East Fremantle Sharks Supporters Thread

Freezin

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Looks like EF senior squad is finalized for 2019, with the EF website listing a variety of player groups up for sponsorship. If fit hopefully enough depth for Monaghan to work with....and also for the reserves coach as well to achieve some success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freezin

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
I got overexcited pre-season last year so I'll see what happens but we do seem to have a good bunch of players. First month will be important.
Tough thing is andana, is that EF first five games are against the five finalists from last year....definitely going to need to come away with at least a 2/3 win loss....anything less than that, in an 18 game season is going to be hard to claw back....but like you I will be quietly reserved in my expectations....Monaghan isn't going to change EF fortunes over night, definitely going to be a process.....pretty hard to expect immeadiate success after the last 3 - 4 seasons of turmoil the club has faced....but hey on paper and if fit the club has a lot more depth this year compared to the previous years...

andana

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Player Q & A : Jarrad Jansen

Your second year back at East Fremantle, how is your pre-season tracking?
I’ve been out there every session again this year, so it’s been good to get another preseason under my belt. As a group we’ve had a focus on high speed running at game like intensity, it was a weak area collectively as a team last year, so it’s something we will hope to see improvement on in 2019.
Personally, I’m in the process of dropping a few kilos which will help me cover more of the ground and stay competitive for longer in the midfield.

Who are some of the new recruits or returning players that have caught your eye?
Milan Murdock who’s come through our colts program has really set the standard at training this preseason in terms of training intensity and work rate. I think he will play an important role for us this year through the midfield with his attack on the football, speed and intensity around the contest.
Morgan Davies is another one who has brought a competitive edge and drive to the group after coming over from Claremont. He’s had a slightly interrupted preseason but will be ready to make an impact once the season rolls around.
Lastly, Blaine Boekhorst is back out training with the main group showing his importance to the side with his footy smarts, speed and leadership. Having him go down in the first game of the year last year really hurt us so it will effectively feel like he is a new recruit for us

Not sure if it was weakness on high speed running or being able to run out games. We seemed to fadeout late in most games.

Freezin

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Tassone in for the Sharks and Harding out to Peel in a player swap....whilst Harding won the WAFL reserves comp F&B a few years back, never seemed to take that next step in the league game....wish him well for Peel.....Tassone comes to EF with good reports.....like Bray will definitely benefit from not having opportunities deprived due to Peel and Freo's alignment.....

great to hear also the EF Town Council approving plans for the revitalization of the EF oval precinct.....hopefully the club can move forward on and off the footy field.

andana

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Strnadica on board for the Sharks in 2019 joining Cameron Loersch and with captain Jonathon Griffin still leading the ruck, that gives Monaghan plenty of options with his big men.

That's something that is new for him as a coach but he's excited by the prospect of always having two tall targets in attack and of having a game plan in place to take advantage of the size he has at his disposal at the Sharks.

"It's actually strange for me and no disrespect to the forwards I had at West Perth and Tyler Keitel last year kicked 50 goals, and Michael Lourey was a good target but it's not an area that West Perth had a huge number of players in with those tall key position players," Monaghan said.

"But we've actually got five guys on our list here at East Fremantle over 200cm and it's something like 24 over 190cm. it's a lot taller squad than I'm used to so that will present a challenge for me as a coach because I probably got used to functioning around a smaller forward-line.

"We relied on moving the ball quickly and kicking to open space and hopefully use our speed, so being taller is a challenge for me and our coaching staff. But it's one we are really looking forward to.

"The principles, though, of how we played the game at West Perth and how I expect East Fremantle to play are fairly similar.

Top Bottom