Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints mate nearly fell over when I suggested this morning …”but but but”…it reminds me of 1996 when (thankfully) we were gutted at the last minute by selfish interested clubs who didn’t want North Lions to be too successful (that worked out well re Lions)
I sometimes wonder if we did become the North Fitzroy Kangaroos (I think that was the proposed name in the end), where our supporter base numbers would be.

I sometimes wonder if we did become the North Fitzroy Kangaroos (I think that was the proposed name in the end), where our supporter base numbers would be.
I might have followed them because the Game was better back then and right through to maybe the past 5 years

If it was to happen in 2024 or move to Tassy I am 100% sure that would be it for me and AFL purely based on how Basketballised the game has become

I might have followed them because the Game was better back then and right through to maybe the past 5 years

If it was to happen in 2024 or move to Tassy I am 100% sure that would be it for me and AFL purely based on how Basketballised the game has become
I guess I don't count because I came to North anyway, but a few of my Fitzroy supporting family were lost to the AFL supporting ranks and have said that they would have continued on.
They could just be saying that to shut me up, though.

Why are we even farking about talking about draft assistance, PP’s & number 1 draft picks next year when history tells us we will **** it up anyway like we did with this guy … 2 drafts ago .
View attachment 1418125
Remember Paul Roos sitting on On the Couch a decade ago beaming about how North paved the way for them to draft young superstar Gary Rohan by instead picking the plodding midfielder Ben Cunnington?

Why are we even farking about talking about draft assistance, PP’s & number 1 draft picks next year when history tells us we will **** it up anyway like we did with this guy … 2 drafts ago .
View attachment 1418125
You were fully behind the Phillips pick at the time. Now you're shitting on the guy in his own thread.

View attachment 1418125
A Dwayne follower -Give yourself an uppercut

A full time move to Tassie would be like a move to the GC. If we got moved there I had already decided to pack it in and follow other sports.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess I don't count because I came to North anyway, but a few of my Fitzroy supporting family were lost to the AFL supporting ranks and have said that they would have continued on.
They could just be saying that to shut me up, though.

Fitzroy people I know largely gave up, and returned in recent times to follow the tigers.

I do remember in the 90s all of my Roos mates were committed to following a merger of North and Fitzroy.

Am interstate merger is an up yours to the incumbent Melbourne fans, where I feel like a merger of Melbourne teams is still tough on the fans but has a future still.

View attachment 1418125

Can we ban morons who post s**t like this until Phillips is healthy and plays 30 games? Did you watch McDonald on the weekend or just check the stats and re-post crap by idiots?

The cherry on top is that it's a quote from Dwayne Russell, the king of w***ers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy people I know largely gave up, and returned in recent times to follow the tigers.

I do remember in the 90s all of my Roos mates were committed to following a merger of North and Fitzroy.

Am interstate merger is an up yours to the incumbent Melbourne fans, where I feel like a merger of Melbourne teams is still tough on the fans but has a future still.

Yeah, even I didn't come to North until the mid 00s. Dad switched to rugby league of all things, my brother just doesn't follow an AFL club.

Can we ban morons who post s**t like this until Phillips is healthy and plays 30 games? Did you watch McDonald on the weekend or just check the stats and re-post crap by idiots?

The cherry on top is that it's a quote from Dwayne Russell, the king of w***ers.
Or in the same vein, until Comben is healthy and plays 30 games…

I’m not a follower at all .
It’s what half of the footy industry is saying & soon to be all of it will be saying….
I’m sick of being the laughing stock
What they are saying right now.

Not what they were saying right after the draft, and not necessarily what they will be saying by the end of their careers.

Not what they were saying right after the draft, and not necessarily what they will be saying by the end of their careers.

I'm going to clarify my view of McDonald here by actually providing details. The reason I get so frustrated with this constant comparing him to Phillips is that in my opinion, McDonald has been comfortably the most overhyped young player in the competition. I liked McDonald in his draft year and I feel like he's gone backwards and underwhelmed since entering the AFL system - I expected to see much better signs than what he's showing. The hype around him is so embarrassingly misguided, I struggle to believe these people are watching the same player I am.

Go watch the game on the weekend and tell me what impresses you about him? I'll break down his goals from the weekend for a start, let alone his other possessions:
1st goal - Absolutely perfect lace-out pass from McInerney. The kick on goal was brilliant, props to him, he's a real nice set shot on goal and always has been.
2nd goal - Blind kick inside 50 that fell into his lap by luck. Kicked it from dead in front, 30m out
3rd goal - Was in no mans land when the ball came inside 50m, the ball hit the deck and he was by luck in heaps of space due to his initial poor positioning. He snaps with no one near him from around 30m out, straight in-front.

Some other concerns generally:
  • He was the most AFL-ready key position player in a long time and yet has struggled to win a spot in the Swans team. Admittedly, a great team, but a great young talent who's as ready made as we've seen in a long time...
  • He's looked very slow at ground level
  • Much of his touches come from lace out delivery, often further up the ground. He struggled to get separation on the lead against Jake Lever on the weekend on numerous occasions.
  • Constantly trails into marking contests when he should be flying - this happens a lot.
  • He just doesn't take contested marks often at all, he's not dynamic in the air, and he's playing on 2nd and 3rd string defenders most of the time. He's taken 10 contested marks in his first 16 games. For comparison's sake, Harry Mckay had 21 in his first 16 games, Curnow 17 in his first 16 games, Jeremy Cameron 26 in first 16, Naughton 22 in his first 16, Mitch Lewis 28 in his first 16, Tom Lynch 29 in his first 16. Feel free to name any other young star key position forward in the competition and I'm more than happy to pull up their first 16 games and the amount of contested marks they took.

I've watched almost all of his games this year for Sydney and he's played one nice game this year - Round 10 against Carlton where he kicked 3.3 and had 3 contested marks, apart from that, I've not found him to be impressive at all. Let me again remind you that this is with him coming into the competition off the best key position underage year in a long time, and with nothing but a clean run at it the moment he was drafted.

I'll be surprised if he ends up a top 8-10 key forward at any point in his career.

Last edited:

They'd be very, very good. North supporters wouldn't have dropped off en masse if we merged because we were a top team in a premiership year, and Fitzroy supporters had been ****ed around for so long with merger/relocation/extinction discussions and it looked like it was genuinely merge or die, and they wanted to stay in Victoria above all else, and a huge chunk of them seemed on board. I'm always careful when discussing this in North circles, I'll fall short of saying it should have happened, but I know one thing for damn sure- that was the absolute last time you could glue the supporter bases of 2 Melbourne clubs together and have the thing work.
Opportunity of the century, so you can't help but think what might have been, particularly in times like this, the sticking point of Greg Miller insisting on an expanded playing list, which we really really didn't need, seems a petty thing to piss it down the drain over.

0% chance you could do that these days, it was 1996 and the internet was in it's infancy, no way you could hoodwink desperate and anxious supporters into believing that a merger was the best and "only" option in the social media age.

And we would have gotten Jonathan Brown as a father/son. :think:

Last edited:
I’m not a follower at all .
It’s what half of the footy industry is saying & soon to be all of it will be saying….
I’m sick of being the laughing stock
Probably the same s**t they were saying about hodge when Judd was ripping it up

I'm going to clarify my view of McDonald here by actually providing details. The reason I get so frustrated with this constant comparing him to Phillips is that in my opinion, McDonald has been comfortably the most overhyped young player in the competition. I liked McDonald in his draft year and I feel like he's gone backwards and underwhelmed since entering the AFL system - I expected to see much better signs than what he's showing. The hype around him is so embarrassingly misguided, I struggle to believe these people are watching the same player I am.

Go watch the game on the weekend and tell me what impresses you about him? I'll break down his goals from the weekend for a start, let alone his other possessions:
1st goal - Absolutely perfect lace-out pass from McInerney. The kick on goal was brilliant, props to him, he's a real nice set shot on goal and always has been.
2nd goal - Blind kick inside 50 that fell into his lap by luck. Kicked it from dead in front, 30m out
3rd goal - Was in no mans land when the ball came inside 50m, the ball hit the deck and he was by luck in heaps of space due to his initial poor positioning. He snaps with no one near him from around 30m out, straight in-front.

Some other concerns generally:
  • He was the most AFL-ready key position player in a long time and yet has struggled to win a spot in the Swans team. Admittedly, a great team, but a great young talent who's as ready made as we've seen in a long time...
  • He's looked very slow at ground level
  • Much of his touches come from lace out delivery, often further up the ground. He struggled to get separation on the lead against Jake Lever on the weekend on numerous occasions.
  • Constantly trails into marking contests when he should be flying - this happens a lot.
  • He just doesn't take contested marks often at all, he's not dynamic in the air, and he's playing on 2nd and 3rd string defenders most of the time. He's taken 10 contested marks in his first 16 games. For comparison's sake, Harry Mckay had 21 in his first 16 games, Curnow 17 in his first 16 games, Jeremy Cameron 26 in first 16, Naughton 22 in his first 16. Feel free to name any other young star key position forward in the competition and I'm more than happy to pull up their first 16 games and the amount of contested marks they took.

I've watched almost all of his games this year for Sydney and he's played one nice game this year - Round 10 against Carlton where he kicked 3.3 and had 3 contested marks, apart from that, I've not found him to be impressive. Let me again remind you that this is with him coming into the competition off the best key position underage year in a long time, and with nothing but a clean run at it the moment he was drafted.

I'll be surprised if he ends up a top 8-10 key forward at any point in his career.
Souup - we all appreciate your views on young players but you are misguided on this one - amongst other things you are seriously underplaying the bolded part above. LMac's goal kicking ability is absolutely outstanding - was the case at WAFL level and is now the case at AFL level.

He is a genuine above average to elite tall forward prospect - he was brilliant against Carlton in the game you mention.

Now as to how he compares to Phillips in terms of the net benefit to the NMFC - we are kidding ourselves if we look at observed form and say we would stick to the pick we took in Phillips.

No one who has any credibility in the football would not swap those picks right now if given the opportunity.

If the Swans came to us now and said ..we will given you a second chance - straight swap McDonald for Phillips - and we said no - then we should accept every punishment coming our way.

Souup - we all appreciate your views on young players but you are misguided on this one - amongst other things you are seriously underplaying the bolded part above. LMac's goal kicking ability is absolutely outstanding - was the case at WAFL level and is now the case at AFL level.

He is a genuine above average to elite tall forward prospect - he was brilliant against Carlton in the game you mention.

Now as to how he compares to Phillips in terms of the net benefit to the NMFC - we are kidding ourselves if we look at observed form and say we would stick to the pick we took in Phillips.

No one who has any credibility in the football would not swap those picks right now if given the opportunity.

If the Swans came to us now and said ..we will given you a second chance - straight swap McDonald for Phillips - and we said no - then we should accept every punishment coming our way.

I wouldn't, not even close. I wasn't downplaying his goal-kicking at all, I mentioned it as something he's always been good with.

The main points stand. He's looked slow, nowhere near the contested marking threat he should be (honestly those stats I found were damning, I didn't realise how far behind he was at the same stage despite being more AFL-ready then all of them) and has generally been underwhelming when called up to AFL level, despite being as ready made pre-draft as you'll ever see.

I went back and watched footage from games this year and it only confirmed the way I was feeling about him. I'm telling you, ignore the mis-guided hype and watch him objectively.

Its not what Ross after we drafted WAP either. He was right on board because of the obvious reality we'd just been thru - no Cunners for the whole season and * all quality young (ie newly drafted) mids.

View attachment 1418125
Honest to god. People make out like we chose Sam Power over Buddy Franklin. I'm sick of reading about this s**t.

Personally I didn’t think keeping Shaun would help us whatsoever on field but you make a good point about his preparation which I’ve heard was very , very good .

But I will say the fact that Shaun rejected a 2 yr deal from another club after we delisted him , shows you his heart wasn’t in it anymore . So I’m not sure how beneficial he would’ve been on or off the field .
Didn't he move to Sweden?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back