Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swans have been extremely pleased with their top two draft picks, Matthew Ling and Tom McCartin, who have both showed exactly why they were targeted by recruiting boss Kinnear Beatson. McCartin has an exceptional pair of hands and has impressed the coaches with his aggression at the ball and his bodywork for such a young player. Ling's speed and ability to break the lines off half-back has shone out, as has his disposal, both qualities the Swans went after at the draft. Riley Stoddart and rookie Angus Styles are in the same boat as Ling, with all three runners adding pace to the squad. Athletic big man Joel Amartey has done some exciting things on the track, highlighted by his agility and prodigious leap, while fellow rookies James Bell and Jake Brown have slotted in well after coming through the Swans academy system.

The standout: They don't grow on trees, so as an athletic key forward with some physical presence, Tom McCartin looks an exciting prospect. - Adam Curley

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-20/all-clubs-draftee-and-rookie-watch

So reading between the lines

Ling - Looking really good
McCartin - Hard at it, can't find the ball
Stoddart - Looking promising but can't tell for sure yet
Styles - Better than expected
Amartey - Has no skills involving the actual ball
Bell and Brown - Friendly guys, everyone likes them, but they won't be around in a year.
Would like more posts like this folks. Instead the thread is invaded by those who want to argue about every little thing regardless of its relevance to the thread.

Brander came second in our yoyo last week (a few senior guys sitting out) and our forwards coach said he has been doing well as a forward, and also some time training in defence. Brayshaw won the yoyo.

Oscar Allen is rehabbing the house down.

There is a video on the afl site with Jamie graham pumping up our preseason. Got a bit in it on the new draftees, including some of the stuff in this post.

Last edited:
Brander came second in our yoyo last week (a few senior guys sitting out) and our forwards coach said he has been doing well as a forward, and also some time training in defence. Brayshaw won the yoyo.

There is a video on the afl site with Jamie graham pumping up our preseason. Got a bit in it on the new draftees, including some of the stuff in this post.
Brander was unreal as a forward in the game against Metro at the champs. That's where I'd be trying him before wasting that talent down back.

The eagles seem to have done very well. Both Brander and Allen are potential guns.

If they reach their potential, Brander+Allen double act could work nicely. They probably won't be JJK good but I guess you never know.

An ideal set-up would be a big full forward who pinch hits in the ruck (maybe Lycett), with Brander at CHF and Allen as the third tall.

But we also have Waterman and Darling who are under-sized KPFs. And Matt Allen is also on the list as a KPF. So who knows what our set-up post-JJK will be.

"Allen rehabbing the house down", I love it Suma! :D

Haha I know it's a joke, but Graham went on about how awesome his attitude in rehab has been in the interview on the AFL site.

Was basically Graham puffing up all our players, but his comments on Allen aligned with everything we heard about him prior to the draft - driven, professional etc.

Haha I know it's a joke, but Graham went on about how awesome his attitude in rehab has been in the interview on the AFL site.

Was basically Graham puffing up all our players, but his comments on Allen aligned with everything we heard about him prior to the draft - driven, professional etc.
They had him and Cerra on AFL 360 one night during/before the champs and he seemed an impressive character fo sho.

Aside from the fact I thought it would have made a heap of sense for you guys to get Tim Kelly, I reckon you did well with your picks and the right thing getting the taller talent in Brander and Allen, for post-Kennedy.

They had him and Cerra on AFL 360 one night during/before the champs and he seemed an impressive character fo sho.

Aside from the fact I thought it would have made a heap of sense for you guys to get Tim Kelly, I reckon you did well with your picks and the right thing getting the taller talent in Brander and Allen, for post-Kennedy.

If allen was gone I think we would have gone kelly at 21. Then think we were hoping for Ryan at 26 and Starcavich at 32. Didn't really turn out that way. Myself and a lot of supporters were really disappointed on draft night that we didn't get kelly.

Personally I also really wanted Higgins over brander at 13.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

If allen was gone I think we would have gone kelly at 21. Then think we were hoping for Ryan at 26 and Starcavich at 32. Didn't really turn out that way. Myself and a lot of supporters were really disappointed on draft night that we didn't get kelly.

Personally I also really wanted Higgins over brander at 13.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.
Really I don't think you have the list to seriously compete for a flag any more, so it's more about the longer term AFIC and as such it makes a lot of sense when doing a rebuild of a list to go tall first and then smaller 2nd, so I understand the logic behind going the way you went.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really I don't think you have the list to seriously compete for a flag any more, so it's more about the longer term AFIC and as such it makes a lot of sense when doing a rebuild of a list to go tall first and then smaller 2nd, so I understand the logic behind going the way you went.

Plus no 1st rounder this year (gulp)

HFF for his 1st couple years? Then push into the middle?

Would think so. Though might spend some time on the Wing.

Did similar things with Steele and Beams when we Drafted them

Liam Baker seems to be surpising a few at the Tigers.
We took him in the rookie draft last year

That's good to hear, liked his game in the WAFL but was a bit concerned he might be a bit too small and slight to make an immediate impact.

Tigers have done well out of their WA products of late.

Just from my listening of several player interviews and some terrific training reports from our board, my obs are:

Paddy Dow is impressing a lot. Getting an AFL body at a quick pace and impressing in match sim in the midfield. Think he'll be straight in.

Lachie O'Brien has got a lot of talk re fitness and adapting to AFL training well pre christmas. Haven't heard much of him the last month.

Tom De Koning is training well but going to take time, which is expected.

Angus Shumacher is the one who seems to be over achieving relative to early expectation. Going well in training and match sim. Super left leg apparently. Hope he can do a Tom Williamson although realistically a couple games late season would be a great effort.

Jarrod Garlett is in super nick. Hard to read what they are planning to do with him yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back