Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference is people go to a comedy night to actually see and experience that. 90% of people go to the footy to just watch the game and don't appreciate knob jockeys blurting expletives. It's uncomfortable for parents to sit through it with their kids, and kids often feel uncomfortable withe aggression. Society is moving forward, can't just expect to accept abuse at a footy game.

There's a happy medium and it's always been found tacitly. The people being targeted are not crossing the line and in most cases are nowhere near it.

I don't think you understand much at all.

Same absolute crock of **** that is coming from the AFL.

The public owns a slice of the game. And we can cash out at any time.
You're cashing out when nothing has changed. The AFL hasn't changed anything. You're perception of it has changed. because you have the choice now to rant on social media with an avalanche of other people about issues. It creates conjecture. Here you are arguing so passionately about something that really means nothing in the context of life. The fact you're arguing so hard right now when the chances of you going to the footy and getting kicked out are still so low, shows how irrelevant the whole issue is and that you're getting revved up about something because of social media. Not the AFL.

No this is a big issue. It shows that some training is required here for an important job.

This man's job, broadly, is crowd control. If anything, a barny between players near the boundary means it is probably MORE likely there'll be a crowd incident / escalation nearby (fight, language, throwing something into the field, etc). This security guy was not watching the crowd at the time, so would have been on the back foot if there was an issue, and also not able to provide a proper eyewitness account of any potential incident.

It was more than a mistake, it was a fundamental misunderstanding of his job.
That he will.most likely learn from now. It's not a big deal to make a mistake. I'm sure you've done it with your own job before.

This is now morphing into an excuse for morons to attack brown security guards and whinge about immigration.

How disappointing.

Yes people are too quick to take it down that path.

Perhaps there is some truth in the "cultural misunderstanding" aspect, but that is no excuse to be a knob about it. If you think some of their approach is OTT (which I do, like in my pervious KP story, or the whole body scanning crap) just remember that they are doing their job and if they are inexperienced then like the rest of us, their best bet in that situation is to do what their boss tells them until they learn the subtleties.

So in the moment, give them a break. If you are really unhappy overall, complain to the AFL or something

Perhaps there is some truth in the "cultural misunderstanding" aspect, but that is no excuse to be a knob about it. If you think some of their approach is OTT (which I do, like in my pervious KP story, or the whole body scanning crap) just remember that they are doing their job and if they are inexperienced then like the rest of us, their best bet in that situation is to do what their boss tells them until they learn the subtleties.

So in the moment, give them a break. If you are really unhappy overall, complain to the AFL or something
Exactly. Social media giving a platform for everyone to rant is what has created the issue and what makes something so irrelevant become a distasteful mess. There is literally no point for this whole thread.

That he will.most likely learn from now. It's not a big deal to make a mistake. I'm sure you've done it with your own job before.

I have but as i mentioned I recon this sort of mistake is symptomatic of a basic misunderstand of his job, which means the company's training needs review. It was more than just a poor decision or a utensil up.

There's a happy medium and it's always been found tacitly. The people being targeted are not crossing the line and in most cases are nowhere near it.

I don't think you understand much at all.
The fact of the matter is no more people are being targetted than there were before. Non Australian guards and ejection from the footy as always been there. They're just being highlighted now because of social media and competitive journalism. It really shouldn't be a talking point. There's literally 0.01% of footy goers being affected by this. If you are one of those who gets kicked out then deal with it personally. Until then you're arguing for absolutely no reason. I'll bet my bank account that you can go to the footy this week and not get kicked out.

I have but as i mentioned I recon this sort of mistake is symptomatic of a basic misunderstand of his job, which means the company's training needs review. It was more than just a poor decision or a utensil up.
There's alot less to his job than what you think tho from a client point of view, that's the point I'm making. I mentioned it in a previous post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The easiest way around untrained guards etc, is to simply work together as a society, realise everyone needs to.put bread on the table, and so just help each other out by respecting everyone's jobs and rights. Do we really need to defend our impulsive need to blurt out expletives to the point where we are creating this massive issue where people jobs are being put at risk, and culture is being brought up. All for what? The want to be a dickkhead at the footy. Just help each other out, go to the footy and don't give a reason for anyone to kick you out so that you can enjoy the game and the guards can go home without having to worry about doing anything. It's not that hard.

If everyone at the footy behaved themselves all the time there wouldn't be any need for security guards or police in the first place but that just isn't realistic.

When you have large crowds of people watching a game of football which they are emotionally invested in combined with alcohol there is going to be trouble.

Yep, I've ****ed up at my job before. I'd hate for people to assume it's caused by my pigmentation/culture/gender.

Continue on your don't tell me what to do bandwagon then. You're not going to get anywhere. If you want to live the rest of your life frustrated then keep arguing.

I'm getting somewhere alright. In front of my TV.

No more paying at the gate each week, no more footy Record, no more pie & Coke, no more merchandise, no more donations to charities, no more ingesting the sponsors' advertising.

But you can keep me for the princely sum of butt the * out.

At the end of the day theres a massive spectrum of what people find acceptable and not acceptable. So to expect a guard to make the right decision when 100 people in a room all have a different opinion about it is a hard position to put the bloke in. It's a s**t job to have from a judgement perspective. There isn't right or wrong, it's upto the individual guard to apply his authority to what he believes is unsocial behaviour. If he could up then he'll learn from it and make a more reasonable decision next time.

I'm getting somewhere alright. In front of my TV.

No more paying at the gate each week, no more footy Record, no more pie & Coke, no more merchandise, no more donations to charities, no more ingesting the sponsors' advertising.

But you can keep me for the princely sum of butt the **** out.
If you're going to stop spending your money on all that despite never going to be in a situation where you're going to kicked out, then that's up to you. If you want to limit your enjoyment of the game for absolutely no reason that affects you then go for it. You're only.limiting your own quality of life. Like I said, you're not getting kicked out mate, it's not as big an issue as you think. If you want to be excessively abusive or start a punch on then that's a different story. Stay home for everyone else's sake of that's the case.

If everyone at the footy behaved themselves all the time there wouldn't be any need for security guards or police in the first place but that just isn't realistic.

When you have large crowds of people watching a game of football which they are emotionally invested in combined with alcohol there is going to be trouble.
Which is why some people need to be kicked out when crossing the line. It's completely called for. Emotionally invested isn't an excuse for abuse or starting a punch on

If you're going to stop spending your money on all that despite never going to be in a situation where you're going to kicked out, then that's up to you. If you want to limit your enjoyment of the game for absolutely no reason that affects you then go for it. You're only.limiting your own quality of life. Like I said, you're not getting kicked out mate, it's not as big an issue as you think. If you want to be excessively abusive or start a punch on then that's a different story. Stay home for everyone else's sake of that's the case.

I love the footy and have been to about 900 VFL/AFL games without issue, but if I'm going to be kicked out or scolded for yelling BULL****! at a hundred decibels, I'll please myself and opt out.

People like you think the great unwashed are imbeciles.

I love the footy and have been to about 900 VFL/AFL games without issue, but if it stops being enjoyable, I'll please myself and opt out.

People like you think the great unwashed are imbeciles.
Nothing's changed mate. If you havnt been locked out in 900 games then you won't be kicked out in the future. Dunno why you think your enjoyment will be any less.

What you need to realise is the only reason for the AFL focusing on crowd behaviour is people like yourself. Not because you're being unsocial. But because you're breathing so much air into this so called issue and rolling it into something it's not. The AFl has no choice but to focus on it because you're arguing so hard and turning it into a big deal. The more air you give it the more focus on behaviour there is going to be. Because it has so much air with differences in opinion, the AFL feel it has a responsibilty to come out and protect certain people.

If social media and competitive journalism didn't exist, this wouldn't have been an issue, and Jeff Kennet wouldn't have needed to come out a say what he did. Meaning that cultural debate wouldn't have even started in the first place. Can you not see the never ending cycle? People like you have started it.

No one would have batted an eye to the security guard jumping into the field or kicking anyone out 20 years ago. Thats your evidence.

What you need to realise is the only reason for the AFL focusing on crowd behaviour is people like yourself.

Oh, I understand perfectly. There's a new social order and it's vomiting over all aspects of our existence.

I think the administration is doing a poor job for all sorts of reasons. This is merely the tipping point.

The only thing the AFL understands is money. So I'm going to speak their language.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back