Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond also offered us picks 7, 15, 26 and CCJ for #1, it was also better than what they proposed.

The danger with the shotgun approach is none of the players you take from that batch become marquee type elite, not guaranteed either with JHF but it is a lot more probable.

I just don't think he has diminished in value is my main point and what they have talked about is far less value than the trades actually offered last year.

Should the AFL give North Melbourne a priority pick to accelerate their rebuild? Club great David King believes it should be on the table.

The Roos languish in 18th spot on the ladder having lost their last 12 games and appear certain to finish in the bottom four for a third straight year.

King believes accelerating the rebuild of perennially struggling clubs is in the best interest of the league.

“It’s okay to not give the Roos a priority pick, I’m not rusted on either way, but if you don’t, don’t whinge about the crowds not going to the footy next year because they’re underperforming,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Don’t whinge about having to give financial assistance because the sponsorships are not there.

“This is what we’re talking about. Unless you give the fans something to watch, you become 1/18th of the business that’s underperforming and becomes a drain on the finances of the whole thing.

“We’ve always had priority picks and it annoys me because every team that has had success over the last 10 years has had a form of priority pick.

“I’ll give you some names of players who have been priority selections. Luke Shuey and Jack Darling. Jarryd Roughead and Xavier Ellis. Dale Thomas, Brett Deledio, Alex Rance, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen.

“They’re picks you can’t get wrong. What we did with Gold Coast giving them picks one and two a few years ago gives them a chance.”

The Kangaroos began their rebuild by delisting 11 players at the end of 2020, including the likes of Trent Dumont, Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Mason Wood, Marley Williams, Ben Jacobs, Sam Durdin and Jasper Pittard.

However, King refutes the suggestion that North Melbourne has put themselves in this position, saying all rebuilding clubs choose to bottom out.

“No one has the answer. There’s no right or wrong way to build a list, but there’s no point building list that’s capped to finish 5th to 8th. That we know and we’ve seen a lot of those,” he said.

“So have the Kangaroos done the wrong thing? I saw a list of the players they’d delisted and I know you’re big on Trent DumontMason Wood, are they going to be your guys that hang your hat on?

“I don’t mind if you don’t (want to give them a priority pick), but don’t whinge about the Kangaroos being 18th, 18th, 17th, 12th and 9th the last five years and saying ‘we’re not going to help them anymore, they’ve created this for themselves’.

“There’s not a rebuild that’s ever been done that the club didn’t create for themselves. This nonsense that you delisted too many players is ridiculous.

“Name me a rebuild that wasn’t caused by that club themselves.”

North Melbourne faces another enormous challenge on the weekend when they tackle Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

Should the AFL give North Melbourne a priority pick to accelerate their rebuild? Club great David King believes it should be on the table.

The Roos languish in 18th spot on the ladder having lost their last 12 games and appear certain to finish in the bottom four for a third straight year.

King believes accelerating the rebuild of perennially struggling clubs is in the best interest of the league.

“It’s okay to not give the Roos a priority pick, I’m not rusted on either way, but if you don’t, don’t whinge about the crowds not going to the footy next year because they’re underperforming,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Don’t whinge about having to give financial assistance because the sponsorships are not there.

“This is what we’re talking about. Unless you give the fans something to watch, you become 1/18th of the business that’s underperforming and becomes a drain on the finances of the whole thing.

“We’ve always had priority picks and it annoys me because every team that has had success over the last 10 years has had a form of priority pick.

“I’ll give you some names of players who have been priority selections. Luke Shuey and Jack Darling. Jarryd Roughead and Xavier Ellis. Dale Thomas, Brett Deledio, Alex Rance, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen.

“They’re picks you can’t get wrong. What we did with Gold Coast giving them picks one and two a few years ago gives them a chance.”

The Kangaroos began their rebuild by delisting 11 players at the end of 2020, including the likes of Trent Dumont, Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Mason Wood, Marley Williams, Ben Jacobs, Sam Durdin and Jasper Pittard.

However, King refutes the suggestion that North Melbourne has put themselves in this position, saying all rebuilding clubs choose to bottom out.

“No one has the answer. There’s no right or wrong way to build a list, but there’s no point building list that’s capped to finish 5th to 8th. That we know and we’ve seen a lot of those,” he said.

“So have the Kangaroos done the wrong thing? I saw a list of the players they’d delisted and I know you’re big on Trent Dumont … Mason Wood, are they going to be your guys that hang your hat on?

“I don’t mind if you don’t (want to give them a priority pick), but don’t whinge about the Kangaroos being 18th, 18th, 17th, 12th and 9th the last five years and saying ‘we’re not going to help them anymore, they’ve created this for themselves’.

“There’s not a rebuild that’s ever been done that the club didn’t create for themselves. This nonsense that you delisted too many players is ridiculous.

North Melbourne faces another enormous challenge on the weekend when they tackle Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

At least a sensible argument, but unfortunately has to come from a former north player. Stating the obvious, but it‘s such a shame that our supposed “professional“ media people are really just loud mouthed supporters of their own club they barrack for. Haven’t heard a single balanced view from any of them. Multi billion dollar industry that is really just reported on by over-zealous supporters of their own clubs.
none of them care about the game, they care about their own club winning. End of.

Best Case - Pick after our first (pick 2) & Additional soft cap space

Middle Ground - Mid first round or Start of second round & Additional soft cap space

Worst Case - Start of second round or Additional soft cap space

David King summed it up perfectly today. The AFL need to make a decision. Do they need all 18 clubs to be competitive every year? Do they want it to take less then 5-10 years for clubs to rebuild properly? If that’s the case, then provide assistance. If not, then get your vermin media to stfu, stop being “concerned” and let clubs rebuild.

On a side note, the whole “self inflicted” narrative, is one of the most ignorant narratives I’ve heard, particularly coming from West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Gold Coast and Bulldogs supporters.

Last edited:

“So have the Kangaroos done the wrong thing? I saw a list of the players they’d delisted and I know you’re big on Trent Dumont … Mason Wood, are they going to be your guys that hang your hat on?

Mason Wood seems to turn into Wayne Carey when people talk about us delisting him and using it as a reason why we shouldn’t get draft assistance.

Whats to say that North accepted either Adelaide or Richmonds offers of a trade for pick #1 and North pick duds. At least by taking JH-F North know what they get...PP should be given however l cant seeing it being #2 most likely middle or #19..The AFL cant make North to powerful in the future...

Mason Wood seems to turn into Wayne Carey when people talk about us delisting him and using it as a reason why we shouldn’t get draft assistance.

Yet when he was at North the same people would point at him as a reason why we were no good.

Yet when he was at North the same people would point at him as a reason why we were no good.

And who would have thought he'd end up as a squad player for the most middling side in AFL history.

Spreading the word.. love ya Kingy

On a side note, the whole “self inflicted” narrative, is one of the most ignorant narratives I’ve heard, particularly coming from West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Gold Coast and Bulldogs supporters.
This is the one that really boils my piss. West coast got Judd as a priority pick and then traded him for Kennedy, so theres the '06 and '18 flags right there, deny them that PP cos it was 'self inflicted' and they would be in the middle of the longest flag drought in the comp. Funny how that gets forgotten when oppo supporters crap on about 'a well run organisation shouldn't be in such a mess' or 'dig yourself out of your mess like everyone else' or 'the comp can't afford clubs to be down for such a long time'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the one that really boils my piss.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

This is the one that really boils my piss. West coast got Judd as a priority pick and then traded him for Kennedy, so theres the '06 and '18 flags right there, deny them that PP cos it was 'self inflicted' and they would be in the middle of the longest flag drought in the comp. Funny how that gets forgotten when oppo supporters crap on about 'a well run organisation shouldn't be in such a mess' or 'dig yourself out of your mess like everyone else' or 'the comp can't afford clubs to be down for such a long time'
Traded Judd for Kennedy and Masten (pick 3 in the trade), also got Darling and Shuey via PPs.

That's five premiership players from PPs right there.

Let’s be honest when it comes to anything regarding us . And there is always like some sort of clause if we receive anything that the other clubs don’t re our AFLW team you can have a team but you must have Tasmania as part of the name. 1656722027633.jpeg

Last edited:
Marstermind our resident historian.

If you ever get a spare 5 good sir, could you please compile a list of clubs that received PP’s over the journey and who they drafted/traded in with those picks. Im assuming it’s a fair few clubs in the comp that’s had at least one..

Something that’s cut-n-paste worthy, so anytime anyone mentions (on the main board, FB etc) us not getting any assistance we just simply comeback to this thread, cut-n-paste.. no argument, no back and forth, just a simple little cut-n-paste..

Opposition numpties hate facts..

Marstermind our resident historian.

If you ever get a spare 5 good sir, could you please compile a list of clubs that received PP’s over the journey and who they drafted/traded in with those picks. Im assuming it’s a fair few clubs in the comp that’s had at least one..

Something that’s cut-n-paste worthy, so anytime anyone mentions (on the main board, FB etc) us not getting any assistance we just simply comeback to this thread, cut-n-paste.. no argument, no back and forth, just a simple little cut-n-paste..

Opposition numpties hate facts..
Ummmmm - now please Mastermind!!!!!

How the * did they forget to write about the absolute leg up they got end of 2018? 🙄
Also reading that, you'd assume they had either just won the premiership or were at least amongst the top few teams competing this year, but they are currently 11th on the ladder. Huge assistance to start them off, unprecedented assistance package when that didn't work and now they are being lauded as the 'battlers that done good' for dragging themselves into the top half of the bottom half of the ladder!

For the media's next trick get ready for an article that starts out by chastising us for selecting Will Phillips over McDonald, but then also argues we don't need any draft assistance as Phillips (who will suddenly be the second coming of Keith Greig, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Barry Cable all rolled into one!) has been out all year and his return next year will effectively be an extra number 3 draft pick.

Please feel free to delete if visitors are not welcome and note my reply here is not to say a PP is not required or appropriate.

When people look at the old-school priority picks they almost always misrepresent which players were selected as a result of those picks. I understand the first picks were called “priority picks” but without them WCE still would have had pick #3 (Judd). The difference is they wouldn’t have had pick #6 (Sampi).

That’s not to say the old system was fair. It’s just to say that priority picks didn’t deliver Riewoldt, Ball, Judd, Cooney, Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Murphy, Thomas, etc. but Koschitzke, Clarke, Sampi, Ray, Tambling, Franklin, Williams, Kennedy, Pendlebury, etc.

Some clubs obviously nailed the second pick or we’re able to effectively use the asset for trading but quoting the first set of players overstates the average impact of the pick.

Please feel free to delete if visitors are not welcome and note my reply here is not to say a PP is not required or appropriate.

When people look at the old-school priority picks they almost always misrepresent which players were selected as a result of those picks. I understand the first picks were called “priority picks” but without them WCE still would have had pick #3 (Judd). The difference is they wouldn’t have had pick #6 (Sampi).

That’s not to say the old system was fair. It’s just to say that priority picks didn’t deliver Riewoldt, Ball, Judd, Cooney, Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Murphy, Thomas, etc. but Koschitzke, Clarke, Sampi, Ray, Tambling, Franklin, Williams, Kennedy, Pendlebury, etc.

Some clubs obviously nailed the second pick or we’re able to effectively use the asset for trading but quoting the first set of players overstates the average impact of the pick.
There is some truth to that, but the entire draft changes for both the team (or teams) with a PP and all the others if the PPs are removed. Who knows how other teams ranked the available players and how the draft would have played out without the PPs? The simple fact is the players were selected with a PP that were given to those teams to deliberately give them a leg up and advantage.

Also, given the uncertainty of drafting at the best of times, regardless of who is selected and how good a player they become, having two bites of the cherry in the top few picks of the draft is also an incredible advantage. If you are given one coin to toss and told you need a head to win you have a fifty percent chance, if you're given two coins to toss and told you need to get a least one head, you have a seventy-five percent chance (not saying draft scouting is as simple as a coin toss, but it illustrates the advantage of an extra pick)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back