Sports 'Famous' sports people you have played with or against

Remove this Banner Ad

Won a gold medal at the State champs in a 4 x 50 freestyle relay in primary school with Nathan Jones as our anchor. He had a blistering final leg, taking us from 3rd to 1st. He was a gun swimmer and runner at that age.

Faced up against him in a 50m freestyle race in high school. I torched him, but to be fair he had started focusing on footy at that point and the extra 15 kg of muscle he had put on was making him sink to the bottom of the pool.

I played rugby union with Scott Murray which probably won't mean much to people that don't follow rugby union but he's a Scottish rugby legend.

This was back in the mid 90s when him and another mate from the Scottish U21 side came out to Perth in their off season and played for our rugby club, Scott was only 19 or 20 back then but he still dominated at first grade level here. He was like the Scottish John Eales, he dominated the line outs and also kicked for goal, I saw him kick penalty goals from the sidelines. I don't think he ever kicked for Scotland though but he could have he was that good.

He wasn't the friendliest bloke off the field though, he was super serious and never drank much, if at all. Him and his mate would sometimes come out with us to pubs and parties after games and he would stand around looking serious not drinking much while we all got shitfaced making idiots of ourselves as you do at that age. He certainly wasn't your typical 19 or 20 year old, he was totally focused on rugby and you could tell he was destined to play for Scotland.

I remember at one party we were at, he was hanging around in the kitchen on his own looking serious and bored while everyone else was getting drunk and loose, I thought I'd try and make some conversation with him so I told him that I was a big Simple Minds fan expecting him to be impressed and get some conversation going with him but he just replied stony faced "I've never heard of them".

I was sure he had to be taking the piss as being Scottish and not knowing Simple Minds is like being Australian and not knowing Cold Chisel but the campaigner was so serious it was hard to tell if he was joking or not.

Yes - not getting hammered at parties and being loose = unfriendly :rolleyes:

You can not drink much and still be friendly, Scott Murray just wasn't that friendly at all. He was quite an aloof character like he was better than all of us which to be fair to him he was in rugby terms but he still could have loosened up a bit and had more fun. Me and my mates at the club were about the same age as him and acted like typical guys that age getting hammered and acting the goose but he just looked down on us with contempt like he was a 50 or 60 year old.

I guess it paid off for him with a very successful professional rugby career but he sacrificed a lot of the fun social side of rugby to do that.

The bloke probably just thought that you were a complete tool.

He must've thought everyone at our club were complete tools then as he was stand offish with everyone, his mate from the Scottish U21 side used to get on the booze with us and have a good time so I think it was more the fact that he was just overly serious for his age.

Great rugby player though.

I played rugby union with Scott Murray which probably won't mean much to people that don't follow rugby union but he's a Scottish rugby legend.

This was back in the mid 90s when him and another mate from the Scottish U21 side came out to Perth in their off season and played for our rugby club, Scott was only 19 or 20 back then but he still dominated at first grade level here. He was like the Scottish John Eales, he dominated the line outs and also kicked for goal, I saw him kick penalty goals from the sidelines. I don't think he ever kicked for Scotland though but he could have he was that good.

He wasn't the friendliest bloke off the field though, he was super serious and never drank much, if at all. Him and his mate would sometimes come out with us to pubs and parties after games and he would stand around looking serious not drinking much while we all got shitfaced making idiots of ourselves as you do at that age. He certainly wasn't your typical 19 or 20 year old, he was totally focused on rugby and you could tell he was destined to play for Scotland.

I remember at one party we were at, he was hanging around in the kitchen on his own looking serious and bored while everyone else was getting drunk and loose, I thought I'd try and make some conversation with him so I told him that I was a big Simple Minds fan expecting him to be impressed and get some conversation going with him but he just replied stony faced "I've never heard of them".

I was sure he had to be taking the piss as being Scottish and not knowing Simple Minds is like being Australian and not knowing Cold Chisel but the campaigner was so serious it was hard to tell if he was joking or not.

What a barrel of larfs, he was

Hilarious - drop another trip.

Hello Frederick.

I don't know what you mean by drop another trip. I think on your last trip to Ashlee and Martin, they may have inserted the plugs a little too deep and it's affecting your frontal lobe.

Lol. Did you search your name on Google today, Fredrick?

Make sure you update you Wikipedia page while you're at it with "Doesn't wear a rug" (Maybe you could put in that great story), and under 'Other Names' you could put "not Fredrick."

You're a sick puppy. We thought so too until our boys found out the rumours are crap. Ask the boys for yourself - Melville Rams D Grade amateurs, coach back then was Kurty.

Hello Frederick.

I don't know what you mean by drop another trip. I think on your last trip to Ashlee and Martin, they may have inserted the plugs a little too deep and it's affecting your frontal lobe.

That would be Ashlee and Fartin wouldn't it?

That would be Ashlee and Fartin wouldn't it?
You'd know more about it than I, Mr Frederick.

I have a serious question for you before you head off to make-up.

What's Suzanna Carr like ? I know she is a bit older now but I reckon she'd be a pocket rocket in the sack.

Care to share any stories I could put in the wank bank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's Suzanna Carr like ? I know she is a bit older now but I reckon she'd be a pocket rocket in the sack.

You bewdy! Ive grown a foot and now Im on the telly. Im the new Fredrick.

Used to get instructed to tag Joel Selwood. Which meant I spent most of the game following him around watching him get 400 touches.

Was real excited one day playing his side because he was off captaining Victoria so thought I'd finally get a decent crack against his club. Lined up on the wing annnnnnd spent all day chasing Scott ******* Selwood.

Who the hell would join Bigfooty to white knight Rick Ardon?

Oh yeah I know.

a_090312wwkbasil6_19737av-19737b3.jpg

Susannah Carr has a massive arse on her, she looks an OK milf on tv where you just see her top half but below the desk she's like Chrissie Swan.

The only footy player I played with that went on to become successful was Danny Southern.

He played in our Wembley primary school footy team and tbh he wasn't as great af as you'd think he was back then.

He was a good player but not a superstar by any means, it's not like you thought he would play WAFL little loan AFL back then.

Great bloke though, his old man was a hippy that drove a kombie van and used to drive us to footy carnivals all piled in the back on cushions with the seats taken out so it didn't surprise me when Danny became a hippy type living in Egypt like his old man.

It made me laugh when Danny was labelled an AFL hardman though, his older sister Caroline was tougher than him, she was tough af that bitch.

Used to play juniors with Nikita Rukavystya. Was incredibly good. Would just be there at training dribbling the ball on his head and nothing else. Won the league with him that season and obviously he ended up playing for Glory, Australia and some German sides. Didn't do too badly for himself.

Used to play juniors with Nikita Rukavystya. Was incredibly good. Would just be there at training dribbling the ball on his head and nothing else. Won the league with him that season and obviously he ended up playing for Glory, Australia and some German sides. Didn't do too badly for himself.
Always thought he was destined for big things when he first came onto the scene with Glory, seems to have gone backwards unfortunately.

Made 60 odd once against Matthew Innes playing rep cricket, about 2 yrs before he opened bowling for Vics in Sheffield Shield.
Played Jim Higgs once in cricket and hit him for a 4. He was about 60 years old at the time ! Ross Greenwood the ch9 finance guy played in same team as Higgsy.
Played footy with Stewie Loewe.
Knocked over Justin Leppitsch's beers one time off a table and he threatened to kill me.
Got into an argument once with Mark McClure at Sorrento Pub.

I think Hurn was offered a rookie contract by the SACA the year he was drafted by the Eagles.
He had a rookie contract in '04/'05 (when he was 16), and turned down a second year and entered the draft at the end of '05. Top order bat, sensational cricketer. I played both footy and cricket with and against Bunga. I remember asking him about his decision making process of choosing footy over cricket, he said it was easy, 600+ spots in the AFL, only 20 odd Cricket Australia contracts.

I've heard that when you play Prick Hard-On in footy, you can hear his booming voice shouting "herrrrrre haannndddds!" from 200 metres away.

Played with Josh Bootsma, Marley Williams, Brenden Abbott, and Jeremy and Mitch McGovern. Eight years ago, I would've been surprised if you told me Jeremy would end up still caring enough to play WAFL let alone be an absolute gun full back in an AFL Grand Final side. The rest were never absolute superstars, I was surprised when Marley got a WA U18s gig, but good on him and the rest of them because Williams is a hard little nut who'll crack 150 games and the rest ended up with better life stories than me.

Last edited:
Played against Des Hedland in basketball a few years ago. I think this was when he was still on the dockers list.
Barely seemed to be trying yet was just so much better than everyone else.
Helps being a professional athlete against complete amateurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back