Eddie McGuire reveals $1b plan to replace Etihad Stadium with new indoor venue near MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind the plan to upgrade Punt Road... at least its an established ground with history... still skeptical if they can find the space for the upgrade though, would certainly have to be intruding into the MCG's space

Lansdowne road as below. The end of the left is IIRC up against a road and thus bugger all seats. Still I think they did a great job. I have zero idea on architecture but maybe something similar could be done on the Punt Rd end?

_48615442_jex_771205_de27-1.jpg

Adelaide oval is 50k and its got three stands.

The one pictured has one main stand. Would need to be huge to accommodate 40k all up

The picture is a 20k ish stadium

Can anyone explain to me what Gills comments yesterday meant?
Saying etihad could be "opened up so it faces outward as much as in"
I honestly have no idea what that means.

Can anyone explain to me what Gills comments yesterday meant?
Saying etihad could be "opened up so it faces outward as much as in"
I honestly have no idea what that means.

I didn't here the comments, but there us nothing stopping the AFL further developing the land facing away from the stadium. Particularly the land facing the water.

Right now it us a stadium the faces in. There could be office solace, shoos, bars and/or restaurants dancing out

I didn't here the comments, but there us nothing stopping the AFL further developing the land facing away from the stadium. Particularly the land facing the water.

Right now it us a stadium the faces in. There could be office solace, shoos, bars and/or restaurants dancing out

That's AFL HQ.. diddums probably wants an office in spitting distance of his house like Eddie.

These dudes are Rich, let them fund their own fantasies themselves. Poor old Wayne Jackson had to get by on $400k. What job has been hyper inflated like gillons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Government funding main hurdle for AFL to get an early buyout of Etihad Stadium

A DEAL for the State Government to help fund a refurbishment of Etihad Stadium and further develop the oval precinct is believed to be the main hurdle for the AFL to jump to achieve an early buyout of the venue.

The parties opened high-level discussions last year but no agreement has been struck.

Under a long-term lease deal made when the Docklands stadium opened in 2000, the AFL can purchase the facility for just $30 in 2025.

But the league — under pressure from tenant clubs who are financially hamstrung by poor returns from playing at the Etihad — has said it would buy the stadium at the right price.

The stadium is owned by an investment consortium largely made up of superannuation funds.

Sale prices of more than $150 million have been reported.

Sources close to negotiations say the AFL’s modelling shows the finances do not stack up unless the government were to partner in upgrading the stadium and its surrounds.

A Federation Square-styled meeting place and a grassed embankment from the stadium’s forecourt across Harbour Esplanade and to Victoria Harbour have been mooted as being on the drawing board.

The AFL last year sought feedback from tenant clubs about what they would like to see improved in and around Etihad Stadium if a renovation were to be carried out.

Sports minister John Eren would not comment directly on the prospect of partnering the AFL in redeveloping the stadium.

“Our great stadiums are the envy of the world, but in a competitive market we can’t sit back and let others catch up,” Eren told the Herald Sun.

“We encourage fresh thinking and new ideas that enhance our arenas — and indeed make them better.”

Proposed alternative stadiums at the Hisense Arena site or at Punt Rd Oval are not on the AFL’s agenda.

It is believed the AFL was kept largely in the dark regarding an Melbourne Cricket Club-led MCG Deck feasibility study tabled to the state government earlier this year.

That proposal — which includes covering the train lines between the MCG and the tennis centre — is seen as competing with the Etihad Stadium precinct for the state’s sport infrastructure dollars.

In league finance briefings to clubs, the AFL has pointed out that Victoria is well behind other states in funding sport infrastructure.

When the prospect of an alternative stadium was raised earlier this year, league chief Gillon McLachlan said a renovation of Etihad Stadium could “open up the stadium and have it face out as much as in”.

“The NSW government is about to spend $2 billion in the next 10 years on stadia. The new Perth stadium is about to come online in 2018. The Adelaide Oval has been a sporting and economic success for Adelaide,” McLachlan said.

The AFL has indicated that its most immediate priorities are to bed down its “investment model” spending of the $2.5 billion broadcast rights money it will begin to receive next year and strike a new pay deal with players — who are insistent on receiving a fixed percentage of footy’s revenues.

Thats just interstate dick measuring. Worrying about etihad club finances is low on the agenda.

The so called serious discussion in NSW is just as laughable, are thes peopl being bribed by construction companies?

And a grassy bank to the docks? Is that it? Wont people need a roof if it rains or is too sunny? All this talk about living and development and architecture and they come up with a grassy bank?

The problems with docklands are nothing to do with etihad. Last week etihad was jumping but when we left the stadium, all the cafes and bars which have been built there were shut. The place closes down faster than dick smiths

Why would you go there rather than southbank/fed square? Docklands was probably livelier when they had illlegal raves in the old sheds

Last edited:
Lansdowne road as below. The end of the left is IIRC up against a road and thus bugger all seats. Still I think they did a great job. I have zero idea on architecture but maybe something similar could be done on the Punt Rd end?

_48615442_jex_771205_de27-1.jpg

That is uglier than a red headed step child.

Look at the angle of the seating on the left, most likely only 12 degrees at most. Should have angled the seating at the far end to utilise the space better.

Thats just interstate dick measuring. Worrying about etihad club finances is low on the agenda.

The so called serious discussion in NSW is just as laughable, are thes peopl being bribed by construction companies?

And a grassy bank to the docks? Is that it? Wont people need a roof if it rains or is too sunny? All this talk about living and development and architecture and they come up with a grassy bank?

The problems with docklands are nothing to do with etihad. Last week etihad was jumping but when we left the stadium, all the cafes and bars which have been built there were shut. The place closes down faster than dick smiths

Why would you go there rather than southbank/fed square? Docklands was probably livelier when they had illlegal raves in the old sheds

You don't understand what is going on in NSW, possibly because you are looking at it as a Victorian AFL fan who hasn't taken to account major events including the tennis Open & the Grand Prix.

You are correct about businesses that are closed around major venues after events - not financially viable to open?

You don't understand what is going on in NSW, possibly because you are looking at it as a Victorian AFL fan who hasn't taken to account major events including the tennis Open & the Grand Prix.

You are correct about businesses that are closed around major venues after events - not financially viable to open?

My opinion, your opinion yada yada

Going by what ive read, proponents in both places wanna spend megabuks for much the same except shinier and in a different place
Maybe what is reported is s**t, than youd be right

Sports minister John Eren would not comment directly on the prospect of partnering the AFL in redeveloping the stadium.

“Our great stadiums are the envy of the world, but in a competitive market we can’t sit back and let others catch up,” Eren told the Herald Sun.

Yep, Etihad is on a par with Nou Camp, Bernabeu, San Siro, Wembley, Yankee Stadium etc

Loftus Road provides a far better experience than Etihad.

I don't attend league or a-league matches so my opinion as someone living in NSW isn't all that valid, but all the same the current proposal of refurbishment is far more sensible than the concoction which Eddie has pulled out of his ass. Turns ANZ from a big, empty stadium that's sort of shitty for crowd experience into one more suited for league, gives Football Stadium enough of a freshen to suit soccer and the SCG is sort of the bastard child of sydney stadiums but it seats 50,000 still so nobody really cares.

MCG, Docklands and Aami Park are far more convincing as world class stadia.

Thats as maybe, but we have built that, aami park and rebuilt mcg since the nineties

Public money should not be spent while there are other urgent needs, etihad may not be prtfect, and the afl, mcc reserves in the mcg are crap, but we should work with what weve got

I don't attend league or a-league matches so my opinion as someone living in NSW isn't all that valid, but all the same the current proposal of refurbishment is far more sensible than the concoction which Eddie has pulled out of his ass. Turns ANZ from a big, empty stadium that's sort of shitty for crowd experience into one more suited for league, gives Football Stadium enough of a freshen to suit soccer and the SCG is sort of the bastard child of sydney stadiums but it seats 50,000 still so nobody really cares.

MCG, Docklands and Aami Park are far more convincing as world class stadia.

Ovals are far from ideal for rugby/soccer codes even if it is in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back