Remove this Banner Ad

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
The backstory as to why humans are the way they are in 10191 is given no explanation and if you haven't read the book then it would confuse you watching this movie. If you don't want to read the book, David Lynch's Dune from 1984 does tackle this issue. You can watch it on YouTube for free. It does present the backstory as to why humanity is like it is in this fictional universe. Things like why the technology is what it is, for example, you'll learn just watching the first 15 minutes of Dune 1984.
It's been a long time since I read the books so the prologue in the 1984 extended version was helpful. Dune 2021 assumes a lot of that knowledge.

I thought I would watch the whole 1984 movie but I gave up after 40 minutes. The acting is clunky, as are the internal monologue voice overs. The special effects are poor compared to the three Star Wars movies, Alien and Blade Runner that came before it (the Spongebob shields are laughable). The set design could have been out of Flash Gordon. The score is like something from the 1940s.

I did see enough to answer Banana Bread's question about the Harkonnen dude. He's got a suit that allows him to float - but it wasn't explained in the 2021 version. And I remember that the sandworms are intrinsic to the production of spice so you can't just kill them. The harvesters had the technology to detect the worms from many miles away. How about setting off a thumper over the next hill and switching off the machines for a while?

Vader

Sith Lord
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I did see enough to answer Banana Bread's question about the Harkonnen dude. He's got a suit that allows him to float - but it wasn't explained in the 2021 version. And I remember that the sandworms are intrinsic to the production of spice so you can't just kill them. The harvesters had the technology to detect the worms from many miles away. How about setting off a thumper over the next hill and switching off the machines for a while?
The sandworms make the spice... but that's not discovered until AFTER the events of Dune.

Killing the sandworms would have ended spice production - but they didn't know that. They could very well have killed the goose that laid the golden egg, without knowing what they had done until it was too late. There are definitely precedents for this in human history!

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
The sandworms make the spice... but that's not discovered until AFTER the events of Dune.

Killing the sandworms would have ended spice production - but they didn't know that. They could very well have killed the goose that laid the golden egg, without knowing what they had done until it was too late. There are definitely precedents for this in human history!
It's the most important commodity in the universe and we are thousands of years into the future. How do they not know what makes the spice?

Vader

Sith Lord
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It's the most important commodity in the universe and we are thousands of years into the future. How do they not know what makes the spice?
There's a whole lot they don't know about Arrakis, like underestimating the number of Fremen by several orders of magnitude, and not being aware of any of the Fremen reservoirs.

Strange Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok... yes. But we're talking about why they wouldn't have wiped them out long before then, given the difficulties they created in mining the spice.
Probbly because they grow up to 800 meters and have armour like skin it has been tried many times , the only way to kill them is to drown them they are night impossible to kill otherwise…and only the Freemen know this and they aren’t really on a friendly basis to share that information when they have adapted their lives to live with the sandworms

besides if you bombarded them from the air you destroy the spice on the ground , the empire values the spice over the lives of their workers …which was made clear when Leto risked his ship to save his workers

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quokka

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I liked it, I loved the book when I read it in the 90s and so I come from that slightly fanboy angle but I think overall they've done it well.

In my opinion the story could nowadays be better told on a streaming service as a 4-8 episode miniseries. There is just so much detail, world building and side stories (which makes the novel) and overall they have made solid choices with what they've cut and what they've kept but even at two and a half hours for that first section of the story they can't tell it all.

I loved the thopters and again that is knowing their design is because that is how the books tell them but even so I don't think I would have much trouble assuming there was some unexplained future technology making the wings more efficient than simple aerodynamics and that they worked by not beating rhythmically like a modern day engine would (better for sand worms). A little stretch to disbelief sure but not breaking and certainly no worse than most movie devices/plot holes.

They do seem to be trying to hide the fact that this is only part one, I mean it is there if you look but it is easily missed and there's certainly no resolution until you realise that there is a part two (or three? do we know yet?).

I didn't love the sand worm design, or how hard they worked to tease them, its not a deal breaker but something about the string-like teeth just isnt working for me yet.

Last edited:

BlakeyNoFlakey

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
There is going to be a part 2, that's already been announced (Google it). The director has also said he'd like to do Dune Messiah as well. But I suspect it will be a few years before we see any new installments.

Quokka

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
There is going to be a part 2, that's already been announced (Google it). The director has also said he'd like to do Dune Messiah as well. But I suspect it will be a few years before we see any new installments.

I knew it was a part one but I reckon plenty of people will buy tickets without knowing and it's not by accident.

Alberto_Magnifico

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Haven't read the book and watched it tonight, thoroughly enjoyable. The world and character building was great and I am excited to hear the investment will be paid off with sequels. I really enjoy this kind of slower burn Sci-fi that doesn't bog down in heavy handed or unnecessary exposition, but it's not for everyone.
Time to do some reading.

King Elvis

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I liked it, I loved the book when I read it in the 90s and so I come from that slightly fanboy angle but I think overall they've done it well.

In my opinion the story could nowadays be better told on a streaming service as a 4-8 episode miniseries. There is just so much detail, world building and side stories (which makes the novel) and overall they have made solid choices with what they've cut and what they've kept but even at two and a half hours for that first section of the story they can't tell it all.

I loved the thopters and again that is knowing their design is because that is how the books tell them but even so I don't think I would have much trouble assuming there was some unexplained future technology making the wings more efficient than simple aerodynamics and that they worked by not beating rhythmically like a modern day engine would (better for sand worms). A little stretch to disbelief sure but not breaking and certainly no worse than most movie devices/plot holes.

They do seem to be trying to hide the fact that this is only part one, I mean it is there if you look but it is easily missed and there's certainly no resolution until you realise that there is a part two (or three? do we know yet?).

I didn't love the sand worm design, or how hard they worked to tease them, its not a deal breaker but something about the string-like teeth just isnt working for me yet.
How would a jet engine go in a sandstorm?

Re the mini-series, the Sci-Fi Network did a Dune miniseries in the early 2000s, and it was bloody excellent.

Highly recommend checking it out.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
I am not a book reader and only know about the worms. That’s it.

It was captivating in the sense that couldn’t take eyes off it. Why. Cause I was intrigued. And that worry I miss something.

The music was constant and at times drowned out the dialogue.

I like the dragonfly craft.

I don’t know the characters names other than Paul.

Hard to understand the mum at times.

Get that spice is important and essentially the spice of life.

Foreshadowing is strong.

Looking forward to part two. !

Ticky009

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I've just come home from the movie preview special screening. Entered into a competition about 2 months ago and won 2 free tickets. I was always going to see this movie on the big screen and I'm so glad I got the chance to do so.

It probably the first time I've walked out of a movie and gone Perfect. It was everything I thought it could and should be. Understand that I've read the book at 13 yrs old and still have my dad's 1965 copy. This verse is near and dear to my heart.

Loved how everything, especially the ships looked and felt alien. Really nailed it I thought. The music was probably a little bit too loud, and I lost some of the dialogue but that's probably my only issue with it.

Duncan & Gurney got some proper screen time and their relationship with Paul was captured well.

I was pretty happy with the characters and the actors portraying them.

Part 2 can't come soon enough.

Also scored 2 free t-shirts. One for House Atreides and another for House Harkonnen. Pretty wrapped with that!!

Lethality

Most successful team in your lifetime
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I liked it 8/10 in terms of enjoyment. Not as good as Blsde Runner 2049 but maybe that's because it's unfinished. Also I just thought BR was a cooler world, which is my personal preference.

Overall I appreciate the world building, the style, the pacing, the atmosphere, the urgency of the storyline. The story felt a bit reminiscent of Game of Thrones season 1, which I did not get from reading the books, although that was ages ago.

Some of the acting I felt was weak, but otherwise great performances particularly by Rebecca Ferguson and Timothy Chalameet. Skarsgaard was giving me Marlon Brando vibes.

The script lacks a bit of humour, levity, and maybe missing some younger characters for Paul to interact with. But this could be addressed in the second part.

At times I thought this should have been a miniseries. It's such a big world, so maybe they will have a TV tie in once this is done. Blade Runner 2049 has since seen an animated TV series which ties in to the movie, and a live action series in the works. So maybe Dune will follow a similar path.

The movie is exactly what you would expect if you're familiar with Denis Villeneuve.

He had hinted that he would work differently because of the box office failure of Blade Runner, but really he hasn't deviated much from his usual style. Maybe there's more action than he otherwise would have included. But all the usual hallmarks of his directing are on display.

In a world of dumb cashing in on old franchises, I'm glad someone out there is still doing it right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad