Opinion Draws, do we want them?

Draws, do we want them?

• Don't change a thing

Votes: 226 91.5%
  • Play extra time

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Delay the siren until the next score (i.e. golden goal / point)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Penalty shootout concept

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Best argument for a draw right there.
AFL sees my example - Wait, there was a chance we could have got a Carlton-Collingwood final? That's it. Extra time it is.

There is a result though, 2 points each. Just because there isn't a clear winner or loser means its s**t. Makes sense to me, opens up the ladder more and could be the difference between making the 8 or making top 4 or finishing last.

A result as in a winner and a loser.

The fact 2 points could have an impact on the ladder doesn't have anything to do with why I think it's shit

If two teams can't manage to eek out a win in 120 odd minutes of footy they don't deserve four points. I also like that generally both sides will look to attack and not just accept a draw which is kind of unique to aussie rules

They happen very rarely and an Aussie Rules draw is a special event as a drawn game should be.

The only change obviously would be in finals but draws should stay in home and away.

Way too many coffees drank by media to change this.

The people have spoken.

Penlty shootout is a faulty concept when used in soccer so we should learn their lesson and not implement it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno if they still do it but I think in MLS they had pens after draws - you didn't get as many premiership points for winning it that way though.
3 Points for a win, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a loss.

They do this because there are so many draws in a season and encourage teams to attack.

But AFL don’t have this problem because of our unique scoring system.

Keep it as it is.

After the dockers vs magpies game tonight. I don't Mind the draw.

Alex Pearce got us the goal to get that draw.

Ironic that freos last draw was vs the swans at the SCG. Another tall defender kicked a goal to help us get a goal was Michael Johnson

Had to edit this post. Dockers played a draw vs Richmond in 2022 at Docklands.

Last edited:
They have a lot more draws in soccer and you never see their media or supporters calling for extra time every time they have one.
Only time draws are not needed in soccer are cup finals.

A draw after 90 minutes goes to extra time. A draw after 120 minutes is penalty shootout

Back