Driving the Nullarbor - Perth to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

utility said:
$3k includes a few nights accom in WA before heading back on the plane (two people). He told me petrol was over $1.70/litre in some of the remote spots... probably more now.

The most we paid for petrol was 157.9c a litre at Balladonia. We were very pleasantly surprised. We were expecting it to be up to 180c a litre :eek:

hawkeye23 said:
The most we paid for petrol was 157.9c a litre at Balladonia. We were very pleasantly surprised. We were expecting it to be up to 180c a litre :eek:
Pity some came back from the west.

hawkeye23 said:
Well, anyone got any tips? Traps for young players? Advice?

Will allowing 4 full days be enough? Too rushed?

Recommended stops to avoid night driving?

Me and me mates did it in a reconditioned EH in 1982 - better to take your time and sleep at night time.
Avoid driving at dawn or dusk becuase that is peak roo time - also taking your life into your own hands unless you have a roo bar

Did the trip a few times. When we moved to Coolgardie in 77, the petrol price seemed horrendous compared to Melb - 19c/lt. That trip was in a HQ wagon.
Came back in a 70 Jag at xmas 78. Had a bad oil leak and had to top up between petrol fills - 20 litres of oil in a day. Fixed it that night and no probs then. Cruised easily at 100mph around Iron Knob.
When we moved I had the old peugeot 404 freighted across and one year the jag was having an engine overhaul so the pug had to do the round trip. Ran like clockwork, cruised at 130, used no oil, water etc and gave 30mpg. Marvellous old car they were and a delight to drive. Glad I didn't do the trip in the V12 jag I had later - about 20lt/100 would cost a fortune.
We took 3 days daylight hours driving only and used motels for the 2 nights.
No way I could do it now. Struggle with a 200k trip.:(

Fred said:
When we moved I had the old peugeot 404 freighted across and one year the jag was having an engine overhaul so the pug had to do the round trip. Ran like clockwork, cruised at 130, used no oil, water etc and gave 30mpg. Marvellous old car they were and a delight to drive. Glad I didn't do the trip in the V12 jag I had later - about 20lt/100 would cost a fortune.
(

Should have a look at the new HDI 307 Melb to Rockhampton on 1 tank

Did the trip back in the mid 90's ....took me 3 days from Tassie to Perth ....i drove until i was tired and then slept in the back of the car ...the trip is a pretty boring one with the same scenery mile after mile ....some nice spots near the Great Australian bight though .

massive bump

moving to perth next year, debating whether to take my car on this trip, filled with my belongings, or sell up and buy one over there...

how much would the trip cost these days with the petrol etc?

massive bump

moving to perth next year, debating whether to take my car on this trip, filled with my belongings, or sell up and buy one over there...

Take your car, second hand cars are more expensive in Perth & most suffer chronic rust, guess because it's so close to the ocean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

massive bump

I have never done the drive, but really want too. I would do the drive for the experiance if I were you....and that way you can keep your car ;)

I did the trip last year. Went from Mannum to Perth in 2 days. Was a long and exhausting drive. Me and my old man did Mannum to Ceduna in 8 hours on the first day, then Ceduna to Perth in about 19-20 hours on the second day.

I did it 30 years ago there and back
What a waste of my life.

I would rather go to the dentist or watch Freo play Port Adelaide non stop for a week.

Have done Melb to Central Qld a few times at least theres something to see

I did the trip last year. Went from Mannum to Perth in 2 days. Was a long and exhausting drive. Me and my old man did Mannum to Ceduna in 8 hours on the first day, then Ceduna to Perth in about 19-20 hours on the second day.

That's a massive stint...

As others have suggested I'm going to take my car... Just looking at all options, but that's always been the most favoured one... I can get it trained over there for $1000-$1200, however that's probably 25% of the value of the car... On the other hand the trip itself won't cost much less... Hopefully she makes it all the way in the middle of summer...

I did it about 06 I with my girlfriend of the time. She was moving back home to Adelaide and since she had a car in Mandurah and wanted to keep it I suggested we drive to Adelaide and I will fly home after a hollywoodesque teary goodbye at the airport (I'M FREE SON!)

We went via esperance, took our time with no night driving. Things I remember:

Norseman, the town, avoid it and only go to the servo and GTFO. We walked into an iga type shop which was deserted with only a small amount of stock on the shelves. Lights were dim with no one around, it felt like a zombie was about to come running at us. In the main street everyone stared at us with that 'you gon get raped' look.

The car had a sun roof so I put my head out of it at 110km/hr. Was fun in a scary kind of way.

Drove naked for a while.

Got a bj while driving naked and gave the thumbs up to a trucky who was overtaking.

The bight was pretty cool and that whale observatory thing is scenic as well.

Stopped at every servo for a pie. I couldn't eat another pie for two years after that.

Its an easy drive I really enjoyed. Just make sure you have heaps of music and cruise control is a must have.

*bump*
starting sydney to perth with a few mates on friday; any suggestions/attractions worth seeing?

I liked Broken Hill, actually. Nice enough old town.

Kalgoorlie worth a look, too, if you've never been there and are going that way (me and a mate did it in July, so didn't see much point in taking the coastal route). Still had a bit of the "frontier town" about it when I visited. I mean, it's not Deadwood or anything, but there's a lot of money and not a lot of sense kicking round. Interesting to see.

Seafood in Ceduna is great and cheap, but you may get bashed.

Stars in Eucla are pretty special. Bring a nice camera and take some long exposure shots.

And, yeah, Norseman is an utter shithole. We stayed a night there because it was getting dark by the time we pulled in. Surprised we weren't hogtied in our sleep.

Well, anyone got any tips? Traps for young players? Advice?

Will allowing 4 full days be enough? Too rushed?

Recommended stops to avoid night driving?

4 days?!

There's nothing to see.

Camp at Norseman, stop for a drink at Eucla, stop at the Nullabor road house and get the trip over in a day by driving to Ceduna.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back