longytap

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Essendon
Alright ,time to get the discussion underway for 2012. Last year the DT FWD's, BACKS, MID's, RUCK's individual threads were great:thumbsu:

Re: Dt fowards 2012

I must say it is the forwards in 2012 that are giving the most greif. With question marks for me over aging stars of recent times, Goodes, Pav, N Voldt and the like. It might be time for the new kids on the block in Fyfe, Sidebottom( if fwd) and Zaharkis to fill our forward lines?

I reckon Zorko as a fwd/mid rookie is a must have. (Going off the fan-planner, fingers crossed). Should slot straight into Brisbane's best 21.

As for premiums you can't really go past Franklin and Goodes. Chapman is getting on and i'm not sure if Johnson will be 100% fit.

Didak is seriously underpriced for what he is capable of, but i think he is passed it going off this years sub-par performance.

Porplyzia is a bargain.

As for other rookies:

I think Patton and Hoskin-Elliot should get games for GWS. Milera and Saad are ones to watch for the Saints.

:D

Patton is a KPF, yes he is likened to Brown (who in his prime, would have been welcomed to any DT). But he won't be scoring all too fantastic in his first few years.

Forwards bring the most grief. But with guys like Saad, Sexton, Proplyzia, Hoskin-Elliot and more going around, you can really afford to go heavy guns and rookies in the forward line

Patton is a KPF, yes he is likened to Brown (who in his prime, would have been welcomed to any DT). But he won't be scoring all too fantastic in his first few years.

Forwards bring the most grief. But with guys like Saad, Sexton, Proplyzia, Hoskin-Elliot and more going around, you can really afford to go heavy guns and rookies in the forward line
REALLY hope whe doesnt end up at gws otherwise he will be a very good pick

Hoskin-Elliot may slip to Brisbane if we want to keep Longer, Tomlinson and Buntine instead. It will be very interesting

The salary cap goes up by 7% this year. The base price last year for players picked in the National Draft was $92,500 so a 7% rise will bring that to $99,000.

The first premium will be Brad McKenzie at Pick 18.

So going by the Draft, Prices will be as follows (My prediction) Games played in the U-18 Championships and DT average in the next bracket.
Remember the U-18 Championships were only 20 minute quarters with no time on.

1 Patton (171,000)(5, 98) FWD
2 Coniglio (167,000)(5, 95.4)
3 Tyson (163,000)(5, 91.8)
4 Hoskin-Elliot (159,000)(3, 59.67) Possible FWD
5 Buntine (155,000)(4, 44.25)
6 Wingard (151,000)(4, 64.5*) FWD
7 Haynes (147,000)(3, 47) FWD
8 Longer (143,000)(4, 70.5)
9 Tomlinson (139,000)(4, 43) FWD
10 Sumner (135,000)(4, 66.5)
11 Greene (131,000)(4, 81.5)
12 Docherty (127,000)(Couldn't find)
13 Adams (123,000)(4, 72.5)
14 Devon Smith (119,000)(4, 84.75) FWD
15 Ellis (115,000)(5, 62.8)
16 Sheridan (111,000)(3, 47.67)
17 Clay Smith (107,000)(5, 76.6)
18 McKenzie (103,000)(5, 67.4)

Others of Interest
21 Mitchell (99,000)(2, 81.5)
23 Newman (99,000)(4, 74.5)
41 Grigg (99,000)(5, 83.5)

FWDs that look like handy options there are Wingard, Smith and Patton. Hoskin-Elliot might be a bit risky

Cant see WHE being a forward even than i question whether he will get games early.

Patton should play, but how will he score for a 170k player? doubt ill risk

Some mature types got picked up in the draft and a few were forwards. Markworth older but doubt will play much next year for saints.

Wilkes, Tory Dickson, Panos (rookie upgrade) and Sam Rowe are some more mature types picked to play a role i would say.

Newman will also be a forward, played 8 league WAFL games last year. D.Smith should play a Matera type role next year with more stints up the field for GWS.

Im still confident in Fevola, Medhurst, C.Peterson getting picked up (at least one or two). Unsure what they will be priced at though, and you also have a guy like Porplyzia who has to be relatively cheap.

Doubt Wingard is a forward but if he is, than at 150k he has to be considered will play plenty of games next year.

Cant see WHE being a forward even than i question whether he will get games early.

Patton should play, but how will he score for a 170k player? doubt ill risk

Some mature types got picked up in the draft and a few were forwards. Markworth older but doubt will play much next year for saints.

Wilkes, Tory Dickson, Panos (rookie upgrade) and Sam Rowe are some more mature types picked to play a role i would say.

Newman will also be a forward, played 8 league WAFL games last year. D.Smith should play a Matera type role next year with more stints up the field for GWS.

Im still confident in Fevola, Medhurst, C.Peterson getting picked up (at least one or two). Unsure what they will be priced at though, and you also have a guy like Porplyzia who has to be relatively cheap.

Doubt Wingard is a forward but if he is, than at 150k he has to be considered will play plenty of games next year.
agreed but wont be worth the extra 50k or whatever more than what matera was

Robbie Gray. You heard it here first.

Oh god. Didn't everyone agree never to mention this guys name again on the DT board :p. Last time he was hyped in a pre season...well...we all know what happened

Last time he hadn't averaged 90+ in the second half of the season after being moved permanently into the midfield. The only thing to be wary of with Robbie (other than injuries, but he did play 22 games this year) is that Brad Ebert might take his midfield time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie Gray. You heard it here first.

Last time he hadn't averaged 90+ in the second half of the season after being moved permanently into the midfield. The only thing to be wary of with Robbie (other than injuries, but he did play 22 games this year) is that Brad Ebert might take his midfield time.

I appreciate what you are trying to do here gopower, I really do.

Well lock him in now...means they're is one less team to worry about

But I think this guy is onto you and hoping you will do the exact thing you are trying to achieve.

its going to be a s**t year for fwd premiums next year i.m.o

i only really rate buddy as the only worthwhile premium at this stage and to make up for the lack of good premiums there are some top cheapies which is sweet as :D

hopefully riewoldt will be back to his 100+ average

I think Kennedy or Lecras might be worth a look at depending on pre seasons. WC have a heap of inside mids but other than Shuey and Kerr we lack class in there. Lecras is all class and his skills would probably be the best at the club so I see him getting a fair bit of time in the middle. Plus WC have added Hill, Newman and possibly Medhurst to play roles in the forward line.

Kennedy will most likely stay as the full forward so his numbers can be up and down but he should be coming into his prime and he can score.

As the previous poster has said though, probably Franklin is the only lock for me. Goodes usually starts slow from memory (DT wise), Pavlich is going to be spending a lot of time in the forward line, Chapman is getting on and Reiwoldt is a risk after last year.

Will be watching Zarharakis, Cloke and Roughhead over pre season as well as hoping D.Martin gets DPP. Can only hope!

LeCras sucked me in last year with the promise of midfield time. I just don't see the value.

Both he and Rioli can play in their respective midfields but neither do so that well or with any consistently. Both have promised for a couple of seasons now and both have ultimately (DT only) been a let down.

In my know-nothing opinion they're both elite small forwards who make average midfielders and lose a lot of the value to their team by playing there.

On the other hand, Kennedy I agree is about ready to bust loose. Mobile, strong mark, and has a good kick which means the team can go thorugh him as a link up man or deep forward giving him more scoring potential for DT. He could have a really strong year.

I had Zaharakis all year last year and was happy as buggery. He scores in bunches and can go missing too so he can be frustrating. I think it was in Adelaide where he had less than 20 at the half and ended up with over 90. That sort of thing happened a few times, often in reverse. As he gets more experience he'll decrease his flat spots but he'll also attract more attention too. He's a good pick but not a lock. He'll be in my starting team I think.

I thought Lecras did play more midfield last year, particularly early on before they had Kerr in top gear and came to the realization of how good Shuey and Gaff were and midfield time increased for them. They found that Lecras was probably not required as a midfielder where as before they thought he could further release Kerr and Priddis by attracting attention. If the attention didnt go to him than he would have a field day. (EDIT: Lecras certainly increased his midfield time as he avg 86 a 10 increase on the previous year). So you will be paying for him.

Ive always said with him and guys like Ballantyne they are promised to be midfielders so often yet the coach ends up seeing in games how much more effective they are to the team as a small forward. Lecras is basically the eagles only small forward and with 4 talls is required, now they see they dont need him in the midfield with the talent and depth they have discovered there.

I wouldnt say Rioli and Lecras are average mids. I think its more that the coaches just end up seeing how important they are up front as Balla and Lecras are the only genuine small forwards for their teams.

Having said that im interested in Ballantyne. Coach says hes ready for midfield in Ross a new coach. Ballantyne's first preseason and saying he is leading the way in the runs and freo have some fitness freaks (Mzungu, Fyfe, Crowley, Palmer use to be, Pearce goes well, Broughton apparently top line now aswell and that doesnt include their elite mids in Pav, Mundy, Barlow ect)

With the modern game small forwards they now need to be very able to play in the middle no matter what, so just about every player in the forward half of the ground these days rotates through the guts bar probably CHF and FF.

The forwards loom as an interesting proposition, a changing of the guard possibly? similar to the rucks. However i think the forwards will have some very good value picks, also depends on guys like Medhurst and Fev getting picked up and what their prices will be, if real cheap i reckon they will be hard to leave out.

Pav - old, key forward role
Goodes - old
Boomer - old
SJ - old and injury
Chapman - Old and his injuries dont have to be stated
Riewoldt - injury, form and role? does his CHF ways still have a way?
ROK - Old
Gia - old, deep forward role

Buddy is still young and has shown consistency and ability to play up the ground when shut down. You probably cant get many reasons why Cloke cant back up next year. however you are paying for him.

Zaka on the rise, essendon on the rise, midfiled on the rise. His back half super impressive, will be close to a starting mid with Hocking and Watson next year. Watson will be the number 1 tag on most occasions, but Zaka attention certainly increases.

Pavlich is a much better scorer when played as a foward. I did not pick him last year because he played midfield.

I doubt Ballas body can handle playing in midfield. I think he will get injuries and have a year similar to Rioli this year.

Pavlich took one year to get use to the midfield. Last year he scored very well and was clearly one of the better forward premium picks.

He was avg over 97 going into his last game for the season where he got slightly injured but was subbed off because Freo could no longer make the finals.

after more consideration about my earlier post in this thread i initially didnt consider mitch clark

if melbourne are to get the most out of him they must play with no set position

look at the brisbane adelaide game in rd 10 to see what we should come to expect from him from now on

Nick Riewoldt surely can't lose much value, and may still have a big upside.
I think I'll lock him in.

Who are the best prospects for the Forward/Ruck option?

Apart from Drew Petrie, ( who is at a premium this year ), there is Lobbe, maybe vickery or Kruezer or Clarke will become f/r's based on where they play in real life.
Kurt Tippett? David Hale?
Will also be interesting to see whether Rhys Stanley looks like getting a game this year.

Jack Riewoldt probably started playing further up the ground with the emergence of Vickery as a good deep tall forward.

Should Petrie still be a ruck? i dont think so. Lobbe should probably only be a rick. Kruezer could well get R/F status. I dont think Clarke played enough forward (freo one). Mlebourne mitch clark would only be a forward i would think.

Tippett only a forward, Hale probably still bnoth, rucked enough.

Without looking im sure there could be a few others as a ruckmen needs to rest and spend plenty of time forward these days. Just how many R/F vs hand out im unsure and how good they will be.

Will be hard to over look Kruezer with R/F status i would think, could be a premium in both positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back