Toast Essendon Football Club 150 Year Anniversary 1872-2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Going well the 150th.
winning charlie sheen GIF

With the next stage of the AFL fixture to be released today, the AFL has confirmed that Essendon’s 150-year celebratory blockbuster has been locked in for Friday night on June 10 at the MCG.

As the club prepares to start the Essendon Country Tour today to celebrate its momentous anniversary, it is also excited to invite Bombers and football fans alike to their 150-year festival.

Across three days from June 9 to 11, the Bombers will host a range of events to connect fans and honour their rich history.

The marquee event of the Bombers’ celebrations will be their round 13 blockbuster with the Blues, who were Essendon’s first-ever opponent.

Fans are urged to head to the MCG early to witness a once-in-a-generation celebration of the Essendon Football Club.

Festivities on the night will kick off at Federation Square, presented by Fujitsu General Australia and supported by Liberty Financial, where fans can get involved in activations before the Legends’ March heads off along Birrarung Marr to the ‘G.

The day before the game, the Bombers will return to their spiritual home at Windy Hill for a captain’s run, with fans having the opportunity to watch their side prepare for the game.

To wrap up the three-day extravaganza, presented by Fujitsu General Australia and supported by Liberty Financial, the Bombers will host their 150th Year Gala event on Saturday, June 11 at Centrepiece at Melbourne Park.

278663472_286458987028376_3108992584946518497_n.jpg

The event will have the single-most amount of Essendon people, including past players and staff, in the one room to countdown the top-50 moments from the club’s 150 years.

Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell said the 150th anniversary festivities will be an excellent opportunity for the red and black family to gather and celebrate the club's history.

“This momentous occasion will be a once in a lifetime celebration,” Campbell said.

“The blockbuster Friday night game against Carlton at the MCG will be an extraordinary experience for any Essendon or football fan.

“This three-day festival will allow the red and black family to connect with fellow fans, reflect on their favourite moments and meet club legends while celebrating the club’s 150th anniversary.”

Essendon will release more information about each event over the coming weeks.

Thursday, June 9
10.15am
  • Open training
12pm-1pm
  • Junior clinic

Friday, June 10

2pm @ Federation Square
  • McCafe Coffee Van
  • Fujitsu AFL Skills Zone
  • Liberty signing session, with past EFC players, photo wall and handball activation
  • Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation badge-making
  • EFC kids zone
  • Amart 'On the Couch' featuring Essendon past players
  • Giveaways
[aka most of our sponsors]

6.15 @ Federation Square to the MCG
  • March to the 'G along Birrarung Marr with Mark Harvey, Simon Madden, Kevin Sheedy and Terry Daniher
7pm @ MCG
  • Pre-game performance - "a once-in-a-generation opening-ceremony style celebration of the Essendon Football Club"
  • Round 13 v Carlton - Essendon's first-ever opponent

Saturday, June 11

@ Centrepiece at Melbourne Park
  • 150-Year Gala Dinner - "The event will have the single-most amount of Essendon people - including past players and staff - in the one room to countdown the top-five moments from the club’s 150 years, as voted by the fans."

Apparently for $50 you can get a 150-years membership add on with exclusive merchandise, name in the footy record and on the team banner, plus a chance to win a signed guernsey.

Does the milestone mean anything to anyone at the club, other than as an opportunity to suck more money out of the members?

Like I assume the point of it is to pay down the pandemic debts, but I'd much rather they were honest with us and just said look, we need donations or something, and then make this kind of stuff free for members, or those who donate, or whatever? Quit treating us like mugs. We see you.

Apparently for $50 you can get a 150-years membership add on with exclusive merchandise, name in the footy record and on the team banner, plus a chance to win a signed guernsey.

Does the milestone mean anything to anyone at the club, other than as an opportunity to suck more money out of the members?

Like I assume the point of it is to pay down the pandemic debts, but I'd much rather they were honest with us and just said look, we need donations or something, and then make this kind of stuff free for members, or those who donate, or whatever? Quit treating us like mugs. We see you.
Yeah I'm pretty sick of things like this tbh

I've been a High Mark Member for 16 years now (lower tiered member before this too)

I've lost count of the amount of events I've been to, "extras" or "add ons" or "raffles" I've bought/donated - it was pretty prevalent when the Hanger was being built. I'll admit, I haven't been to a club event in a couple of years (pre-covid) but when I did last go I really felt that the players didn't want to be there and were just itching to leave.

Maybe it's just me, but I've really felt lately that the organisation is trying to squeeze every last dollar out of it's members - Sadly, and I can't pinpoint exactly when/where this happened, but I stopped feeling like I was contributing to a football club, and now I feel like I'm supporting a company - I don't feel like I'm a member of a club, I feel like a customer. Or maybe I've just grown cynical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm pretty sick of things like this tbh

I've been a High Mark Member for 16 years now (lower tiered member before this too)

I've lost count of the amount of events I've been to, "extras" or "add ons" or "raffles" I've bought/donated - it was pretty prevalent when the Hanger was being built. I'll admit, I haven't been to a club event in a couple of years (pre-covid) but when I did last go I really felt that the players didn't want to be there and were just itching to leave.

Maybe it's just me, but I've really felt lately that the organisation is trying to squeeze every last dollar out of it's members - Sadly, and I can't pinpoint exactly when/where this happened, but I stopped feeling like I was contributing to a football club, and now I feel like I'm supporting a company - I don't feel like I'm a member of a club, I feel like a customer. Or maybe I've just grown cynical.
It's exactly like that, I don't think you're being cynical. The respect for the members is being eroded.

The level of access, the engagement with fans is rubbish. I think one of Hird's things was to engage more with members so maybe it was crap before that too (I haven't been a member for as long as you have!) but overall the communication is crap, not just Campbell's extension but in general, there's no real insight into the program anymore.

Bit of lip service from Mahoney in a weekly email that's almost identical to the talking points the coach goes through in his press conference anyway. We used to get a lot more than that from the actual coaches talking through their line groups, an analyst talking through some of the plays and things. They couldn't give everything away but at least there was something.

The membership inclusions are worse and worse as well, the membership price goes up but they take stuff out of the actual member pack until there's nothing left but a few stickers and a voucher (so then you get to pay a fortune in shipping instead yay).

As a high mark member I think you might get some more stuff than what a bronze seat member does, I think zoom updates from Mark Harvey or something like that? We used to get them as player sponsors sometimes too but it's a bit inconsistent. And speaking of player sponsorship, that's also gone through the roof and the inclusions are shittier as well.

And beyond the members, they did exactly the same thing to former players as well. I think Rutten made a point of reconnecting with them but from what Rohan Connolly was saying in that podcast they're still on the outer and not super keen to even attend this 150th dinner thing, out of 600 of them only like 150 or so have RSVP'd? $500 for a three course meal too... like lol. Blue collar club with gold plated dinner service.

It's exactly like that, I don't think you're being cynical. The respect for the members is being eroded.
It's outright disrespect. When i called to upgrade my membership, and subsequently ended up cancelling, there was no answer to what was effectively "Why would I pay that much when I can get better at leas than half the price?"

It's loyalty tax. "It'd be a real shame to lose you after 19 years..." Shame is all yours EFC.

Nice jumper.
Play in it next Friday, get pumped, open email Monday - 150th jumpers for sale/auction.
Cos who doesn't want to remember and commemorate the current s**t show.

Hard to fathom these celebrations, given the current predicament. Fair chance it will be a bit of a flogging, which I know is a chance with any 'event' games, but to get flogged by an 'arch enemy' will go down well! Can't really seeing it being the blockbuster crowd they're hoping for, either.

Hard to fathom these celebrations, given the current predicament. Fair chance it will be a bit of a flogging, which I know is a chance with any 'event' games, but to get flogged by an 'arch enemy' will go down well! Can't really seeing it being the blockbuster crowd they're hoping for, either.
Could see Carlton fans showing up on mass for this. They will come from everywhere.

Fans: "We're sick of being s**t, please find a way to end the era of crap on field performance."

Essendon: "Shut up and pay $120 for a heritage jumper."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back