List Mgmt. Draft 2018: Lions 1st (5), Power 1st (10), Hawks 1st (15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, for the record, the draft picks we have this year are...

* Default first round
* St. Kilda's second round and default second round
* North Melbourne's third round and default third round
* no fourth rounder (traded to St. Kilda)

So presuming the ladder finishes identical to last year, the picks we'd have are 12, 26, 30, 40, 48, 84 (3357 points)

Who are the hyped South Aussies? Lukosius, Rankine and...?

From Chris on the draft board:

But the draft crop is undoubtedly led by Jack Lukosius (195.5cm, 83.5kg from Woodville West Torrens). If he isn't the #1 pick this year, I would be very surprised. I would have absolutely taken him first overall last year and suspect most clubs would have too. To suggest he could be the best underage player to come through the draft isn't exaggerating. He was given a run down back in the internal trial match, but that'll just be for his development. As a CHF, he's the closest thing you'll get to Nick Riewoldt. He's got all the athleticism, elite hands overhead and reads the play as well as anyone. I would never condone tanking, but Lukosius is a strong argument for it.

Although I think Lukosius is the clear #1 pick, he could still end up at #2 on my draft board. Thanks to Izak Rankine (180.0cm, 76.4kg from West Adelaide) and simply how much I love to watch him play. I think when it comes down to it, he'll be more in the top 10 range as opposed to top 3 but that doesn't change how great he is. I've said for the last couple of years that he's good enough to be playing AFL football, and he dominated seniors in the SANFL at 16 years of age. Outside midfielder with elite speed, he's a game changer with every one of his possessions. There have been plenty of similar players taken in the first round over the last few years - Petrevski Seton, Florent, Simpkin, Ah Chee, Milera, Rioli. And Rankine is better than all of them.

I expect those two to the be the first players from South Australia picked this year, but there are still a handful of other first round prospects. Connor Rozee (185.0cm, 71.0kg from North Adelaide) could easily end up in the top 10 mix too. He's a high quality midfielder that can really do it all - inside, outside, half forward. Comparable to a player like Robbie Gray or Shaun Higgins. He was the best player at the U16 Championships a couple of years ago and would be a solid bet to get the double this year at the U18s.

The other first round chance at the moment is Jackson Hately (191.5cm, 79.5kg from Central Districts). He'll garner a lot of interest at his size, with potential to continue growing. He's a big bodied midfielder/half forward, a better behaved Jordan DeGoey. He's a strong player, good above his head. Picked up a casual 14 touches and 3 goals in the SA trial match. The only thing I'd want to see this year, is becoming more consistent with his disposal as he can be a bit rushed at times.

Yep - a combination of Tredrea and Riewoldt and no way we will have a chance to get him. A lock in for the Gold Coast.

So, you are saying that we get him three years from now. Nice! ;-)

Also, for the record, the draft picks we have this year are...

* Default first round
* St. Kilda's second round and default second round
* North Melbourne's third round and default third round
* no fourth rounder (traded to St. Kilda)

So presuming the ladder finishes identical to last year, the picks we'd have are 12, 26, 30, 40, 48, 84 (3357 points)
So...death riding the Saints, North (and of course NOT Melbourne for the Lever picks :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lukosius is out of our reach, short of a miracle, but at 180cm Rankine could get down to the 6-10 range or even lower. At that height there’s got to be questions in these days of 185-190cm mids whether he’s going to be brushed aside too easily. I’d love Port to have the balls to trade our first pick, plus a replaceable player to get a pick prior to Adelaide and nab him. That’s not going to happen under Hinkleys ‘still keeping the band together, unless the player initiates the move’ philosophy though.

Yep - a combination of Tredrea and Riewoldt and no way we will have a chance to get him. A lock in for the Gold Coast.
If we get Tom Lynch off them I'm happy that they get Jack.

Lukosius is out of our reach, short of a miracle, but at 180cm Rankine could get down to the 6-10 range or even lower. At that height there’s got to be questions in these days of 185-190cm mids whether he’s going to be brushed aside too easily. I’d love Port to have the balls to trade our first pick, plus a replaceable player to get a pick prior to Adelaide and nab him. That’s not going to happen under Hinkleys ‘still keeping the band together, unless the player initiates the move’ philosophy though.

Absolutely agree, especially if we make a prelim, GF or even win the premiership. An elite outside midfielder whose basically ready made and has elite speed is exactly what we need. Trade our first rounder and Broadbent for a pick inside the top 10.

Who would fill a pressing need for Port out of Rankine or Lukosius?

Putting some thought into it, I think it'd be Rankine. We could do with more midfield speed and I think Rankine would fill that need. With Lukosius, we already have three decent tall forwards who'll probably be sticking around for a while - Dixon, Watts, Marshall and to a lesser extent Howard. Unless Lukosius could potentially fill Westhoff's role.

Who would fill a pressing need for Port out of Rankine or Lukosius?

Putting some thought into it, I think it'd be Rankine. We could do with more midfield speed and I think Rankine would fill that need. With Lukosius, we already have three decent tall forwards who'll probably be sticking around for a while - Dixon, Watts, Marshall and to a lesser extent Howard. Unless Lukosius could potentially fill Westhoff's role.
If we were winding up in 2019 or 2020 Rankine. Top quality KPF’s are that rare Lukosius every day of the week if we had pick 1 though.

Waste of talent by the coaching staff.

As a recruiter (wanabee) it was great to see him across half back and on a wing. Just a chance to see him do something different. The same can be said for seeing Rankine play in the back half. Fair to say Rankine will never play in the back half again in any serious game of football.

Lukosious did not swap teams but in the last quarter he moved up onto a wing, fair to say he is a class above.

Lewis from Sturt is the other one who has some big wraps on him from some people.

As far as wanting a key forward Munn is the one to keep an eye on as he is more than likely going to be available at our picks.

Pudney did a lot of good stuff but his skill were off some of the time.

Of those I have not seen before Whitbread showed some real afl traits, Lochowiac has a lot to work with, Valente showed glimpses of class.

Ahmatt-Lovett wins the award for amazing talent with no fitness.

Hein for a big boy to get 10 contested possessions and use the ball well by hand did enough to get me wanting to watch him again. 197 is an interesting height, if he was 203 I would be excited by him.

Overall it looks like a talented and deep pool for the draft from SA this year.

Ahmatt-Lovett wins the award for amazing talent with no fitness.

From what I have been told, it's bash your head against wall with him. It will cost him any hope of a serious career too.

Lukosius 23 kicks for 0.2, is obviously practicing for AFL and playing 120m from goal for most of the game.

Played on a wing then across half back all game, rarely went inside 50. The kid is something special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back