Expansion, new teams into div 4 or a 5th division

Remove this Banner Ad

Several clubs have jumped between the two leagues over the years and the sky hasnt fallen in yet wtfa. The change of league was a great move for South Belgrave breathing life into both the player list and also sponsorship. If the rumours have any truth to them and the money is no longer there at Silvan then it makes sense to look for a way to attract players and sponsors that you just dont get playing in the YVMDFL. Ever tried recruiting players with little money to offer and the promise that only half the games are a 2 hour drive away?

Good luck to them I say.
Lets put to bed the rumour that there is no money at Silvan, the major sponser went broke not the club, the club is very strong financialy with no debt and a lot of money in the bank, the players who left mid year worked for Compass and when it went broke the travel without company cars and fuel cards and no jobs forced them to take up big offers in leagues close to home, thats why Silvan struggled.

Several clubs have jumped between the two leagues over the years and the sky hasnt fallen in yet wtfa. The change of league was a great move for South Belgrave breathing life into both the player list and also sponsorship. If the rumours have any truth to them and the money is no longer there at Silvan then it makes sense to look for a way to attract players and sponsors that you just dont get playing in the YVMDFL. Ever tried recruiting players with little money to offer and the promise that only half the games are a 2 hour drive away?

Good luck to them I say.

You are correct thus far the sky hasnt fallen in yet, as for South Belgrave yes they have been nomadic YVMDFL /EDFL/SWGFL/YVMDFL and now back to EFL. As for Silvan they were the most centralised team in Div 1 Next to Mobulk Mt Evelyn, and with the return of Olinda as well. My main concern here is at what length do you go to in growing your league without having ramifications for neighbouring leagues.
The Benella League faded as a result of clubs jumping to other leagues. There comes a time when a league is no longer viable then what. We saw all the OOH HA about Bonnie Doon wanting to join the YVMDFL, They basically used the same reasons as Silvan, ie sponsorship and players travelling from Melbourne.
The point i am making is that how will the EFL and the toothless AFLVIC handle several transfer applications in the future from the YVMDFL if the targeted clubs (Belgrave Emerald etc) that are regulary mentioned seek to transfer as well.
Football Victoria (afl vic) must have a mandate to ensure viability of all competions and clubs not allow the law of the jungle to reign.
I have seen with utter dismay over the last 35 years the woeful attempts in football restructures, regretfully the track record of the VCFL/AFLVic hasnt been brilliant.

You are correct thus far the sky hasnt fallen in yet, as for South Belgrave yes they have been nomadic YVMDFL /EDFL/SWGFL/YVMDFL and now back to EFL. As for Silvan they were the most centralised team in Div 1 Next to Monbulk, Mt Evelyn, and with the return of Olinda as well. My main concern here is at what length do you go to in growing your league without having ramifications for neighbouring leagues.
The Benella League faded as a result of clubs jumping to other leagues. There comes a time when a league is no longer viable then what. We saw all the OOH HA about Bonnie Doon wanting to join the YVMDFL, They basically used the same reasons as Silvan, ie sponsorship and players travelling from Melbourne.
The point i am making is that how will the EFL and the toothless AFLVIC handle several transfer applications in the future from the YVMDFL if the targeted clubs (Belgrave Emerald etc) that are regulary mentioned seek to transfer as well.
Football Victoria (afl vic) must have a mandate to ensure viability of all competions and clubs not allow the law of the jungle to reign.
I have seen with utter dismay over the last 35 years the woeful attempts in football restructures, regretfully the track record of the VCFL/AFLVic hasnt been brilliant.

South Belgrave, Lilydale, Yarra glen, Olinda, Wandin and Mt Evelyn have all changed between the two leagues in the past. There may be others . Silvan themselves were an EFL side for 8 years.

Before everyone gets excited football administrators need to examine the ramifications of clubs jumpimg from one league to another, especially if their excuses or reasons may be based on travel.
When the MDFA and YVFL amalgamated surely travel in the 60's would have been a more significant burden then than now?
As to travel to Yea. Alex. Thornton. and Kinglake. Wow i suspose you have to take a cut lunch?
The above clubs travel regulary and don't complain. Whilst it is dissapointing to see if correct Silvan leave the YVMDFL. Silvan have undoutably have been successful, now it appears that they may be doing it tougher this year, it is time to jump?
If this trend continues and you want more clubs then the above may be realitity perhaps you could rename the league Eastern Metropolitan North Eastern Country Football confederation???????
Boys take a break and chill out, one thing we seem to be forgetting is that before AFLvic make a decision on a transfer firstly the EFL board have to accept the club then it goes to the clubs to vote them in, the EFL might not want Belgrave or Emerald.

So based on this years playing group how will they go? Can anyone from Silvan give us an idea of what your expectations are for next year?
PREMIERS!!!!! No i could'nt resist, you'd like to think middle of the road, maybe win 9/10 games, but the truth is we have no idea of what we'll be up against, so you'd set some mid season goals and review those goals at that time, but one thing is for sure, the club is extremly happy with the move to the best run metro league in Aus, and can't wait for next year!!

PREMIERS!!!!! No i could'nt resist, you'd like to think middle of the road, maybe win 9/10 games, but the truth is we have no idea of what we'll be up against, so you'd set some mid season goals and review those goals at that time, but one thing is for sure, the club is extremly happy with the move to the best run metro league in Aus, and can't wait for next year!!
I see Chris Goodlet as coach is a good start!

Firstly, Does anyone know if any clubs are applying to Eastern FL for 2011?

Secondly, which team/s outside the Eastern FL would you like to see Join?

Doveton!!
There are two Doveton sides, Doveton (MPNFL - Casey-Cardinia FNL) & Doveton Eagles (Southern FL, well they were anyway...)
Guessing you mean Doveton Eagles. Might have trouble getting the clubs to vote them in i'd think, if the EFL admin lets it get that far.

There are two Doveton sides, Doveton (MPNFL - Casey-Cardinia FNL) & Doveton Eagles (Southern FL, well they were anyway...)
Guessing you mean Doveton Eagles. Might have trouble getting the clubs to vote them in i'd think, if the EFL admin lets it get that far.
Was only joking, wouldn't think anyone would want the doveton eagles to come in the EFL.

Heidelberg NFL (1st Div)

MT Waverley SFL (4th-5th Div)

Maybe a couple of clubs out of the ammos Kew, Bulleen Templestowe
Imagine EFL clubs playing against Fitzroy.

ATM the EFL could have 5 divisions 4 with 8 clubs and 1 with 9 until other clubs are admitted.

ATM the EFL could have 5 divisions 4 with 8 clubs and 1 with 9 until other clubs are admitted.
Not needed at the moment.
In my opinion, if the EFL got to 46 clubs (43 in 2010), thats the minimum number of clubs needed to consider bringing in a fifth division (Top 3 divisions with 10 teams, divisions 4 & 5 would be 8 teams).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know i said it last year but it will actually happen this time...

Welcome to the Silvan FC for season 2011. Will start in divvy 4.

I know i said it last year but it will actually happen this time...

Welcome to the Silvan FC for season 2011. Will start in divvy 4.

Div 4 ??? They are better than that, they are in Div 1 and won it a few years ago didn't they????

Div 4 ??? They are better than that, they are in Div 1 and won it a few years ago didn't they????
They won Div. 1 of YVMDFL a couple of years ago, came last in the YVMDFL Div. 1 this season. They are starting in the right division.

They won Div. 1 of YVMDFL a couple of years ago, came last in the YVMDFL Div. 1 this season. They are starting in the right division.

Maybe right.

At least it's not as far to travel, who the hell wants to go all the way to Alexandra????

True i don't know who is going up into Div 1 in the YVMDFL next year but all the Div 1 teams are reasonably close while most of Div 2 is all the far away teams.

Mt Evelyn used to be in EFL we used to play them.

Heidelberg : Wont come across they were rejected by football vic 3 years ago and rejected by the efl clubs 2 years ago.

Kew : won 1 game against all year against the worst side 6th grade football this yr, i know the ammos is a strong comp but would really struggle coming from 6th/7th grade and having no money.

Bulleen-Temp : Would never happen, strong ammo club who def dont want to move.

Maybe right.

At least it's not as far to travel, who the hell wants to go all the way to Alexandra????

Gee Whiz travelling all the way to Alex. Yea. Thornton or Kinglake must be tiresome? Bear in mind that these clubs travel without complaint every second week. Regretfully the decsion has been made re Silvan changing leagues. The question should be asked to the EFL administrators and AFL Vic is how large of a competition does the EFL aspire to be? As i have said before if you take a club here and there very shortly you could be lumbered with the lot. The YVMDFL has been well administered like the EFL however the YVMDFL has no where to expand its horizons and if it does it would create more travel woes whereas the EFL simply "aquires" more YVMDFL clubs.
Rather than moan about
the travel i would have thought that the Murrindindi based clubs would offer grear grounds and new social aspects for the clubs that travel.I have never been a great fan of football Victoria or what ever they call it ther track record has been dismal especially for the minor leagues.
Yes there has been over the years clubs going from the YVMDFL to EFL and vice versa but lately it is all one way traffic.
Second Division YVMDFL will be reduced to 9 teams subject to Yarra Glen to Div 1. Football Victoria and EFL should make a staement their future forecasts for the clubs in the YVMDFL, Just to add some facts since 1995 some eleven district football leagues have disbanded many as a result of so called re-organisation (VCFL year book-1995)

Gee Whiz travelling all the way to Alex. Yea. Thornton or Kinglake must be tiresome? Bear in mind that these clubs travel without complaint every second week. Regretfully the decsion has been made re Silvan changing leagues. The question should be asked to the EFL administrators and AFL Vic is how large of a competition does the EFL aspire to be? As i have said before if you take a club here and there very shortly you could be lumbered with the lot. The YVMDFL has been well administered like the EFL however the YVMDFL has no where to expand its horizons and if it does it would create more travel woes whereas the EFL simply "aquires" more YVMDFL clubs.
Rather than moan about
the travel i would have thought that the Murrindindi based clubs would offer grear grounds and new social aspects for the clubs that travel.I have never been a great fan of football Victoria or what ever they call it ther track record has been dismal especially for the minor leagues.
Yes there has been over the years clubs going from the YVMDFL to EFL and vice versa but lately it is all one way traffic.
Second Division YVMDFL will be reduced to 9 teams subject to Yarra Glen to Div 1.
Alex, Yea & Thornton can't complain about travel as they don't have a choice, Where else are they going to play?
Silvan do have a choice & have changed leagues accordingly. Whether it's the right move, time will tell.

Not all one way traffic as you stated, in the last 10 years, South Belgrave & now Silvan have joined the EFL. Mount Evelyn has gone from the EFL to YVMDFL.
Thats a net gain/loss of 1 club for each league. Thats certainly not crisis time...

Football Victoria and EFL should make a staement their future forecasts for the clubs in the YVMDFL, Just to add some facts since 1995 some eleven district football leagues have disbanded many as a result of so called re-organisation (VCFL year book-1995)
There is a report i believe that was meant to come out early september, haven't seen it though.

It's the last year of Lexton Plains FL this year so you can actually make that twelve. Having less leagues isn't a necessarily a bad thing, as long as clubs don't die. A few have been mergers to create more viable leagues which is a good thing.
Having said that the EFL is a metro league & i don't see what its got to do with eleven country league disbanding or even what its got to do with the YVMDFL which at 19 clubs is in no danger of folding.

Alex, Yea & Thornton can't complain about travel as they don't have a choice, Where else are they going to play?
Silvan do have a choice & have changed leagues accordingly. Whether it's the right move, time will tell.

Not all one way traffic as you stated, in the last 10 years, South Belgrave & now Silvan have joined the EFL. Mount Evelyn has gone from the EFL to YVMDFL.
Thats a net gain/loss of 1 club for each league. Thats certainly not crisis time...

There is a report i believe that was meant to come out early september, haven't seen it though.

It's the last year of Lexton Plains FL this year so you can actually make that twelve. Having less leagues isn't a necessarily a bad thing, as long as clubs don't die. A few have been mergers to create more viable leagues which is a good thing.
Having said that the EFL is a metro league & i don't see what its got to do with eleven country league disbanding or even what its got to do with the YVMDFL which at 19 clubs is in no danger of folding.

In response to One Way Traffic. Many of the clubs in both YVMDFL and EFL came from the previous YVFL and the MDFA. As stated clubs have been crossing over. Including Yea. Alex and Thornton, who originally joined the YVMDFL in 1977 after the VCFL had a crack at reorganising the previous WNEFL.
The point is that both leagues are viable however if the EFL continually takes clubs ie Sth Belgrave Silvan, where does that leave the other YVMDFL Clubs. Using the "Wotif" Belgrave Emerald Gembrook decide to go to the EFL. The YVMDFL could be in jepody?.
Travel although some may find it difficult however most clubs and players do not find it that troublesome infact there were quite a few glowing reports after a Div 1 semi final at Alexandra. The YVMDFL to their credit have basically started a conference style to he.lp reduce the travel
As for Football Victoria stating that there intention is for more viable leagues try telling that to the former clubs of the WGFL?
"Perhaps in the Year 2012 Division 5 EFL will be the balance of the clubs in Div 1 YVMDFL and Div 6 will be made up of Div 2 YVMDFL. Then the EFL and AFL Vic can start planning for the Seventh Division"
However Football Victoria charter is to support all clubs both in Major and Minor leagues
In complicating the issue yes there is a strange level of Admin ie VCFL and Metro. Morningto Peninsula FL is VCFL? and the Riddel is Metro Perhaps there should be just one football administration body to govern football?

In response to One Way Traffic. Many of the clubs in both YVMDFL and EFL came from the previous YVFL and the MDFA. As stated clubs have been crossing over. Including Yea. Alex and Thornton, who originally joined the YVMDFL in 1977 after the VCFL had a crack at reorganising the previous WNEFL.
The point is that both leagues are viable however if the EFL continually takes clubs ie Sth Belgrave Silvan, where does that leave the other YVMDFL Clubs. Using the "Wotif" Belgrave Emerald Gembrook decide to go to the EFL. The YVMDFL could be in jepody?.
Travel although some may find it difficult however most clubs and players do not find it that troublesome infact there were quite a few glowing reports after a Div 1 semi final at Alexandra. The YVMDFL to their credit have basically started a conference style to he.lp reduce the travel
As for Football Victoria stating that there intention is for more viable leagues try telling that to the former clubs of the WGFL?
"Perhaps in the Year 2012 Division 5 EFL will be the balance of the clubs in Div 1 YVMDFL and Div 6 will be made up of Div 2 YVMDFL. Then the EFL and AFL Vic can start planning for the Seventh Division"
Your wotif scenario is interesting. I personally dont think Gembrook would be looking to move however the other two are possibilities i suppose. Like it or not but travel is an issue in YVMDFL 2nd division.
The thing is why travel that far when you don't need to, no disrespect to the northern clubs, i'm sure there great places but would you rather play them which are what 100km away or play South Belgrave, ferntree Gully, the basin, kilsyth & your furthest trip would be to Canterbury.

one way to stop the clubs moving would be to merge the two leagues. lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back