Analysis English on a wing 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not quick - English ran the worst agility test time at the combine (9.03s I think) and was bottom 10% for 20m sprint. I'm also not sure why we would waste 205cm of talent on the wing where there are many more positions through the spine which would use his height to greater advantage. In my opinion, he would be best suited as an intercept-marking defender with enough mobility to take on the tallest forwards (Lobb, Brown, Hipwood, Moore) and be the best chop-out ruckman in the comp.

He's not quick - English ran the worst agility test time at the combine (9.03s I think) and was bottom 10% for 20m sprint. I'm also not sure why we would waste 205cm of talent on the wing where there are many more positions through the spine which would use his height to greater advantage. In my opinion, he would be best suited as an intercept-marking defender with enough mobility to take on the tallest forwards (Lobb, Brown, Hipwood, Moore) and be the best chop-out ruckman in the comp .
This is a bit of a strange post. The exact reasons you mentioned (speed and agility) are the reasons he would make a horrible key defender. Coupled with the fact he would probably have no idea to play the position.

How about we just continue to let him develop in the twos until he becomes AFL ready to play the position he was drafted for?

Because he's not a wingman. He would get completely blown away if he was lining up against Hill or Isaac Smith.

Why haven't we tried this?
While it may aid the development of Tim's versatility, he'd potentially be getting picked over he likes of one of McLean, Dale, Webb, Jong, Biggs (and others) all of whom would have far greater output on the wing right now?

Edit: or suckling

This is a bit of a strange post. The exact reasons you mentioned (speed and agility) are the reasons he would make a horrible key defender. Coupled with the fact he would probably have no idea to play the position.

How about we just continue to let him develop in the twos until he becomes AFL ready to play the position he was drafted for?
No, I like him as a KPD because he looked really good when swung back in the U18 Champs last year. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to say that he's slow and therefore should play back, but for his size he's still quite mobile around the ground, just not enough to roam up and down the wing. Also, I'd like him to be an intercept-marking defender first, his reading of the flight of the ball is first-class. Either way, I'm not expecting our development team to transform him into a defender/ruckman, just that I quite like the prospect of that.

Has all the attributes of the modern day wingman. Should also try him at FF to keep him out of the physical stuff.

Even midfielders often don't come straight in to the position they'll ultimately develop into though. McGrath at Essendon hasn't been at a centre bounce yet. Dunkley plays mostly forward but I assume that's not the long term goal for him. My guess is even when English is ready he'll initially play a limited amount of his time in the ruck balanced against other positions as he develops.

Personally I see value in development as well in mixing in at least one game in the seniors so they can see the difference and know what they're chasing. It's just a matter of finding that right game - maybe against a lower side, playing a VFL ruck so the physical challenge is no different and one where you manage their time.

Even midfielders often don't come straight in to the position they'll ultimately develop into though. McGrath at Essendon hasn't been at a centre bounce yet. Dunkley plays mostly forward but I assume that's not the long term goal for him. My guess is even when English is ready he'll initially play a limited amount of his time in the ruck balanced against other positions as he develops.

Personally I see value in development as well in mixing in at least one game in the seniors so they can see the difference and know what they're chasing. It's just a matter of finding that right game - maybe against a lower side, playing a VFL ruck so the physical challenge is no different and one where you manage their time.
I do agree that when he comes in, it most likely won't be as a number 1 ruckman. I did think last week was the perfect opportunity against a VFL standard ruckman that he would come up against last week but Bev clearly wanted to experiment with something a bit different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoy some Honey Mustard on my wings, not so sure about English.

Just stick him on the wing and tell him to pick up the ball and run with it, like a wide receiver. If anyone tries to tackle him he can either step over them, or open his legs really wide apart and watch them run underneath - like a train in a tunnel. When he gets anywhere close to 50 he can close his eyes and bomb it as long as he can, our amazing forwards will do the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back