would have been playing.

Coaching for his career? What a larf. Lyon’s career depends on the rebuild not winning games. Not only that, but it is abundantly clear that he and the club knows that. So do most supporters. So do the senior players. His career certainly does not depend on Sandilands or MJ getting games.

I predict that we will not be contending for a finals spot by round 15-ish, and players such as Darcy, Jones and other rucks will play instead of Sandilands, Cox and Hughes (or others) instead of MJ, plus other young players instead of Ballantyne, Spurr etc. We’ve already seen that with D Pearce and Sutcliffe who were best 22 regulars.

They are being phased out.

I think we will start the season with Sandi and Mr Darcy in the team rotating at full forward. I think it is a structure that Ross believes in and I don't have a problem with trying it. It gives game time to Darcy without being too hard on his young body.

It may or may not be a structure that we can take into the future. Strnadica, Jones or Meek may step up.

I think we should be looking to win games and play finals. We probably won't make it but having something to play for and being competitive against good teams is important to development in my opinion. More important than getting games into the youth in an uncompetitive team, where the oppo are barely trying.

Big Lloyd is looking good too. We're very adequately covered in this area.
He could indeed inherit the earth, but surely the value of each of them as a resting forward is going to be critical.

How do you evaluate Darcy, Jones and Meek as resting forwards (60% game time)?

How do you evaluate Dixon, Taberner and Apeness as pinch hitting rucks (15% game time)?

The club would already have a structure they prefer, but we have some fluidity at this stage.

He could indeed inherit the earth, but surely the value of each of them as a resting forward is going to be critical.

How do you evaluate Dixon, Taberner and Apeness as pinch hitting rucks (15% game time)?

The club would already have a structure they prefer, but we have some fluidity at this stage.

Jones and Meek are both very agile and mobile as ruckmen but as forwards (60% game time) perhaps not so much. Darcy and Strnadica are even less mobile/agile but have good forward sense.

Taberner is dreadful as a ruckman, Ape isn't much better and Dixon is a long way off being an AFL player at this stage. Cox is the better option than them all at this stage to play the pinch hitting ruck role (15% game time).

The good thing is we'll be able to pick and choose from the many options for Freo. Fitting all the reserves into Peel will be fun though.

Personally I don't care who get games as long as one of those blokes ends up being a ruck/key forward kicking 30-40 goals year. 1 is fine, 2 would be awesome.

Jones and Meek are both very agile and mobile as ruckmen but as forwards (60% game time) perhaps not so much. Darcy and Strnadica are even less mobile/agile but have good forward sense.

Taberner is dreadful as a ruckman, Ape isn't much better and Dixon is a long way off being an AFL player at this stage. Cox is the better option than them all at this stage to play the pinch hitting ruck role (15% game time).

The good thing is we'll be able to pick and choose from the many options for Freo. Fitting all the reserves into Peel will be fun though.

When 2017 was played out, Tabs didn't have any competition as other talls ere developing (Strnadica) or Injured (Apeness).

Now we got Dixon, Lloyd Meek and Scott Jones.

If I was a betting man and Had to guess who is going to get a debut game between Scott Jones and Lloyd Meek, I would say Jones will get a debut game this season.

You don't get a mature aged 22-24 year old 203cm and 115 kg bloke In Scott Jones and not give him a debut game if he good enough. Plus he been developed as a ruckman and takes good marks around the ground.

Clearly this is the intention. If our opposition's defenders come out with large padded red batons Sandi is the man in front of goals...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back