Draft camp 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing to prevent the SANFL changing the date of their GF is there?

It is obviously held at this point of the year as it is the earliest week available for the majority. It is also held during school holidays in all bar Tasmania. Clearly it won't be held before the majority of the state leagues are finished either which means waiting for the TAC Cup to finish at the weekend. With many of the attendees also completing their final year of secondary school it can't be pushed any further back as it starts to impact thier schooling.

But I suppose this will all just be ammunition for another Croweater to get on here and whine about how it's all structured to suit the Vics.

Just quietly, you may not have noticed, but 21 years ago the VFL became the AFL:rolleyes:

If the Victorian leagues had their grand final this weekend how much do you want to bet that the AFL would put it back a week.

Typical Prictorian imperialism.

Yeah those damn prictorians, they should just change everything because it inconvenience’s 2 or 3 out of 13 SA invitees out of a total of 75 kids.

How inconsiderate that they won't reshuffle the whole agenda for 2 of the 75 kids, many you should get SA to consider seceding from Australia over this travesty.

Yeah those damn prictorians, they should just change everything because it inconvenience’s 2 or 3 out of 13 SA invitees out of a total of 75 kids.

How inconsiderate that they won't reshuffle the whole agenda for 2 of the 75 kids, many you should get SA to consider seceding from Australia over this travesty.

It's a slap in the face of the SANFL, still the second best competition of Australian Rules Football.

It's a direct implication that the TAC Cup, the WAFL, the QAFL, the TFL etc. etc. etc. are all more important than the SANFL.

If this problem affected one Victorian player (let alone two) it would never have arisen.

Obviously you when making that last statement you weren't aware that Qld, NT & Vic school holidays end this weekend, so next week isn't an option. Or maybe the Qld, NT & Vic governments should change their holiday planning to suit the SANFL?

There's only a 1 week period where all states (except for Tas) overlap school holidays, so there is no other week in which draft camp can be held.

The fact that the other comp's work around this and the SANFL don't is an entirely different issue, but it's pretty clear who's issue it is.

It's a slap in the face of the SANFL, still the second best competition of Australian Rules Football.

It's a direct implication that the TAC Cup, the WAFL, the QAFL, the TFL etc. etc. etc. are all more important than the SANFL.

If this problem affected one Victorian player (let alone two) it would never have arisen.
Combined the TAC Cup, WAFL, QAFL, TFL etc. are more important than just the SANFL. It's by virtue of numbers that they are. In organising a week to try and avoid clashes no single league is more important than the SANFL (except maybe only the TAC Cup - ONLY due to the high number of Draft Camp players participating in that game).

If this was an issue that affected more than one league and more than a very small number of players then I would suggest it would be looked at. I don't think it has anything to do with state biases - but of course, you'd expect me to say that since I supposedly have mine. :rolleyes:

We're talking about the SANFL Seniors Grand Final too. There's a player or two each year that it may clash with, and that really is bad luck. You conveniently ignored every good point that Leather Magnet made about the specific timing of Draft Camp.

At the end of the day, it's impossible to suit everyone perfectly - particularly as school exams near and footy season ends - so that means the best case scenario is to step on as few toes as possible. There's only a small window when Draft Camp can be held and if it were to be held any other week it would affect a whole bunch more people than what this week does. If the worst that happens is a very small number of South Australian's are playing in their league Grand Final and a few Tasmanian's have to miss a week of school, then they're not doing too bad.

If you can come up with another week where less players are affected then I am all ears. It would be ideal that Draft Camp was at a perfect time for everyone.

As posted above "Looking forward to seeing actual height and weight measurement of people not just people mates adding a few cms or kilos."
Last year it was just about impossible to get any of this info from the AFL. I hope they are more forthcoming this year.

If this was an issue that affected more than one league and more than a very small number of players then I would suggest it would be looked at. I don't think it has anything to do with state biases - but of course, you'd expect me to say that since I supposedly have mine. :rolleyes:.

You do have yours, and I have mine. But I don't hold that against you.

We're talking about the SANFL Seniors Grand Final too. There's a player or two each year that it may clash with, and that really is bad luck. You conveniently ignored every good point that Leather Magnet made about the specific timing of Draft Camp.

Nope, it's SANFL League, Reserves and Under 19s Grand Final week. The only league that's not affected is the Under 17s, which this will be the first time in years someone will actually be drafted from. And Leather Magnet may have good points on timing, but I refuse to believe that it's impossible to come up with a compromise that will suit everyone.

I obviously need alot more information/knowledge before I can make a judgment on when this should be. I don't claim by any length to be an expert.

FWIW, I just feel it's totally unfair that blokes like Cahill and Sharples this year and McNamara last year have to face the choice between potentially risking their AFL dream (because lets face it none were/are sure things) or giving up on the team they've played large roles into getting into the Grand Final.

It has more to do with School holidays than GF timing...

I'm sure there would be a lot more unable to attend if it was held while school was in, especially a month out from final exams.

SA players can still attend their state screenings, and if they play in the GF, you can be sure they'll be seen there..

Mind you, as an Adelaide supporter, I would have thought you'd like the possibility of these guys being 'off the radar' of those evil 'prictorians'.

yeh good point these boys can still make the SA state screenings in which there results will be compared to the other boys from the national draft camp.

Wont effect whether or not they get drafted. Plenty of previous years have shown that boys perform really well and are in the top and dont get picked up. Also i think recruiters would know whether they are going to draft them or not by now. The results will just give them a better prediction of there positioning and if they are what the club is looking for.

You do have yours, and I have mine. But I don't hold that against you.

Nope, it's SANFL League, Reserves and Under 19s Grand Final week. The only league that's not affected is the Under 17s, which this will be the first time in years someone will actually be drafted from. And Leather Magnet may have good points on timing, but I refuse to believe that it's impossible to come up with a compromise that will suit everyone.

I obviously need alot more information/knowledge before I can make a judgment on when this should be. I don't claim by any length to be an expert.

FWIW, I just feel it's totally unfair that blokes like Cahill and Sharples this year and McNamara last year have to face the choice between potentially risking their AFL dream (because lets face it none were/are sure things) or giving up on the team they've played large roles into getting into the Grand Final.
My apologies. For some reason I thought the Reserves and U/19 GF's had already been played just because I already knew that the U/17's had.

Like I said, there simply won't be a time that suits everyone, so it's all about damage control. Even if this didn't clash with the SANFL, then it would clash with the Tasmanian school term. Where do you draw the line? Is that an acceptable clash if that's the only one?

It is totally unfair on Cahill and Sharples. No one here would be denying that, but let's just have a look at what other clashes would occur in the weeks surrounding this week:

September 23-26 - TAC Cup Grand Final, SANFL Prelims. NSW, NT, SA, Tas, WA school term.

October 7-10 - NT, NSW, Vic school term.

October 14-17 - All schools would be back.

Anything after exams would work because a) too close to draft - not giving clubs enough time to make their decisions; and b) players would have been out of season for too long for accurate test results.

The only week you could argue for would be October 7-10, but we start getting into dangerous territory putting footy ahead of school when not all of these kids will get drafted. This week is best from a damage control perspective and the only other way I could see it changing is if the draft age got raised to 19.

September 23-26 - TAC Cup Grand Final, SANFL Prelims. NSW, NT, SA, Tas, WA school term.

October 7-10 - NT, NSW, Vic school term.

October 14-17 - All schools would be back.

Is there any reason it needs to last for a whole 4 days though?

Could it be done over a weekend or perhaps even a 3 day weekend to minimise it's disruption to schooling?

The only week you could argue for would be October 7-10, but we start getting into dangerous territory putting footy ahead of school when not all of these kids will get drafted. This week is best from a damage control perspective and the only other way I could see it changing is if the draft age got raised to 19.

God no, not another rise in draft age. By the time Demetriou & Anderson are finished you'll have to be 25 before you can be drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am i right in saying that the draft age has increased to 18 years of age now. Therefore to be drafted you now have to be 18 years or older. I think this is the case for at least next year maybe not this year. So that means using these players as examples: Darling and Swallow cannot be drafted in 09 but will have to wait till 2010. This is the year of the gold coast and would think that they may be going to the gold coast side as they are meant to be the top 2 kids in Australia for there age or right up there.

Excuse my ignorance but has anyone got a list of the athletes at the draft camp?

What are Darling & Swallow's dates of birth?

If they are born in 1992 then they won't be able to be drafted until 2010, so they'll be a good chance to end up at GC

have to be born in 1992 to play state 16's in which they did so yeah cant be drafted to 2010. So you have to be 18 now to be drafted is that correct???

Is there any reason it needs to last for a whole 4 days though?

Could it be done over a weekend or perhaps even a 3 day weekend to minimise it's disruption to schooling?
I don't know. Everything I've heard from DC is that it can get pretty hectic, especially for those blokes that are in high demand to be interviewed. But yeah, I'm not sure if it could be shortened. It doesn't seem so. :confused:

Excuse my ignorance but has anyone got a list of the athletes at the draft camp?
http://afl.com.au/Development/NABAF...08DraftCampAttendees/tabid/13277/default.aspx

have to be born in 1992 to play state 16's in which they did so yeah cant be drafted to 2010. So you have to be 18 now to be drafted is that correct???

You were right in the first post, this year it's 18 by 31/04/2009, next year it changes to 18 by 31/12/2009. So only 8 months worth of ineligibles from this year

One positive there may be is that with there being lots of talent around this year, younger guys will get an even bigger 2nd crack then ever before next year because the pool will be much smaller.

I don't know. Everything I've heard from DC is that it can get pretty hectic, especially for those blokes that are in high demand to be interviewed. But yeah, I'm not sure if it could be shortened. It doesn't seem so. :confused:

http://afl.com.au/Development/NABAF...08DraftCampAttendees/tabid/13277/default.aspx

I seriously doubt whether the camp would be held over 3 days. In addition to all the testing the boys do - body measurements, sprints, vertical jump, agility, beep test, time trials, skills etc - they all sit through adresses by former and current players/coaches so they know a bit more about the draft camp and the AFL environment. They will also have interviews (some players will have 10+) and they are also given a small amount of personal time as the whole experience can be quite daunting. The camp is set up so that all these things can be acheived in the smallest possible time frame without impacting negatively on the results of the boys tests or interviews. It is crucial that the boys have enough time for their bodies and minds to recover each day for the next set of activities.

You were right in the first post, this year it's 18 by 31/04/2009, next year it changes to 18 by 31/12/2009. So only 8 months worth of ineligibles from this year

One positive there may be is that with there being lots of talent around this year, younger guys will get an even bigger 2nd crack then ever before next year because the pool will be much smaller.

yeah do you feel that the pool will be smaller than ever next year. The state 16's (now) wont be eligible to be drafted next year and some players like Walters, King, Blight will get drafted this year and therefore also wont be involved in the 2009 draft.

The 09 draft may be weaker but i think they are doing this so more players get into the system and quality players dont miss out. It's also better for the current 16 clubs to get more players now because in 2010 and 2011 and 2012 the gold coast and sydney 2nd side will take alot of the top players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back