faking it, deserves punishment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Jetta and Crowley obvious blatant fakeing of being hit.
Its cheating to me and should be punished , perhaps more harshly than a fine when it is so blatant.
Isn,t this the gutless like stuff we see from soccer.

I know soccer players get serious injuries from kicks in the legs, but they are also fakers of the highest order. Changing results, this is CHEATING.
Our game does not need this kind of bulldust and gutless behavior, from any one, from any team.Wipe it out now!

haven't seen the incidents but re:faking contact/simulation penalties should be quite harsh

I'd like to see
1st offence - straight to tribunal -> 1 week automatic penalty if found guilty (i.e. no discounts for early plea/record)
2nd offence - - straight to tribunal -> 2 week automatic penalty if found guilty
3rd offence (+subsequent) - - straight to tribunal -> 4 week automatic penalty if found guilty

double penalty for such acts in finals games.

Would stamp it out pretty quick

You'll be punishing a lot then. Every team does it, and has done for as long as I can remember.
The point exactly . Its crap in our sport and is cheating. Considering some of the real serious injuries blokes cop you don,t need it in the game , whether its been happening for a hundred years or a hundred weeks.

I agree. Every professional sport has diving, faking, flopping - call it what you like. There's so much money involved in getting a win for your side, that players have no shame or honour. Do what it takes to win.

So, suspension for mine. At least try and stamp it out. It will be hard, but I'd like to see the AFL try.

b/c they know they can get away with it.

Start suspending players and it will be cleaned up in quick time
Faking is pretty bad but there is the stigma that comes with staging that loses respect for that player. plus umpires watch replays and umpires don't like to be made to look foolish so next time
they will get there fair whack by missing out on a possible legit free.

A bigger beef is the liar who claims and pleads with the goal umps that he touched it when he didn't.

I don't mind players getting suspended for it, but the best punishment is for the media to highlight the bad examples of it and for the replays to be shown over and over. Pretty embarrassing for the player in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faking is pretty bad but there is the stigma that comes with staging that loses respect for that player. plus umpires watch replays and umpires don't like to be made to look foolish so next time
they will get there fair whack by missing out on a possible legit free.

A bigger beef is the liar who claims and pleads with the goal umps that he touched it when he didn't.

Hope so as Cotch is likely to have a field day from the umps as Crowley is one of the 2 worst offenders (with Flogroy Jetta) in the AFL at it.

It is embarrassing especially when it is from your team.
Penalty should be harsher so players can learn (Jetta)

the pretending to be hit/shoved and falling to the ground rubbish has to be cut out of the game

haven't seen the incidents but re:faking contact/simulation penalties should be quite harsh

I'd like to see
1st offence - straight to tribunal -> 1 week automatic penalty if found guilty (i.e. no discounts for early plea/record)
2nd offence - - straight to tribunal -> 2 week automatic penalty if found guilty
3rd offence (+subsequent) - - straight to tribunal -> 4 week automatic penalty if found guilty

double penalty for such acts in finals games.

Would stamp it out pretty quick

Completely agree.

Issue a press release stating that any diving/faking/accentuating contact will result in suspensions and then go really hard on it from that week.

You might suspend 50 players week one, but come week two there would be none.

I don't think suspensions would be the right way to go about it. A player will still try to win the grand final for their team, and it would be worth the week suspension at the start of next season.

I think a simple free kick in play would get it sorted pretty quickly. This will obviously only be the case if the umpire is 100% sure a player has taken a dive.

Eg. The Crowley one yesterday was after a goal, so it should start back in the centre with a Crows free kick. I can imagine the words a coach would have with his player if the bitch takes a dive to cost the team a free kick. It would become a rare thing in our game.

If then a player still continually does it, perhaps some sort of system where after 3 instances by the same player have been punished in play, then the tribunal can take a look and deem a suspension worthy or not.

Give em a warning for the first offence. Week for the 2nd. 2 weeks for the 3rd. 3 for the 4th. It would stop in a heartbeat. I guess it becomes a little bit harder when players like stevie J and buddy accentuate contact... it's not really the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back