Movie Dune

Remove this Banner Ad

Essentially we have a modern version of Lawrence of Arabia or Dr Zhivago.

A sweeping epic that will be judged at the end of the last film. Beautifully shot and put together. That sequence in the desert with the first Sand Worm used such good technique to trick the mind into thinking you were watching a live event…well at least on film.

Yep I thought it was the bees knee

Essentially we have a modern version of Lawrence of Arabia or Dr Zhivago.

A sweeping epic that will be judged at the end of the last film. Beautifully shot and put together. That sequence in the desert with the first Sand Worm used such good technique to trick the mind into thinking you were watching a live event…well at least on film.

Yep I thought it was the bees knee

If you liked it you should watch the Foundation TV series.

something that could have been told in under 2 hours takes 2.5 hrs..... :rolleyes:

thought it was pretty boring, long winded and then ends with obviously more intalments coming. Feels like the story has barely begun and we are 2.5 hrs into it.....if im bored enough one day ill watch the next instalment, maybe.

The worms reminded me of the Zelda game in the Gerudo Desert - that's basically all I took from it (along with the cool dragon fly copters)

Last edited:
Thoughts on the score/music?
Don't mind a little bit of Hans. There was one montage where I thought he should have toned it back a lot, maybe that's on Villeneuve though but I thought I was watching South Park for a moment. So I agree there was a little too much Hans on this occasion. That said, I thought it was some of my favourite work from Hans. Lots of modern sound design that reminded me of classic psychedelic trance stuff like Simon Posford, Infected Mushroom etc. and I thought that was appropriate for a movie based on a book inspired by drugs.

I wonder how much Warner Bros had to pay to Pink Floyd's rights-holders for the licence to use a cover version of Eclipse in the trailer
I used to work in sync licensing for advertising- tv, online, and radio. I didn’t do big budget movies but I was curious and googled a little and most estimates I saw put a placement in a trailer around 100,000-200,000usd which is the majority of the trailer’s budget. There would be a royalty payment for streams/reproductions too.

I’d see fees of 30-60k for tv and online ads regularly in Australia, so that kinda seems right.

The actual artists who record the cover would get * all though.

Anyway moving on here's what I didn't like about Dune:

1. The last scene where there Fremen were walking along the desert... yes, that's right: walking. I thought they had a funny dance to do to stop ringworms?!
2. Too much Hans at some points, obscuring dialogue, I felt beaten over the head with computer synthesizers and ethnic sounding prayer, just a bit too much.
3. Too much exposition, ie: "Oh wow, look, this young man knows how to wear the Fremen suit! Must be Maudi-ba, the man the prophets speak of, the Chosen One, Mr. Big Balls from Offworld, yes!". Come on mate. The first scene is him having a dream, he's been talking about his dreams coming true all week, he's the protagonist of the movie they put his face on the poster, Maudiba, boop-de-do, whatever you wanna call him. Baby Leto, Saviour of Fremen, the Spicey Man, I'm pretty sure walking into this thing he's gonna be the dude who wins at the end you don't need to keep setting it up all the time that's kinda implied at the start already.

1. The last scene where there Fremen were walking along the desert... yes, that's right: walking. I thought they had a funny dance to do to stop ringworms?!
2. Too much Hans at some points, obscuring dialogue, I felt beaten over the head with computer synthesizers and ethnic sounding prayer, just a bit too much.
3. Too much exposition, ie: "Oh wow, look, this young man knows how to wear the Fremen suit! Must be Maudi-ba, the man the prophets speak of, the Chosen One, Mr. Big Balls from Offworld, yes!". Come on mate. The first scene is him having a dream, he's been talking about his dreams coming true all week, he's the protagonist of the movie they put his face on the poster, Maudiba, boop-de-do, whatever you wanna call him. Baby Leto, Saviour of Fremen, the Spicey Man, I'm pretty sure walking into this thing he's gonna be the dude who wins at the end you don't need to keep setting it up all the time that's kinda implied at the start already.
The bit about him wearing the Fremen suit correctly isn't about exposition for the audience - it's about announcing who he is to the Fremen. It's a key event in the book. You quite rightly point out that his status as Muadib has been well & truly exposited by this point, so it's just as well that this isn't another case of exposition.

I mean, this is taken directly from the book and all builds on the concept that he's the prophet. It is mythologised that Mua-dib will know their ways and, through his foresight, he does know their ways - it goes towards the whole self-fulfilling prophecy theme that is the central to the stories characterisation of Paul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's about announcing who he is to the Fremen. It's a key event in the book.
I'm not talking about the book, I'm talking about the movie.

I don't remember any Fremen around when Kynes was checking his suit?

Isn't Kynes the Fremen in question?
Kynes is the one who made the comment that he wore the suit Fremen style without being shown it before and then she quotes some prophecy

So she's announcing to herself that he is Maudib.

That kinda seems a little bit exposition-y which is kinda my point.

Kynes is the one who made the comment that he wore the suit Fremen style without being shown it before and then she quotes some prophecy

So she's announcing to herself that he is Maudib.

That kinda seems a little bit exposition-y which is kinda my point.
When I saw it, having not read the books, it looked like the story telling me how ingrained the concept was within the people of the planet - even though it could be explained away in any manner of reasons like a horoscope being retrospectively validated, they went straight to "CHOSEN ONE!"

When I saw it, having not read the books, it looked like the story telling me how ingrained the concept was within the people of the planet
When I saw it, having not read the books either, I thought "a little too much exposition here Denis, I get that there's a prophecy and he's a prophet so how about you shut up about that now and show me some giant worms or something"

Also FWIW Kynes hadn't been revealed as a Fremen at that point, they were only spoken of as the imperial biologist. It's only later that Paul asks Kynes directly who they are to the Fremen and only before her death that she declares herself one.

It is mythologised that Mua-dib will know their ways
I feel like this point was made several times in the movie. Also Maud'Dib is pretty similar to the Arabic for teacher so it's kinda assumed he's gonna be knowledgeable isn't it? Otherwise Frankie would have just called him Mashhur instead of Mauddib IMO.

Last edited:
When I saw it, having not read the books either, I thought "a little too much exposition here Denis, I get that there's a prophecy and he's a prophet so how about you shut up about that now and show me some giant worms or something"

Also FWIW Kynes hadn't been revealed as a Fremen at that point, they were only spoken of as the imperial biologist. It's only later that Paul asks Kynes directly who they are to the Fremen and only before her death that she declares herself one.

I feel like this point was made several times in the movie. Also Maud'Dib is pretty similar to the Arabic for teacher so it's kinda assumed he's gonna be knowledgeable isn't it? Otherwise Frankie would have just called him Mashhur instead of Mauddib IMO.
In the book it works in two ways, one it further expands on the Maud'Dib prophecy within the Fremen circle while also being a point that hints at Kynes' connection with the Fremen. Kynes turns out to effectively be the defacto leader of the Fremen, which is a shock in the book given he is the Imperial Ecologist and an off-worlder, in the film it's less clear as Kynes' portrayal as a black actress gives you this impression that she is already Fremen (albeit the Fremen are principally portrayed by arabic/hispanic actors) but you don't get the same twist as you do in the novel because you might assume that Kynes is and was always Fremen.

Kynes turns out to effectively be the defacto leader of the Fremen
I saw this after I watched the film and I'm really not sure how the movies are going to portray Kynes as the leader now, or if they will. I assumed the Fremen who said "I recognise you" to Paul and oversaw the battle at the end was the leader of the Fremen.

I started reading the book but I haven't finished it yet, honestly I actually think I enjoyed the movie more than I have so far with the novel.

Saw this last night with a friend. We both had no more knowledge of the story than what was in the trailers and both ended up enjoying it a lot. I do agree with some of the criticisms in here (Zimmer score being too high in the mix at times - but really that always happens with his movies; Ferguson's performance being a bit sloppy at times) but I think it managed to do a good job of introducing the story without getting weighed down by the details, had a good mix of action and story, and was definitely nice to look at on a big arse cinema screen. I'm keen for the next one, whenever that is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back