Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by Aphrodite, Oct 12, 2013.

Put it out there
  1. Tony Lynn 15

Tony Lynn 15 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Looks like it was 1986.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Stig O'Hara

Stig O'Hara Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Carlton
    Was there.

Was the one where Ezard took the big spekkie.

Sellers, with the glorious fake, kicked the sealer.

thylacine60 likes this.
  3. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Was that the game with the Ezard mark? Don't recall that but remember it was bloody windy. He was a ripper Maclure!

4. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Remember another one against Essendon at Waverley when we lost by a small margin and kicked something like 7 goals 21 behinds! Williams hit the post from memory at one stage from not far out.

5. Blues177

Blues177 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    1986 Anzac day. A hard fought game and I remember thinking that we would not lose after Alvin kicked that goal.
    It was Essendon's first loss in 12 matches ...their previous loss was against the blues in the second half of the '85 season at Princes Park. Remarkable outcome at the time considering Essendon had beaten us 10 games in a row from '81-'85.

thylacine60 and Tony Lynn 15 like this.
  6. The Toad

The Toad Such is Life

Carlton
    Other teams:
    My Girls Netball team's
    God there were some bloody good, tough, hard players back then.
    Ant one of my favourite things was...................................they all wore black boots. :eek::eek::eek:

7. gab213

gab213 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Coburg VFL
    With the big game coming up next weekend it's a good time to reminisce about the last time we ruined one of Collingwood's celebrations, the Centenary game of 1992. Carlton was coming off a 4 day break that famous Thursday night in May, Kernahan kicked 7 goals as we smashed the Pies by 33 points.

8. Robbo's my hero

Robbo's my hero Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Sunderland
    I was a Carlton supporter from the day I was born in 1957. A third generation Blue who started going to games in 1964. The first game that caught my imagination was Round 5 1965 when Carlton played Collingwood at Victoria Park.

The rivalry between the two teams was intense before that day however with the arrival of Ronald Dale Barassi it reached a new intensity. The Melbourne v Collingwood rivalry of the 50s and 60s was legendary and it was based on a hatred so strong that it could make men do extraordinary things to win the contest. My memory of this day was the superhuman effort of RDB. It would take two seasons for the new Carlton to emerge but this was our 'line in the sand' game.

I had to go back into the archives to familiarise myself with the scores from that day. My lasting memory was of a game still up for grabs at orange time and one of RDBs best games. Collingwood jumped Carlton kicking 6 goals to 1 in the first quarter. By three quarter time Carlton led by 9 points. The last quarter saw Barassi pushing himself to exhaustion to get the Blues over the line. Carlton won the game 13.7.85 to 9.11.65. A 20 point win that looked unlikely in the first half. As for RDB he collected 25 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks and 1 goal. No tackles or contested possessions were recorded in those days but Barassi was a fierce competitor (a contested beast) so you can draw your own conclusions.

Happy with the win I was captivated by the effort that day that saw Barassi assisted off the ground by a couple of team mates as a result of physical exhaustion. I found the photo which still my stirs my emotions to this day.

IMG_0506.jpg

9. BigFrizz36

BigFrizz36 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    hard to imagine the effect that getting barassi had on the clubs fortunes. almost overnight it madevus a destination club and turned it all around. in 1967 carlton came down to tarwin lower where mike williamson had a holiday house. we were living there at the time so i took my history of the carlton football club hard copy book along and got the entire list to sign it with a personalised sig from barassi. there are some long list names there (munari, zeinert and some i cant read) along with the more famous. still takes pride of place in the family home 50 years on.

BLUEALLTHRU, ferrisb, BlueGum and 3 others like this.
  10. ferrisb

ferrisb Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Your post was from Oct 2013....

You asked for one of these.

[​IMG]

A week later we did pick one of those up...

images (52).jpg

Nice work, TL. Feel free to ask for another Sticks, Diesel or Braddles at the end of the year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  11. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I also reckon Lachie Plowman has a bit of the Peter Dean's about him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. footyfan78

footyfan78 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    there are no other teams worthy
    Thank you for sharing something so special before most of our times.
    Just love it mate.
    Barassi is such a special football person and even though he is well before my time probably the person in football I admire the most for what he has done for the game and my club. He created a culture and legacy that held strong for three decades. 8 premierships from 68 to 95 was started by his amazing influence on the football club culture.

Robbo's my hero, ferrisb and gab213 like this.
  13. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    The waskily wabbitt!

14. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    He actually knew what the ball was doing before the ball did! :eek:

ferrisb likes this.
  15. Scoopar

Scoopar Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Hearts of Midlothian, GB Packers.
    I can't say too much but give the time that has lapsed I can confirm that both the original 1970 and 1972 premiership cups were taken on the same night in 1977 by a couple of 18 year olds. Both cups were held for the next 17 years. The 1970 by a Collingwood fan; the 1972 by a Richmond fan. In 1994, I believe the replica 1970 cup was stolen. It was soon discovered the original cup had been replaced. The Collingwood fan (now married with children) was concerned about having something so valuable in his possession decided to return the cup via Eddie McGuire. A few days later the Richmond fan arranged to have his returned as well. For some stupid reason at the time (1977) Ian Collins chose not to go public with the theft of the cups and instead had replicas made. Had Carlton gone public, no doubt the cups would have been returned fairly quickly. A lot of people knew about the cups and where they were but luckily for the two blokes concerned were never revealed during that time between 1977 and 1994.

I can say I saw the cups a few times during the early 80's, they were sitting on the mantle piece at each house of the respective thiefs, one had fruit in it and the other had loose change and other knick knacks.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  16. Blues177

Blues177 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Thanks Scoopar for the post :thumbsu:

I visited the MGC museum earlier this year and noticed that the original 1970 premiership cup is located there.

Scoopar likes this.
  17. BigFrizz36

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Probably not relevant here but a great story similar to this. Before the 1966 soccer World Cup the trophy was on display in a secure (allegedly) location in England. Trophy was stolen and a ransom demanded with part of the liner sent as proof. Police arrested the person picking up the ransom (who claimed he was a go between only). No sign of the trophy though. Trophy was eventually found by Pickles the wonder dog who's owner received a 5000 pound reward (enough to allow him to buy a house). Pickles was in films, had an involvement in the world cup presentation etc but sadly died the next year by choking when his lead got caught on a branch whilst chasing a cat. The lead is still in the National Soccer museum. Strange but true.

Blues177 and Scoopar like this.
  18. The Blueseum

The Blueseum Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    One for the Blues detectives with good memories.

Been working on the Round 3 game of 1985 where we narrowly lost against North Melbourne in a crazy game.

I have noticed that lots of people in the crowd are wearing PINK.

Were the clubs involved in some sort of fundraising event at the time?

Would be interesting to know because it would predate the McGrath foundation by many years.

19. jimmyshell

jimmyshell Rookie

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I love flicking through this thread and reading of Blue days gone by!

I was 5 when my friend convinced me to support Carlton after we won the premiership in '95. Sad to think that since then, we haven't had much on field success (save a 99 GF) since! But oh well, good times ahead hopefully.

Because of that I don't have a lot of great memories that I feel are akin to some of the ones shared here, but...

My earliest memory was at a saints blues game, Bradley was running down the wing and took a mark which he juggled in his hands as he continued to run about 15 meters. After he grabbed it he went to take his kick as if the mark was there, but the umpires made him come back 15 meters to where he first touched the ball. I just remember all the saints supporters around me calling Bradley a smart arse (a few expletives omitted for this post). It was such a small moment, but one that will always stick with me as Braddles was one of my fav players early on.

I vividly remember SOS getting clocked by Milburn, and being really angry at my Mum cos she's a cat supporter and I somehow blamed her.

The 99 prelim against Essendon I was in tears. And then was again when we lost to the Roos a week later.

No other good memories until the 2013 elimination final against Richmond (which I went to) - an absolute monster game. Best game I've been to in recent history, closely followed by the Essendon win earlier this year!

Sorry for the rambling memories but just wanted to join in on the nostalgic fun!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

BlueGum, Blues177, BluStreak and 5 others like this.
  20. gab213

gab213 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Coburg VFL

Thanks for sharing your memories. I really admire the supporters of your generation who have stuck with the club through all the hard times without seeing much of the good times.

Growing up it was a lot easier for people like myself, we were so successful over such a long period of time.

I'm confident that we are approaching a time where we will experience some real success again. The thing that will please me most is that the younger supporters who have stuck with us when it would have been easy to hop right off will be rewarded for their loyalty.

Go Blues.

BlueGum, Arr0w and Kismet like this.
  21. Kismet

Kismet Premium Platinum

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Barnsley, Detroit Tigers

Good post.

Have been following our club since the late '60's, so enjoyed the golden age, but will somehow find it even more enjoyable to watch this group attempt to scale Everest.

BlueGum, BluStreak, gab213 and 2 others like this.
  22. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Having grown up in the 80's there were probably a lot of fingerless gloves as well. I remember a trend of pink and lemon jumpers that many young blokes were wearing!

BLUE ROOSTAR likes this.
  23. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I reckon we may have found another Michael Sexton with Marchbank!

BluStreak and ferrisb like this.
  24. BigFrizz36

Carlton
    Other teams:
    sexton was very good. think that marchbank may well have him covered based on current trajectory.

footyfan78, BlueGum and BluStreak like this.
  25. Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Hey guys, remember that time we beat GWS by a point? Good times.