Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

You were fully behind the Phillips pick at the time. Now you're shitting on the guy in his own thread.

I thought we would take McDonald or Hollands but my philosophy is to take the best midfielder with an early pick and Phillips was the best available. I haven't written him off, I think he is a good quality kid, has been unlucky with covid and been hit with some LTIs. I am still confident that he will come good as long as our development isn't shithouse.

Last year we got JHF(1), Goater(22), Curtis(35), Bergman(38) and Archer(59) and we ended up with Edwards from the MSD. I thought that was pretty good. I would have pissed off Polec and wouldn't have put Lynch on as a rookie and had a look at couple of KPP. Maybe not go after Bergman. We have way too many flankers.

2020: Phillips(3), Powell(13), Lazzaro(36), Spicer(42), Ford(56).
2019: Comben(31), Mahony(34) and Perez(35)
2018: Thomas(8), Taylor(46), Scott(49), Crocker(69) Trading in Polec did my head in that year.
2017: LDU(4), Will Walker(23), Hayden(62), Xerri(72) Hartung(77)

I think it has been around the 2nd round picks that is our weakness, most of the guys we have taken in this range seem speculative low probability types that never become more than inconsistent B graders. Out of that lot Perez I am most hopeful of and maybe Goater as well, I think he slid a bit last year.

We need to start producing better results, we need early first round picks to become stars, we need second round picks to become solid players. Those clubs that went up the ladder didn't do so just with early first round picks. It is not enough.

Honest to god. People make out like we chose Sam Power over Buddy Franklin. I'm sick of reading about this s**t.
AFL media is getting worse each year. I wonder if it dips even further in these weeks with just six games on..

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought we would take McDonald or Hollands but my philosophy is to take the best midfielder with an early pick and Phillips was the best available. I haven't written him off, I think he is a good quality kid, has been unlucky with covid and been hit with some LTIs. I am still confident that he will come good as long as our development isn't shithouse.

Last year we got JHF(1), Goater(22), Curtis(35), Bergman(38) and Archer(59) and we ended up with Edwards from the MSD. I thought that was pretty good. I would have pissed off Polec and wouldn't have put Lynch on as a rookie and had a look at couple of KPP. Maybe not go after Bergman. We have way too many flankers.

2020: Phillips(3), Powell(13), Lazzaro(36), Spicer(42), Ford(56).
2019: Comben(31), Mahony(34) and Perez(35)
2018: Thomas(8), Taylor(46), Scott(49), Crocker(69) Trading in Polec did my head in that year.
2017: LDU(4), Will Walker(23), Hayden(62), Xerri(72) Hartung(77)

I think it has been around the 2nd round picks that is our weakness, most of the guys we have taken in this range seem speculative low probability types that never become more than inconsistent B graders. Out of that lot Perez I am most hopeful of and maybe Goater as well, I think he slid a bit last year.

We need to start producing better results, we need early first round picks to become stars, we need second round picks to become solid players. Those clubs that went up the ladder didn't do so just with early first round picks. It is not enough.
We don't have enough good flankers yet (a good pool of potential tho) but yeah I get what you're saying. Really need five or more of Lazz, Spicey, Eddie Mazda, Bergman, Curtis, Chom, Scott and Taylor to make it as very good footy players. They don't have to be A graders, just good enough for the level.

I was having a shot at Ross tho cos he needs to remove that s**t from Will's thread. Its disrespectful. Especially because he was right behind that pick at the time.

Finally Logan McDonald isn't Buddy. He might be Tom McDonald.

We don't have enough good flankers yet (a good pool of potential tho) but yeah I get what you're saying. Really need five or more of Lazz, Spicey, Eddie Mazda, Bergman, Curtis, Chom, Scott and Taylor to make it as very good footy players. They don't have to be A graders, just good enough for the level.

I was having a shot at Ross tho cos he needs to remove that s**t from Will's thread. Its disrespectful. Especially because he was right behind that pick at the time.

Finally Logan McDonald isn't Buddy. He might be Tom McDonald.

Yeah, I am not fussed about not taking McDonald, it was not having much in the way of established KPFs and KPDs and relying on someone like Walker to plug holes. Comben is eternally injured, Edwards was a long way off, not sure we have enough irons in the fire in case those we have don't work out, we don't want to rock up to 2025 and realise we have developed no new A grade KPP because that process takes time.

To some extent the natural flow is failed KPFs sometimes become KPDs (Tarrant, Hansen, Daw, etc) so you kind of double up your chance of finding a good quality player. Mids often become flankers, be it forward or back. It is much harder for a flanker to become a good midfielder, we have taken so many flankers hoping they would be mids and I think Simpkin is the only one that has pulled it off to any successful degree.

I am happy we got in players like LDU, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, JHF, Goater, etc It is a lot of talent in the middle but they have played stuff all footy together and a lot of our kids finish a season coming off the park horizontally because they aren't physically up to it. We need to prepare them for the physical requirement of the game.

Jy has been on our list since 2016, he is still 77kg. He is never going to bulk up like Cunners but we are doing a disservice to him playing him in an inside role against 100kg mids, he can't compete physically against them. Mahony is 72kg and not fast. Scott is 77kg, Taylor 78kg, Thomas 77kg... seriously, my high school team was bigger than that. Taylor has been on the list since 2018, he isn't quick either by AFL standards. What kind of players are we recruiting, what traits do they have, how are we developing them. We are on second or third generation of development coaches, assistants, recruiters, etc.

It isn't just one set of people, there are a lot of things that seem obviously flawed and have been for some time and kind of waiting to see signs that something is getting better. Like, Buckley was sacked, they got a new coach, their list is still s**t but you can see obvious differences of approach and execution. Same with Adelaide coach, same with Fremantle coach. Changes are obvious.

What are the visually obvious changes between Noble and Shaw/Brad. We still dump the ball up the line in hope, our ball movement is still slow, our midfield is still disorganised, our defenders still fail to execute regulation spoils. I haven't seen anything obvious in terms of what he wants to do or how we go about it and the same problems with development persist, different people, same problems. We need to be able to execute better or else the end result is going to remain the same. We are just trying to do it now with kids instead of mature men.

giphy.gif

Tin foil hat theory from me, but I wouldn’t put it past CorrutFL to be ”involved” in this discussion/agenda BTS. This way we get to see the footballing public’s many opinions on the subject whilst conveniently tied into the Tassie debate. I don't trust em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tin foil hat theory from me, but I wouldn’t put it past CorrutFL to be ”involved” in this discussion/agenda BTS. This way we get to see the footballing public’s many opinions on the subject whilst conveniently tied into the Tassie debate. I don't trust em.
No doubt about it. AFL House has been using AFL Media for months to condition the footy public that North should get a PP.

Hahaha, the AFL should tell us to get stuffed.

Kicked out Brown, Higgins, Tarrant, Dumont, Atley, Garner, Ahern, Daw, Durdin, Macmillan, Wood, Pittard, Williams and EVW in the space of two years and the vast majority had no realistic replacement of like for like that were mature.

I think most of those that went had to go, many should have gone a lot earlier, but letting that many senior players go in two years was always going to have an on-field impact.

The question is, given the H&A isn't a lottery and the AFL determines who plays twice based on ratings and attendances, do they want to gift teams two wins until we are able to correct the ship because a side that doesn't make finals or top 4 because they only played us once when a teams that pushed them out played us twice kind of penalises other teams for us being uncompetitively s**t.

We don't need assistance to fix our problems, we just need to not be s**t at drafting, trading, list management in general, development, coaching, etc. A side that is top 4 and has a mature list doesn't really need the same level of development as a side that has 20+ kids, I don't think it should be something we get but should be something that is part of normal rules to allow teams that are in the bottom quarter of the ladder some extra capacity to put on more short-term assistants. I think there is a much higher load on assistants of s**t clubs than there is on good clubs, most guys who are 26+ have hit their peak and mostly do management from then on. Kids need a lot more work.

Yes.

I think we need draft help, I also think we need some sort of soft cap relief.

I never thought we would be any better than bottom 4 this year but we are woeful.

Our list management has created a situation where we have not been able to come close to running a stable structure. This is then amplified by coaching moves that I can make no sense of.

We are a mess on field and I have little faith we are barely more than shambles off it.

I think any assistance is going to have strings attached.
Agree wholehartedly, and best case scenario is realistically 4 years off finals, soupps post is well articulated however even that is pretty optomistic and doesnt really even consider inevatable injuries or other possable events, theres a very real chance chom follows taylor garners career path, i cant see r2 making it, pretty mindboggling to estimate the players we will have to likely turn over to get to a position where we bat deep into the vfl list so we can cover injuries and have players place genuine pressure on the seniors.

Last edited:
Not sure a single second round pick is going to help us at all. We need to pushing our case hard for a first round priority pick plus some. It’s not an unrealistic request given the support the afl has given other clubs in similar positions to us.

This could be Giligan’s parting gift for North being relevant again, let’s hope he had the cohunas to be fair and reasonable. Wow, what am I thinking, it’s the AFL. Priority access to all delisted players….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back