External perceptions of the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking Footy have lost me. Spent about as much time on the Crows as they did on their cringeworthy "Say that again" segment (I give them 1/10 for the manual canned laughter).

I don't think any of them even watched the Crows game, because if they did, they would know that Cameron's double tackle was better than Lin Jong's for their weekly "best defensive effort" segment (or whatever it's called).

Great supporter attitude here.. We won 2 flags in our first 8 seasons.. and yes we haven't won another since.. but how many other clubs have won 2 flags since 1991??? ---> 6.
It baffles me how any crows supporters can't be positive at the moment, the club is playing brilliant football, even while carrying injuries, we are well placed for a premiership shot this year,.. but if you are going to be negative throughout the year and say 'I told you so' if we just miss out,... follow someone else.

Easier said than done.

For those of us who have ridden the Crows Train since 1991 it has been a painful experience year after year since 1998 (not including the 1993 Prelim debacle of course).

This club has continually ripped the heart out of many a dour supporter with its actions (both on and off the field) and it is not unreasonable for some very lengthy scars to be showing on those of us who were there to see our first win in 1991.

Personally, my scars are very visible despite years of therapy and only a flag (or two or three) will alleviate my current personal trauma levels.

**shakes head**

2nd, 4th & 5th.

the problem with that statement is that most of the contenders in the media eyes have not play each other yet.

Adelaide-GWS R1 home 56PW
Bulldogs-GWS R6 away 2PL
Cats- no top 6 team
Eagles-no top 6 team
Giants-Adelaide R1 away 56PL, Bulldogs R6 home 2PW

Go back and watch GWS v Swans QF last year. And remember whatever organic growth we get, they'll likely get at least double throughout the course of the season.

Until we play to that level, GWS are premiership favorites IMO. Round 1 was always going to be the best time to catch them believing their own hype.

And stop waiting for more attention from the Victorian media - it will never come.

League teams last night did a really interesting breakdown of how we structure up at stoppages. Ben Dixon referred to us as the best educated team in the competition because we specifically target the weakest link at stoppages in the opposition and that is where Sauce will tap towards. He said he loves watching what we do at stoppages. Combine that with Sloane who always goes and minds their best stoppage worker to block them out, this is what we have been doing to increase our contested ball.

League teams last night did a really interesting breakdown of how we structure up at stoppages. Ben Dixon referred to us as the best educated team in the competition because we specifically target the weakest link at stoppages in the opposition and that is where Sauce will tap towards. He said he loves watching what we do at stoppages. Combine that with Sloane who always goes and minds their best stoppage worker to block them out, this is what we have been doing to increase our contested ball.
Damn that would've been really good to see

thanks a lot WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot - now we're being pumped up from every direction...

can't think of a single Crows side that's been able to handle that in the past, lets hope this one is different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks a lot WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot - now we're being pumped up from every direction...

can't think of a single Crows side that's been able to handle that in the past, lets hope this one is different.
I take full responsibility! :D

If we can't handle the external expectations now then I don't know how we might go if we keep our current form up (or thereabouts) for the rest of the year.

We've become the hunted and it's only R6! Hopefully the team relishes the expectations and thrives on them.

Damn that would've been really good to see

Oh it was! They talked about us for quite a while. Dixon while playing the fool at times, is a pretty astute watcher of the game. The other guys didn't know about us singling out the 'weakest' link on the opposition.

Then on 360 Ben Brown said that at North they did their opposition planning today (meaning Thursday). You betcha our guys would have had on their ipads their opponent videos and the game scenarios since at least Tuesday to study.

THere's a few folks who put the Fox footy shows on the tube

I'm liking the body language on the field. No over-celebrating goals even when we're 60+ points up, there's a look of determination in the eyes of Tex & co. I think this has been building for a couple of years and I'm hopeful it will stand us in good stead at the pointy end.

I'm liking the body language on the field. No over-celebrating goals even when we're 60+ points up, there's a look of determination in the eyes of Tex & co. I think this has been building for a couple of years and I'm hopeful it will stand us in good stead at the pointy end.
I agree, there is a different feel about the side at the moment but I guess at the moment is the key word there.

its certainly uncharted territory for the club.

I agree, there is a different feel about the side at the moment but I guess at the moment is the key word there.

its certainly uncharted territory for the club.
I don't think it's totally 'uncharted'. We've been here before - in one way or another - in 05, 06, 12 and to a lesser extent in 15 & 16. And importantly many of the senior players have been 'here' in those latter years.

Yes, that's a list of years we fell short, and no, it's not a reason to assume anything different this time around - but - well, I'd like to think there's some experience there that can be used to turn it around. This year or in the next few.

I assume nothing. But I hope, and i don't think it's blind.

I don't think it's totally 'uncharted'. We've been here before - in one way or another - in 05, 06, 12 and to a lesser extent in 15 & 16. And importantly many of the senior players have been 'here' in those latter years.

Yes, that's a list of years we fell short, and no, it's not a reason to assume anything different this time around - but - well, I'd like to think there's some experience there that can be used to turn it around. This year or in the next few.

I assume nothing. But I hope, and i don't think it's blind.
OK, right now we're not in uncharted waters, but we're going to have to enter and navigate uncharted waters to get the result.

**shakes head**

2nd, 4th & 5th.
Via Hurling People Now:

But about the Crows…
The challenge for the Crows will be maintaining it, but the season they’ve produced so far is a truly rare vein of form, including against good opposition. The Crows have played our current 2nd, 3rd, 5th best teams as well as 13th, 15th and 18th – a slightly above average set of opponents overall, especially considering that they couldn’t play themselves. We want to stress that this isn’t like North Melbourne’s false run at the top of the ladder last year, our system never really rated North. When they were 9-0 last year, North looked about 5th best on raw strength ratings and 8th best with scaling for opposition strength. If the back end of the ladder looks happier than recent seasons, the Crows are currently out on their own at the top.
https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/is-this-an-afl-season-without-terrible-teams/

Oh it was! They talked about us for quite a while. Dixon while playing the fool at times, is a pretty astute watcher of the game. The other guys didn't know about us singling out the 'weakest' link on the opposition.

Then on 360 Ben Brown said that at North they did their opposition planning today (meaning Thursday). You betcha our guys would have had on their ipads their opponent videos and the game scenarios since at least Tuesday to study.
Pykey reminds me of Jose Mourinho aka the special one.

He had a dossier on every opponent that every player has to memorize. He doesn't just want to win games, he wants to beat the opponent.

Pykey is our special one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back