Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh please stop it. I have countless female friends, a gorgeous wife, beautiful daughter and daughter in law and not one of them has ever once said they fear they might be raped when they go out or attend uni. Not once have they said they have to be careful,when rejecting men. Where does this garbage come from? Have you never been trampled by a large contingent of girls having a Hen's Night in the city? They dominate the pavement, shout, laugh, sing and fall over and not one seems remotely scared, confused or oppressed. Where are these petrified women?If what you say is true why do I see females swarming through our city streets late at night usually in very high spirits? You'd think they'd be behind locked doors at home given the terror you say they feel when they go out.

Who constantly reminds women they are the weaker sex? You are just making stuff up.

You are so disingenuous. You know damn well if Brayshaw, McGuire or Frawley were in your presence that they would treat you with great respect and you would feel very safe and secure. Why would their silly banter about a woman they dislike offend or worry you? As for your comment : "Women know violence from men is no joke.."

Are you inferring that any other kind of violence can be funny? I know that our mainstream media still uses violence perpetrated upon men in comedic shows and movies. That never happens to women. I know that when a man got his penis cut off my a vindictive wife that a panel of women on a National Talk Show, laughed, clapped and said it was fabulous. The cheers of the all female audience still echo in my ears.. I know that no male panel could or would ever celebrate the real life or fictional mutilation of a woman. None of these women was sanctioned in any way. I know that men's suffering and abuse is entirely ignored and treated as something of no relevance. The government ignores the fact that more children are killed by mums in the family home and that many men are also physically and emotionally abused, yet not once cent in funding is given in support.

You write: "Just be glad you have never had that fear that someone could harm you, just because of your gender." Hilarious. Men are far more likely to be assaulted or experience violence becasue of their gender. The very fact that there is such shock and horror expressed when a woman is assaulted demonstrates what a rare event it is in relative terms.

Women have never been better protected, cocooned, supported or treated as a superior and special species as they are at this moment in time in western cultures. Your efforts to present females as an oppressed, terrified group cowering in fear of assault from a male at any given moment is absurd and untrue.
Yeah.... It's great that the women you know feel safe but that doesn't make it the case for everyone.

I've gone on a lot of dates in the last couple of years and so far I've met - one girl who nearly stood me up because she was scared that I might have been too much bigger than her and as such might bash her up; 1 who gave me a fake address when I picked her up because she's had guys she's met try to get in to her house. She was only new in town, she'd only just moved here after her fiancé started hitting her; 1 who had to go home 'sick' from work a couple of times after a guy she rejected online tracked her down and started hanging around. She's also just taken sole custody of her kids as ex-husband is a dickhead and started threatening them; 1 who cancelled on me because she wasn't ready to meet anyone after the last guy she had at her house suddenly took all his clothes off and made her have sex with him. I distinctly remember what she said too 'He was so strong, he was throwing me around like a rag doll. It was disgusting;' and one who used to walk home late from work and told me she'd twice had guys literally pull their dicks out and start basically jerking off at her.

Guys don't have to deal with this crap. I'm sure plenty of women go through life without any real fear of men but there are heaps of women dealing with this all the time and it's way more common than I thought.

What a circle-jerk of floggishness.

mountain-molehill.gif

Thats why I was curious about what Shaw said.

Some banter was fine but comments promoting anybody stay under water is below the belt IMO particularly in a public arena.

Its almost a defacto death threat in my opinion.

spot on..and coming from a person who has AM beside their name from supporting charity and welfare groups, not too often you hear someone making stupid comments with a AM, OAM, AC etc beside their name, but Eddie seems to be the exception.

but that's totally untrue. All the evidence from endless studies over the past 40 years comprehensively demonstrates over and over again that the single least likely demographic of people to suffer violence in our society is adult women. THE LEAST LIKELY. Studies also demonstrates quite unambiguously that domestic violence is not a gender issue, (women perpetrate 40-50% of all DV, and infact if the violence is only 'one way' , ie only one person is the relationship is abusing, then in 70% of those cases, it is the Women who is the abuser. The single biggest of killers of children under 12 are Women. Domestic Violence is a horrific social problem, but it is a problem that is generational and class driven, not gender driven: and attempts to solve DV by applying some false gender narrative is not at all helpful to that solution - Infact it can tend to amplify it. The stories of men calling the police to report abuse, only to be arrested themselves are common and extant. Women are not any more 'vulnerable' than men or boys: and it is quite distasteful how men and boys suffering in DV is somehow whitewashed out of the discussion.

Lets also be clear, and I think nobody could deny, that if the gender of the person that was being made fun of by Eddie McGuire was male and not female no one would have cared a jot. Society has an inbuilt bias to protecting women and an overwhelming lack of empathy for men's lives that goes far beyond any notion of 'equality' or in anyway reflective of the actual facts of violence in society. Has nyone else scratched their head and found it disgusting that the DV campaigns are usually labelled "stop DV against women and girls" - as if violence against boys is acceptable? as if violence against men is acceptable? as if women aren't equal or even majority perpetrators of DV? It honestly beggars belief how mentally bound-in we are by the Women Good/Men Bad narrative when it comes to DV.. and how no one has the guts to stand up to the lies, even when the lies actual hurt women and girls, because it prevents society from looking at the issue honestly, and finding the right solutions (ie solutions that address generational violence and class, not simply demonising men)
Absolute, utter, completely unsubstantiated bullshit. The stats do not show anything of the sort. If men don't take responsibility for their larger share of the problem, then it will never ever subside regardless of whether it's possible to completely eliminate it...

Oh please stop it. I have countless female friends, a gorgeous wife, beautiful daughter and daughter in law and not one of them has ever once said they fear they might be raped when they go out or attend uni. Not once have they said they have to be careful,when rejecting men. Where does this garbage come from? Have you never been trampled by a large contingent of girls having a Hen's Night in the city? They dominate the pavement, shout, laugh, sing and fall over and not one seems remotely scared, confused or oppressed. Where are these petrified women?If what you say is true why do I see females swarming through our city streets late at night usually in very high spirits? You'd think they'd be behind locked doors at home given the terror you say they feel when they go out.

Who constantly reminds women they are the weaker sex? You are just making stuff up.

You are so disingenuous. You know damn well if Brayshaw, McGuire or Frawley were in your presence that they would treat you with great respect and you would feel very safe and secure. Why would their silly banter about a woman they dislike offend or worry you? As for your comment : "Women know violence from men is no joke.."

Are you inferring that any other kind of violence can be funny? I know that our mainstream media still uses violence perpetrated upon men in comedic shows and movies. That never happens to women. I know that when a man got his penis cut off my a vindictive wife that a panel of women on a National Talk Show, laughed, clapped and said it was fabulous. The cheers of the all female audience still echo in my ears.. I know that no male panel could or would ever celebrate the real life or fictional mutilation of a woman. None of these women was sanctioned in any way. I know that men's suffering and abuse is entirely ignored and treated as something of no relevance. The government ignores the fact that more children are killed by mums in the family home and that many men are also physically and emotionally abused, yet not once cent in funding is given in support.

You write: "Just be glad you have never had that fear that someone could harm you, just because of your gender." Hilarious. Men are far more likely to be assaulted or experience violence becasue of their gender. The very fact that there is such shock and horror expressed when a woman is assaulted demonstrates what a rare event it is in relative terms.

Women have never been better protected, cocooned, supported or treated as a superior and special species as they are at this moment in time in western cultures. Your efforts to present females as an oppressed, terrified group cowering in fear of assault from a male at any given moment is absurd and untrue.
I'm my terrified by men 24/7 but I most certainly wouldn't go out myself at night. To be honest even when I go for. a walk or run I am constantly checking behind me.
You are speaking about women in groups. Yes I feel safe in a group. It's when I'm alone that I feel defenseless.

You know some very brave women. I can't say the same for most women I know.

It actually got worse overnight.

Poor Emma Quayle of all people. A couple of mindless flogs decided it was a good idea to launch a Twitter tirade on here about all of this.

This is just not on. It seems that some people are still neanderthals about the whole thing.

What a sad world we live in.

When was the last time Eddie threatened to kill someone else as a joke?

Actually never that I am aware of, even in this case he said he would pay an extra 30K if she stays under water. Technically that is her choice. He did not threaten her at all. It was also actually her choice to participate and he would have paid 20k to a good cause has she just decided to come up like everyone else.

It was a joke against an industry colleague.

If it was so bad why did it take a week for everyone to take offence? She didnt even take offence when the same joke was said to her at the time?

Australia has gone PC mad and our media is a joke.

All these social justice warriors posting here. What are you and the media doing about the section of Muslims in our society who think it is acceptable to dehumanise women by making them dress in a fashion where their face is hidden? That is true misogyny.

Yet not a peep from these social justice warriors in the media.

This is just virtue signaling to a new level where you don't know you are offended until you are told and then you get really angry about it and shame the person you are told to hate.

Interesting watching the NBA finals presentations and interviews by Doris Burke. The respect shown to her by the players and administrators was so glaringly obvious compared to those in our game. The idea of anyone threatening to drown her just would not be considered, joke or no joke.

This is a league that has had its issues with women in the past, but rather than a bunch of morons going on about their rights to free speech, they are confronting the issue head on by showing respect and placing women in positions of journalistic power.

Something obvious in this whole thing is that this old boys club mentality is getting left behind. Sponsors and clubs have unanimously come out to condemn the comments, yet Eddie, Brayshaw and the old-schoolers just won't accept it, implying its somehow a blight on free speech and political correctness gone mad. These attitudes are being left behind, so the sooner you just come around the less tantrums you'll have to throw each time something like this comes up, and more importantly, society will be better off for it.

Oh and the fact that Eddie does this the week after the announcement of the women's league, his timing is about as good as it was with the Goodes comments. The AFL must be itching to wipe their hands of him, what a moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it's been said, but I'm on a slow ipad in a place where the NBN is a sci-fi myth and the pedal phone is what the kids text on these days, so I'm not going too far back by way of review...

But the underlying core of this is that EM is a dick. Sure, have an opinion - as George Brandis said, everyone has the right to be a bigot. Pauline Hanson stares at me every night on tv in her short ad telling me to vote for her because she apparently knows what I think and has the guts to do something about it (free beer every day at work is on its way, guys...!), so if she's looking past me there's still some other pleb going "yeah, damned right, tell it like it is..."...

But unlike you or me or some yank playboy who tries to get into Australia advocating the suppression of women and who gets blocked at the gate, Eddie Maguire runs (close enough) a major tv network and gets his opinion plastered over the airwaves any time he wants under the guise of family tv (as opposed to Kyle Sandilands, who is expected and paid to be a dick). He also runs Australia's biggest football team, which is a big deal in this country. Worse than that, he combines the two - I like Freo because I have no idea who their president is while they win minor premierships (let's stay back in time a bit for that one), and I grimaced throughout the Kennett years wishing we could get back to the good old days of the 80's, where our prez was even quieter and more monosyllabic than Allan Jeans...

So if that doesn't scream "think before talking", then I don't know what could. But no - not only is Adam Goodes a really big monkey, but Caroline Wilson's death needs to be discussed on air because it's apparently a good fundraising idea. The apology was s**t, and comes with its own embedded "a-hole" caption just below on screen. The AFL needs to slug this guy...

"Political correctness" is simply a term stating "don't be a c###". Anything opposing this stance is basically selfishness...

Maybe it's been said, but I'm on a slow ipad in a place where the NBN is a sci-fi myth and the pedal phone is what the kids text on these days, so I'm not going too far back by way of review...

But the underlying core of this is that EM is a dick. Sure, have an opinion - as George Brandis said, everyone has the right to be a bigot. Pauline Hanson stares at me every night on tv in her short ad telling me to vote for her because she apparently knows what I think and has the guts to do something about it (free beer every day at work is on its way, guys...!), so if she's looking past me there's still some other pleb going "yeah, damned right, tell it like it is..."...

But unlike you or me or some yank playboy who tries to get into Australia advocating the suppression of women and who gets blocked at the gate, Eddie Maguire runs (close enough) a major tv network and gets his opinion plastered over the airwaves any time he wants under the guise of family tv (as opposed to Kyle Sandilands, who is expected and paid to be a dick). He also runs Australia's biggest football team, which is a big deal in this country. Worse than that, he combines the two - I like Freo because I have no idea who their president is while they win minor premierships (let's stay back in time a bit for that one), and I grimaced throughout the Kennett years wishing we could get back to the good old days of the 80's, where our prez was even quieter and more monosyllabic than Allan Jeans...

So if that doesn't scream "think before talking", then I don't know what could. But no - not only is Adam Goodes a really big monkey, but Caroline Wilson's death needs to be discussed on air because it's apparently a good fundraising idea. The apology was s**t, and comes with its own embedded "a-hole" caption just below on screen. The AFL needs to slug this guy...

"Political correctness" is simply a term stating "don't be a c###". Anything opposing this stance is basically selfishness...
You know, I was all team Eddie, but after reading the link I just posted above someone else posted pages back, I get what your saying. Cheers

Things really have gone mad. Holden are getting funny and threatening to pull the plug on sponsorship based on Eddie's gaffe, yet IIRC none of the sponsors pulled out from Essendon with the whole drug thing :eek:

Things really have gone mad. Holden are getting funny and threatening to pull the plug on sponsorship based on Eddie's gaffe, yet IIRC none of the sponsors pulled out from Essendon with the whole drug thing :eek:

And Toyota didn't pull their sponsorship of the AFL when Dustin Martin threatened a woman.

"She says Martin confronted her, waved a chopstick near her face and uttered threatening words.
He allegedly slammed his open hand against the wall near her head when she said she would complain to the club.
"I certainly did feel threatened physically and did feel in serious danger of physical harm," she would later tell stern-faced AFL investigators."

The bogan Aussie mentality seems to be that if someone has done something you don't like then you are allowed to be racist or sexist.

Those saying it wasn't misogynistic remind me of all the nuffies during the Adam Goodes saga... "It's not racist he's just a sook like all aborigines!"

I might get in trouble for suggesting it from the other girls but something that could force a parent to stay at home, spend time with their child and perhaps produce a better human being would be to triple the cost of childcare.

Mum or dad or other mum or other dad make the choice to stay home.

Childcare tax of 50% added for those who want to work and leave their children during their formative years for the day.

I haven't actually said anything controversial there, but it will trigger latent guilty feelings in people that will be projected onto me.

Such is the nature of public offense dodging.

No problems for mine. I work full time and my wife stays home to look after our two year old, Myles. We did the numbers and childcare vs her working basically came up pretty similar in terms of income back to us. So it was a no brainer.

And I'd stay home happily but my earning is twice that of my wife's so I'm a logical choice to be bread earner.

Off topic here I know!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back