Dusty or The Bont

Dusty or The Bont

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the question? Who is better now? Who will have the better career? Who would you take at current age?

You get to see how good Dusty is when he's not playing, and how much of a difference it makes. Not just H&A games but finals too, Dusty's greatest accolade has always been his matchwinning ability and performances that can drag lesser players over the line.

It'll be great to see Bont's next few years going deep into finals and how it compares over Martin's peak, which admittedly he is past now and probably won't be as great as he was before.

Pretty obvious, Martin has had a better career, Bont is playing better now.

Bont is in his 8th season. It was in his 8th season that Martin won his Brownlow and premiership. I would argue that Bont has achieved more than Martin did in their first 7 seasons, but it would take a huge effort to match Martin's following few years.

Bont now. Has a lot of work to do to catch Dusty’s career though.

Based on what though? Right now obviously Bont, going forward Bont, at the same point in their career Bont. But over their whole career Bont would want to have a big 5 years ahead of him. He can certainly do it but anything can happen form and injury wise. But Dustys 25-30 years of age will be hard to match.
Yep

Going into a Grand Final I’ll take Martin, huge moments this bloke just gets it done. Bont has done nothing compared to Martin.

If you're talking right now given their ages obviously Bont.
If you're talking their careers so far obviously Martin.

If you could have an 18 year old version of either player? I'd probably take Martin. At least you know what a superstar he has turned out to be in finals. Even though I'd say Bont is going to be remembered as being far better in a regular H&A game over the journey.

Martin you can rely on to kick clutch goals all the time. Bontempelli can but his goal kicking accuracy hasn't been a great strength over the years (admittedly much improved now).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont needs to reach Fyfe and Danger levels of good before trying to reach Martins level of excellence, especially in finals.

Most of these comments are pretty fair I reckon. Bont obviously in his prime and the better player right now, but it's his 25-30 years where Dusty became a finals/flag match winner (he was no mug in his early years though).

It'll be enjoyable watching Bontempelli this year again probably having the opportunity to go deep in finals, and a shame that if Richmond do make finals we won't get to see Dusty in them :(

Further to the finals argument, a lot of comparisons made between Dusty and the Bont, well if the Bont wants to be rated at that level then the Dogs win this week against the Bombers, and Bontempelli puts in a performance to make that happen.

This is the classic time of year where Dusty would step up and put in match winning performances or moments.

This debate can only be settled once both careers are done, We will see if Bont can match dustys 25-30 age bracket because he is currently better then dusty was at his age

Dusty. Better around goals and single-handedly sunk us in that Grand Final last year. Bont a gun tho obvs.

Bont needs to reach Fyfe and Danger levels of good before trying to reach Martins level of excellence, especially in finals.

you do realise when you made that comment Bont was already a premiership player already having played well in that win (went at 100 per cent efficiency in a chaotic grand final)- as well as being best on ground in that year’s semi final after ripping luke hodge a new one?

after your comment Bont went on to stand up in finals again, sadly it didn’t end with a premiership but his grand final certainly wasn’t an occasion where he didn’t stand up.

sure, bont’s finals record isn’t dusty’s. But you downplayed him. Fyfe and Dangerfield would swap their home and away accolades for a career like Bont in an instant and wouldn’t be losing much in the way of those other accolades anyway.

I think it can be boiled down to this:

For H&A: Bontempelli
For finals: Dusty
For overall: Depends on your list. If you have a good list capable of winning the flag, you pick Dusty cos he will get you over the line in big finals and make sure you come away with at least 1 flag. If you have a middling or poor list, you pick Bontempelli cos he will be good every week and elevate you into the finals and possible premiership contention.

Back