Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

At Preston watching my nephews under 19’s Prelim.......the Macedonian Marvel was in the rooms at half time.

Legend.

Can someone get past the paywall and repost the Malthouse articled that just popped up on the herald sun?
Collingwood’s midfield is the best in the business. By far.
Brodie Grundy, who I have tipped to win this year’s Brownlow Medal, is an extraordinary ruckman.
Steele Sidebottom dazzles as the Magpies’ heartbeat. Adam Treloar, Taylor Adams and superstar Scott Pendlebury help form one hell of a driving force.
Throw in Tom Phillips on a wing with his ball-getting ability, Jeremy Howe’s capacity to mark the ball anywhere, anyhow. Jamie Elliott has been a sensation in the forward line since his return from a hamstring, Jaidyn Stephenson who can bamboozle the best defenders, revelation John Noble at half-back with his speed and delivery skills and Darcy Moore and Jordan Roughead — who are able to limit and almost eliminate any key forward’s effectiveness — and you have a team that is in ripping form at the perfect time.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SACKED PODCAST

Collingwood has set its game structure and strategies for September in motion. Built on a massive injection of disposals through the middle of the ground, there is a deliberate attempt to maximise all six forwards instead of one or two key targets; to spread the workload as well as the scoring.
Collingwood’s midfield has an extra ball-winner in All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy.
Collingwood’s midfield has an extra ball-winner in All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy.
Like its midfield, there is an array of weaponry in the attacking arc and just when you think one goalkicker is beaten, another one pops up.
Its modus operandi is to control the football. The Magpies want the ball in the hands of their best ball-users, primarily the midfielders.
They prey on teams who want to overuse the ball backwards of centre. They cut off any lateral ball movement that could allow their opposition to transfer the ball from the backline out and around towards their forward line.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Every Australian game of the FIBA Basketball World Cup LIVE Find out more
They force their opponent to overuse the ball, and the third or fourth disposal is generally the one that comes under the most pressure. Then they feast on the loose ball.
Collingwood’s backline is miserly and quick. The Magpies’ defence win the contested footy, but equally win the uncontested ball.
Collingwood is vulnerable to quick and long ball movement into its opponents’ forward line. Moore, Howe and, to a lesser degree, Roughead, like to fall off their direct opponent to act as the interceptor. If the ball is moved quickly, it can catch them out.
MORE AFL

Frawley’s best mate: ‘He was always Danny to us’
Eagles hurting for ‘sorry’ Rioli
Howe is no one-speccie wonder
Geelong didn’t take its chances last week. Nor did Essendon in Round 23.
The Magpies’ winning scores of 9.7 (61) against the Cats and 10.16 (76) against the Bombers were hardly huge totals, but when they defend well then opposition tallies of 7.9 (51) and 10.5 (65) respectively don’t win.
The biggest mistake made by Collingwood’s opponents this year has been when they made the assumption they can go head-to-head against its midfield.
In Round 22, Adelaide pitted its ball-getting midfield directly against the Pies’ midfield and paid a huge price. Pendlebury amassed 34 disposals, Treloar 27 and Adams 24, while the work done by the Collingwood midfield limited the ascendancy of the Crouch brothers who finished with 24 disposals each.
Collingwood won by 11 goals.
GWS and North Melbourne both smashed the Pies during the home-and-away rounds by deploying the right type of player to curtail Sidebottom or Pendlebury.
Stream every match of the 2019 Toyota AFL Finals Series before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
Steele Sidebottom was restricted to just 14 disposals in the 2018 Grand Final. Picture: Michael Klein
Steele Sidebottom was restricted to just 14 disposals in the 2018 Grand Final. Picture: Michael Klein
West Coast quickly worked out in last year’s Grand Final that it couldn’t afford to let Collingwood’s midfield run free and set Mark Hutchings the task of tagging Sidebottom. Hutchings completed his job to great effect.
Given that Collingwood must make at least two changes because of injury, this weekend off is a blessing.
The big question is who will come in for the hard-to-replace Levi Greenwood?
James Aish at half-back could do so without upsetting the team’s game structure.
Jordan De Goey has already had a stint on the sidelines and while the Pies miss him, he hasn’t been part of their recent revival. They can win without him.
Will they throw caution to the wind and recall Daniel Wells, or go with fall-back option, Travis Varcoe? It may come down to horses for courses.
The one thing about the Pies is that they are rarely, if ever, easily beaten.
They are a very, very good football team, and they will fight to the finish.
Mick's Pies ratings
Mick's Pies ratings

* Best midfield in the league. TICK
* Fantastic spread of goalkickers and scoring targets. TICK
* Can be brought undone by fast, long ball movement. CROSS
* Vulnerable if Pendlebury or Sidebottom are put to sleep. CROSS

How’d he go?

They lost by 8 points.......bad kicking is bad football.

Anthony Rocca was there also......he coach's at a West Preston. They were up next.

How’d he go?

Love my nephew Soups.

He just texted me (even though they have started Mad Monday) to thank me for coming to the game. He also said bad kicking is bad footy.

Such a beautiful boy to text me tonight especially after I offered “constructive” criticism last week after his loss about his team that he didn’t reply to.

He is also the Captain of the team and this one hurt without his uncle telling him this week.

Finals is brutal..........I just told him he did his team proud today and that I love him.

Last edited:
Love my nephew Soups.

He just texted me (even though they have started Mad Monday) to thank me for coming to the game. He also said bad kicking is bad footy.

Such a beautiful boy to text me tonight especially after I offered “constructive” criticism last week after his loss about his team that he didn’t reply to.

He is also the Captain of the team and this one hurt without his uncle telling him this week.

Finals is brutal..........I just told him he did his team proud today and that I love him.
He’s lucky to have your support mate :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

has anyone seen the post about 100 years history repeating ? i can't find it.
A century ago Collingwood played the grand final and lost to south Melbourne by 5 points in 1918

Collingwood 7.15.57
South Melbourne 9.8.62

One year later they played the grand final and won by 25 points against Richmond tigers in 1919

Collingwood 11.12.78
Richmond 7.11.53

A century later Collingwood played the grand final and lost to West Coast by 5 points in 2018

West Coast 11.13.79
Collingwood 11.8.74

With so much time between games, Ive been venturing further from the Collingwood board and observing some other boards and threads.

Just had a look at the last couple of pages of the Richmond "No opposition supporters" thread on opposition games... What a pack of whingers and conspiracy theorists.
- Suggesting Greene's suspension is AFL driven to support us
- The team overseeing the suspension is corrupt and shows collingwood bias
- We have been gifted a dream run (probably true in part, but you make your own luck)

So much delicious content.

Hilarious reading. They are scared of us.

With so much time between games, Ive been venturing further from the Collingwood board and observing some other boards and threads.

Just had a look at the last couple of pages of the Richmond "No opposition supporters" thread on opposition games... What a pack of whingers and conspiracy theorists.
- Suggesting Greene's suspension is AFL driven to support us
- The team overseeing the suspension is corrupt and shows collingwood bias
- We have been gifted a dream run (probably true in part, but you make your own luck)

So much delicious content.

Hilarious reading. They are scared of us.
That might be the supporters but doubt their players are scared of us.

Our supporters might be scared of our history etc but doubt the players are scared of either GWS or Richmond.

Two more games, two more wins. That simple.

That might be the supporters but doubt their players are scared of us.

Our supporters might be scared of our history etc but doubt the players are scared of either GWS or Richmond.

Two more games, two more wins. That simple.
Absolutely agree. I was specifically referring to the tin-foil hat wearing supporters, of course, and am only too well aware that these professional footballers probably dont give a s**t about hoodoos/colliwobbles/history.

One day to team being announced.

So excited.

Can’t decide go to some races at Caulfield then leave for footy as taking train.

Caulfield to Richmond is super simple.

One day to team being announced.

So excited.

Can’t decide go to some races at Caulfield then leave for footy as taking train.

Caulfield to Richmond is super simple.
Nah, be too complicated.

Take iPad watch races when they on. That works.

i emailed the club yesterday and said that I would promote it with all my fans on my various online accounts, when they send me two tickets to the grand final. I'm just about to do the same with the airlines starting with Qantas - I prefer some legroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back