Prediction DRAFT POLL_PICK #25

Who are we taking at Pick #25?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked some of Drew's bio Harks - looks pretty good for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Strengths:
  • Inside beast
  • Clearance machine
  • Endurance
  • Strong overhead
  • Scoreboard impact
Willem Drew is everything you would want in an inside midfielder. While he has his limitations, he just wins one-on-ones and pumps out clearance after clearance.

In the TAC Cup, Drew averaged 23 disposals, of which a remarkable 13.7 were contested, a rate of 59.6 per cent – the highest of any midfielder in the competition. To add to this, Drew also averaged 7.1 clearances and 7.7 tackles per game, which is an astonishing effort.

While his inside game is what will get him drafted, the cherry on top is his ability to impact the scoreboard. Drew will regularly sneak forward and take a strong grab and kick a goal a game, which is important in modern football. With many first year players more likely to play either forward or back before becoming full-time midfielders, Drew will begin as a forward at AFL level and work his way into the midfield.

However endurance is not a problem for Drew given he has run a 15.5 beep test, in the elite levels of the test and would go close to topping the test at the AFL National Combine. His endurance enables him to run all day, so if he was thrown in the deep end through the midfield, he would be able to cope playing as a full-time midfielder.

An advantage Drew has is that he is ready to play AFL immediately. Any player that can win 60 per cent of his disposals in a contest is not going to have to rely too much on development to have an impact at the elite level. Another rare aspect that others may not know is that at 18 years of age, he is already a triple premiership player.

Wow, sounds just like a top 5 pick...

Wow, sounds just like a top 5 pick...
Unless the phantom drafter really dislikes a player quite often they make them all sound like superstars.

The "plays like" section is always amusing. We usually have 2 or 3 Dal Santos in the draft every year.

Like when knightmare likens a player to a random Collingwood spud - poor kid! :D
That's high praise coming from him. I remember when he rated Broomhead about 20-30 in his draft year. A year later, after he was drafted by Collingwood, he now rated him the second best from that draft.

He wears him heart on his sleeve when it comes his club. I can respect that.

Jack Maibaum if he's still around - even looks like a Carlton player already...

jack-maibaum-draftpool.jpg

...otherwise Kerr.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would SPP still be available by that pick?

If he is I say get him

Diehard Eagles supporter apparently. Could see him being a flight risk in years to come. If we took SPS and SPP, I'd be concerned about that prospect.

I expect we'll go for another midfielder at this pick.

Not loving the KP options in this range although Kerr will be around the mark and there will be plenty hoping we go down that path.

Looks to be plenty of inside mid options here which may effect which way we go at pick 5. I'd say all of SPP, Gallucci, Drew and Scharenberg are possibilities.

Hoping for one of Venables or Florent to slide. Seems unlikely but stranger things have happened on draft day.

Diehard Eagles supporter apparently. Could see him being a flight risk in years to come. If we took SPS and SPP, I'd be concerned about that prospect.
Seems a highly competitive and professional kid though, he might just embrace the opportunity and faith shown in him.

He's also got to realise he's not going to a WA team unless WCE take him at #12.

I may be ;-p - to what 'leak' in particular are you referring to?
Oh... It's just that I've rationalised that I don't want to know who we are going to get on draft day because the easier it is to predict, the more likely that we are not going about it the right way. That's the second time I've heard Jack Maibaum's name mentioned in relation to us and I'm starting to get paranoid. At any rate, I'm not too keen on drafting low possession type players, particularly those who don't have an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back