Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 49.7%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At times he does- like the goal he kicked against the lions - roved off the pack and nailed the snap.

Have said this many times, but I really can’t wait til he gets to 70-80 games and gets the fitness to run through the middle more. I do see him projecting more into a De Goey type rather than Judd, though. I think they both had similar concerns around production early, but both have the skills to be damaging with ball in hand.

Nope, not really. But good off-season effort. From now until the week or so before round 1, we are in that bleak, desolate empty-thread-land and having won the Granny somehow makes things even flatter in the doldrum months. And it's less interesting to fantasise about how to win the flag (or if you're Freo, to rise up to 8th on the ladder) because we just won one. The coming weeks will be challenging, so please keep up the innovative posts. Btw Judd's shoulders were so crook as a youngster, before they tightened them up under the knife, that he couldn't tackle in his first few games. It didn't matter that much, that's how good he was.

Not sure about the Judd similarities, but he has a certain poise and class which looks promising.
Apart from looking a bit like Shuey, he reminds me more of Shuey than Judd.
Hopefully he'll be uniquely Venables in his own right?
How good can he be?...imho, very good.
Add some weight, another preseason and hoping for an impressive 2019.
(and he can stick tackles)

Last edited:
Venables is putrid, sorry but he had one good game in the finals and in the GF he may as well of went for a beer somewhere and we wouldn't of noticed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Venebles goal sense, he positions himself really well when he is stationed in the forward line even if he does miss a few set shots

I also like his defensive pressure

That said, at the moment he simply isn't getting anywhere enough of the ball to influence the contest a lot. I think a fair target for him next year would to try to average about 15 possessions per game. It's a good target for his development

He just needs to get out of the forward line. His best moments are up the ground winning ground ball contests. Super clean hands.

He’s not a very good contested mark so I can’t see the point in trying to turn him into a full time forward.

A lot of his lack of finding the ball is the position he plays. Many times kicks are botched to him and when you have a forward line as deep as ours he isn't going to be used often.

I think he would do well on ball but obviously doesnt have the experience or fitness for that yet. He's done ok the few times he has been at a centre bounce. Priddis mentioned him when he retired as one to look out for going forward.

I think athleticism-wise they are in the same region, however DV just doesn't have the nous to be a midfield accumulator or to read the play as well as Juddas.

Back