Universal Love Dr Bruce Reid - Best wishes

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Could probably not be so blunt.

He could very well live for another 5+ years. If it was agressive and spread they wouldn't have operated, the fact they did means he has a chance of being around for a few more years yet.

Definitely not intending to be insensitive, as on reflection my post is.

Surgery could relate to any number of diagnostic procedures some of which are taxing.

Point is that mesothelioma is a disaster.

The only type I've heard of going into remission is testicular because it can be cut away (it's also an extremely rare form of meso). You'd think the news would be a bit more positive if that was the case.

1 year would be the average diagnosis. There is a less aggressive form not of the lungs that might give him 2 years but it's meant to be horrendously painful and it's another very rare form of meso.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rumply

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles
Echo the sentiments expressed here, hopefully he'll be around a bit & maybe get an acknowledgement at one of the games.

boncer34

It's just the way I say things
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Definitely not intending to be insensitive, as on reflection my post is.

Surgery could relate to any number of diagnostic procedures some of which are taxing.

Point is that mesothelioma is a disaster.

The only type I've heard of going into remission is testicular because it can be cut away (it's also an extremely rare for of meso). You'd think the news would be a bit more positive if that was the case.

1 year would be the average diagnosis. There is a less aggressive form not of the lungs that might give him 2 years but it's meant to be horrendously painful and it's a very rare form of meso.
5 year survival rate is about 9%. I'm gonna hope its that.

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
Sorry to intrude onto your board. :( Awful news. I had heard rumours of this because of my connections with the medical community/other footy club doctors, but kept quiet before an announcement in the absence of anything concrete and out of respect for confidentiality. My thoughts are with Dr Reid and his family. Life is so unfair sometimes.
Mesothelioma is a terrible disease indeed but I echo earlier comments in that it's a positive that he was even a candidate for surgery, and that he's now recovering from it.
Fingers crossed :hearts:

DERO

NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitcham FC
Sorry to intrude onto your board. :( Awful news. I had heard rumours of this because of my connections with the medical community/other footy club doctors, but kept quiet before an announcement in the absence of anything concrete and out of respect for confidentiality. My thoughts are with Dr Reid and his family. Life is so unfair sometimes.
Mesothelioma is a terrible disease indeed but I echo earlier comments in that it's a positive that he was even a candidate for surgery, and that he's now recovering from it.
Fingers crossed :hearts:
Thanks MWWP. In light of what you know and in your professional opinion, is there a realistic chance of recovery?

It must be heartbreaking for his family.

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
DERO I don’t know specific details about his particular case (and wouldn’t disclose them even if I did) , but in a general/population sense , sadly no as it’s not considered curable because it almost always is diagnosed only at an advanced stage after many years of slow undetected progression :( . Prognosis is always difficult to predict but tends to be in the months to a year or two range in a general sense. I’m hoping it’s on the longer end of that given that he had surgery , but that most of all , he can be comfortable and spend it with loved ones . Heartbreaking indeed :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom