Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

My friendly discussion with happydude prompted me to take a walk down memory lane. It’s fair to say that we are in a different age demographic and that is the main source of our different views.

The game of Australian Rules was largely untouched for a century and it’s only with the greater emphases on tactics that third parties have felt compelled to make more rule changes in the past decade than they did in previous ten.

Plenty of people reading this post (Am I overrating my readership?) have been to the MCG. I normally sit in the Ponsford Stand but on occasion, such as last Thursday, I’ll reserve a seat in the Olympic Stand. As you ascend the levels I love the mural which depicts the original rules of the game. There were only 10! I chuckle at the rule referring to the handball and what is required for it to be legal. The reference to bouncing the ball when in possession if you want to go on a run makes this game unique. What is a mark is codified? Handballing, bouncing the ball and marking skills and others make Australian Rules the indigenous game. We didn’t want to play the game that they played ‘on the green fields of England.

This is why the modern game can irk me. The dumbing down of the skills has seen us slide ever closer to the game we didn’t want to play when we weren’t playing cricket.

I think rule changes can have a positive effect and I’ll offer a couple of examples.

The wind is howling outside my house at the moment and it reminds me of winter, Ted Whitten and the Western Oval. In the 60s it was legal to kick the ball over the boundary line on the full. The deliberate out of bounds rule was there but it wasnt used. I have vivid memories of Ted wasting time by lobbing the ball deep into the standing room crowd with impunity. It was a time wasting tactic and awfully boring to watch. So in the 60s (someone find the answer) the VFL changed the rule to what we see today. It took an eyesore out of the game. The supporters were happy. We got to see more footy as a result. No more time wasting.

In the latish 60s Peter Hudson crossed Bass Strait and joined the Hawks. These were the good old days when the Hawks were a very ordinary team with little success. Hudson’s ability to read the play, mark or take possession and then wobble a punt through the big Sticks is legendary. He’s one of the greatest players of all time.

Despite his ability to kick goals ad nauseum it didn’t result in a change of fortune until John Kennedy Sr devised a tactic to exploit the way the game was played and take advantage of Hudson’s goalkicking prowess. Positional play, particularly in Hawthorn’s half, was thrown out the window. Everybody was crowded around the ball (sound familiar?) leaving Hudson and his opponent deep in the forward line waiting for a clearance. The outcome was a Hawks premiership in 1971. Hudson kicker 150 goals and equaled Bob Pratt’s record for goals kicked in a VFL season. Hudson, poor bugger, didn’t break the record because the Saints came up with its own tactic for reducing his output.;)

This tactic was great for the Hawks but terrible for the look of the game. The VFL were proactive and introduced a change to the rules in 1973 when it introduced a centre diamond (later changed to a centre square) and restricted the access of players. It was about bringing the game back to a place that he had been and make it better viewing for the supporters.

As for poor Huddo, he seriously injured his knee before half time in the opening round of 1972. He’d already kicked 8 goals. While taking a mark which would have led to his 9th he was pulled over by Melbourne’s Ray Biffen (great name for a footballer) and twisted his knee. The Hawks chances of back to back sunk and Carlton took out the flag in 1972.

My point is that sometimes rule changes are necessary for the look and integrity of the game. You can’t leave it up to the coaches as they have never taken their custodial role seriously. The rules we have seen introduced this season will require further tweaking to restore the originality of Australian Rules footy.
We well written and thought out post mate :thumbsu:
I agree rule changes can be great and have a very positive effect, there are many examples of this for sure.

Too many changes, too quickly can also be a bad thing. Knee jerk reactions can also be detrimental to the sport. The substitution rule had a short life.
Sometimes the solution can be removal of rules rather than enforcing of new ones.

We well written and thought out post mate :thumbsu:
I agree rule changes can be great and have a very positive effect, there are many examples of this for sure.

Too many changes, too quickly can also be a bad thing. Knee jerk reactions can also be detrimental to the sport. The substitution rule had a short life.
Sometimes the solution can be removal of rules rather than enforcing of new ones.
I forgot about the sub rule. Worst ever.:thumbsu:

Last edited:
For those of us who loved the larrikin in footy.

RIP Garry.

Coaching legend Robert Walls says he is saddened by the news that former St Kilda, Geelong and Fitzroy footballer Garry Sidebottom had died after a long battle with cancer, aged 64, describing him as "my favourite player to coach".

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-sidebottom-dies-aged-64-20190329-p5190z.html
Way too young. A lovable larrikin that sadly no longer has a place in the AFL.

Rest in peace big fella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for poor Huddo, he seriously injured his knee before half time in the opening round of 1972. He’d already kicked 8 goals. While taking a mark which would have led to his 9th he was pulled over by Melbourne’s Ray Biffen (great name for a footballer) and twisted his knee. The Hawks chances of back to back sunk and Carlton took out the flag in 1972.

It has been mentioned over the years 'what if' Hudson did not get injured.

Won 13 games and missed the finals by a game. They would have made it if Hudson played the full year and perhaps knocked out the saints & pies but I reckon the blues and tigers that year still would have been too fast and talented & beaten them in the finals.

It has been mentioned over the years 'what if' Hudson did not get injured.

Won 13 games and missed the finals by a game. They would have made it if Hudson played the full year and perhaps knocked out the saints & pies but I reckon the blues and tigers that year still would have been too fast and talented & beaten them in the finals.
Yep, Hawks wouldn't have got anywhere near 28 goals with or without Hudson.

It says something for Hudson’s ability that he was flown in by helicopter for one game and kicked a bag. Then he played another season after missing five and kicked 100 goals. Unabashed fan of the man who played football looking like an unmade bed.
Would have been even more if Curly Austin hadn't kept him goalless in one of those games (only the 2nd player to do so, Barry Richardson being the other).

Amuses me tigers fall in heap on back of one or two key players injured.
Just remember folks. We won back to back flags in 1981 and 82 without our gun full back Geoff Southby in both grand finals.
One of our best defenders Curly Austin missed them both. Our full forward that was averaging around 5 goals a game in 1982 season was finished for the day about a minute or two into 1982 grand final too. I think Greg Wells and David Clarke missed in 82 too. Every great side can cover for a couple of key players missing.

Eagles missing Nick Nat and Gaff in last years grand final shows it is a lot more common than people seem to think.
You would rather have your best 18 out their on field but rarely happens even in premiership years.
You got to have depth well down past your 25th level player on list if you want to win flags.
We are getting close to making that a reality in 2020's.

Amuses me tigers fall in heap on back of one or two key players injured.
Just remember folks. We won back to back flags in 1981 and 82 without our gun full back Geoff Southby in both grand finals.
One of our best defenders Curly Austin missed them both. Our full forward that was averaging around 5 goals a game in 1982 season was finished for the day about a minute or two into 1982 grand final too. I think Greg Wells and David Clarke missed in 82 too. Every great side can cover for a couple of key players missing.

Eagles missing Nick Nat and Gaff in last years grand final shows it is a lot more common than people seem to think.
You would rather have your best 18 out their on field but rarely happens even in premiership years.
You got to have depth well down past your 25th level player on list if you want to win flags.
We are getting close to making that a reality in 2020's.
It just shows you that champion teams run deeper than the 22. it takes about 30 players working together, changing in and out of the side to get it don't consistently.

The tigers have been lucky injury wise until now. 2017 they had the least injured list ever.

It just shows you that champion teams run deeper than the 22. it takes about 30 players working together, changing in and out of the side to get it don't consistently.

The tigers have been lucky injury wise until now. 2017 they had the least injured list ever.

True. Swans also had a season somewhere in past decade where they virtually did not need to change their team for about six weeks. So probably what can happen is a team that many not have the best list if get if get an incredible good run of avoiding injuries they can get such a settled team of 22 players their synergy takes them a lot further in that season than they may have gone without such lady luck on their side. But it is freakish luck, You might get a season like that once every four decades as a club. You actually got to build a list expecting to need a really good 30 as you pointed out if you wanted to have sustained success. It is what Lions had in early 2000's, Cats had a decade ago and Hawks a few years back. Not sure lists across the league have ever been as close to evenly spread as they are becoming now.

Is that Tommy Alvin chatting with Geoff Southby.
Surely it is ?
32627142967_a950013eff_c.jpg

Is that Tommy Alvin chatting with Geoff Southby.
Surely it is ?
32627142967_a950013eff_c.jpg
Tommy was a great HBF. Still looks in great shape as well. He was the go to man for Gary Ablett Snr and did a wonderful job on a number of occasions. Ablett was at the end of his tether when we played the Cats at KP. High ball into our back half. Tommy sitting bravely under the ball. Ablett running in from behind. You know how this ends. OUCH!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back