News Draft Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Stahl?

Pressure will be on Jacques, Dargan and a couple of others before we get to Stahl.

I'm simply saying at this early stage Yassir is more likely to play as a pressure or defensive forward role that Stahl did in fits and starts. It might be that both Stahl and Yassir play and your suggestion comes to pass too, and it is indeed Jacques or Dargan left out - the beauty of the list now is the options are enormous and far more unpredictable. Our coach's mind will be doing tumble turns at the possibilities

I like what Reid brings, finds ball plenty of times, great tank on her can run all day & that lethal left foot, whether it's hitting Forwards lace out or slotting long goals herself
The thing about Reid & Yassir is they play that link up role from def to fwd & can do it all day
They both can kick goals, Yassir more pressure, tackling & Reid more run & carry
Bonus is both can run some midfield time as well
Kiely for me is the stand out pick for here & now as a inside mid, will give Conti more time on the outside, makes sense why we didn't go Ling/Craven
Her numbers this year in the VFLW in a middling North team where she didn't get much help, are insane 343 disposals 74 marks 75 tackles in 14 games
27 yo (Hoskings are 26 yo) this year can see her being a great asset for 4 - 5 years no major injuries permitted
I'll stick my neck out & say we'll have more chance of kicking more goals with Reid/Yassir than Stahl/Bernardi as fwds

Still think Stella Reid might take some time to adjust to a fairly large step up - but she is so clean usually, she will adjust that is for sure - she is such quality.
We have to be patient though as she is not Ellie MacKenzie. 1627427792251.png

Agree about Kiely and her release of Conti - the 'give and gets' between these two will be one of the things I'm most looking forward to watching in the coming season - it was a well played hand by Trent Moseby and I'll bet he was feeling a bit twitchy 17 through 47. To nab such a quality Captain from another Club that far back is pretty special.

Talking of sticking necks out - been a huge fan of Yassir from a fair way out, and if she is played in the forward role I'm expecting, she could be our leading goal kicker - her read of the ball in the air and getting to good spots is very good and she doesn't go to ground easily!

Last edited:
I'm simply saying at this early stage Yassir is more likely to play as a pressure or defensive forward role that Stahl did in fits and starts. It might be that both Stahl and Yassir play and your suggestion comes to pass too, and it is indeed Jacques or Dargan left out - the beauty of the list now is the options are enormous and far more unpredictable. Our coach's mind will be doing tumble turns at the possibilities

I get where you are coming from. Don’t think Stahl is there as the small defensive forward though. She’s there to mark on a lead, be that opportunist goal kicker and provide that little bit of x factor.

Talking of sticking necks out - been a huge fan of Yassir from a fair way out, and if she is played in the forward role I'm expecting, she could be our leading goal kicker - her read of the ball in the air and getting to good spots is very good and she doesn't go to ground easily!

I reckon Yassir would be exhausting to play on. Switch off for seconds and she is off.....!

A very good draft result overall. We wanted Friend but the rest went the way we hoped.

Reid is an interesting player. Not outstanding at anything but just gets to the right spots somehow and picks up plenty of touches and kicks goals. All of which we need. She has time and class but need to see a contested side to her game develop. Don't want another Molan :whistle:

I get where you are coming from. Don’t think Stahl is there as the small defensive forward though. She’s there to mark on a lead, be that opportunist goal kicker and provide that little bit of x factor.
Agree with you TM2, hence Trents comment we needed that defensive pressure forward in our mix.

I think the 3 prong forward attack will be Wakefield, Brennan and Stahl, and then other options depending on the make up of the oppo or game circumstances, e.g last season we had Frederick as another tall forward at times to mark or to bring ball to ground, or a rotating Gabby Seymour, with maybe a Jaques, Bernadi to assist at ground level along with opportunist players like Brennan and Stahl hovering around and it worked well after struggling to score in our first year, forward structure was much better this year, and we could kick a winning score. With no Frederick next season getting the Poppy Kelly trade done was a big tick.

Emelia forward would work well in this situation but much more so when you want to lock the ball in the forward line when we need to do this, (wind effected games, defending a score / stop a momentum change etc). Emelia and Ellie McKenzie would be the two players to throw forward at stoppages in close with Brennans pressure also.

Stella probably rotates with Courtney with her strong overhead marking and a reliable kick for goal.

Liked what I saw of kelly takes a nice strong grab , would benefit stripping fitter, that’ll come if she sticks at it , our squad turned out much fitter than last year . My only Q with Reid and her readiness for r1 is with her very light frame , defenders are pretty powerfully built , refer to cordner and Darcy , would have her work cut out contesting with those types . Anyways presumably we went best available and will add to our young talent , Conti, Ellie and now Stella ,,,excellent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was listening to an interview with Tara Slender and she said she was hoping to go to Richmond or North because of all the clubs she spoke with they gave her the best family environment feel.

Rings true when Listening to Sarah Hosking welcome Stella.

Sarah was at pains to include Stella’s parents in the conversation and told them that they were part of the club now.

Was listening to an interview with Tara Slender and she said she was hoping to go to Richmond or North because of all the clubs she spoke with they gave her the best family environment feel.

Rings true when Listening to Sarah Hosking welcome Stella.

Sarah was at pains to include Stella’s parents in the conversation and told them that they were part of the club now.

On the other hand Meagan Kiely
"She was really determined to get to Richmond Football Club, so to make that dream come true is a really special moment for me, and for the club."
Trent Mosbey Richmond Women's Recruiting Manager :)

On the other hand Meagan Kiely
"She was really determined to get to Richmond Football Club, so to make that dream come true is a really special moment for me, and for the club."
Trent Mosbey Richmond Women's Recruiting Manager :)
Sounded like he knew his stuff Trent , good step forward

My Top 11 Victorian picks are slightly different.

1. Geelong - Georgia Prespakis CC
2. St Kilda - Tess Craven GF
3. Richmond - Ella Friend GWV
4. Geelong - Nyakoat Doijok GWV
5. Geelong - Tara Slender BP
6. Carlton - Stella Reid OC
7. Carlton - Gabbi Featherston GF
8. St Kilda - Amanda Ling OC
9. North Melb - Annie Lee GF
10. Geelong - Ingrid Houtsma GF
11. Richmond - Eliza James OC
I really wanted Eliza. James. Turned out to be a star