Favourite/Greatest acting performances

Remove this Banner Ad

The Joker is his pinnacle, almost out of this world s**t. But the first time I recognised his talent was in The Brothers Grimm. It was the first I saw him develop and bring to life a fully realised character. Up until then I did not know that he had that in him.
Brokeback, Monsters Ball... he was incredible in both of those. His performance in The Dark Knight was next level. He was gonna be something else. Such a shame.

Another good actor was Philip Seymour Hoffman, he was great in Capote. The voice and mannerism were spot on.

I also didn't mind the performances by Matt Damon and Jude Law in The Talented Mr Ripley

PSH was a great actor and one who still had many great roles ahead of him. He was big loss as well.

First him saw him in Flawless alongside Deniro he was quite good in that. But really loved his work in tbe 25th hour and the underrated Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Losing him and Robin Williams in the same year sucked.

Last edited:

Rooney Mara - Carol

Adam Driver - Paterson

Colin Farrell - The Lobster

Kirsten Dunst - Melancholia

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty

Oscar Isaac - Inside Llewyn Davis

Also, Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces, and Travolta in Blow Out, probably their two best performances.

I cant remember who it was, but somebody said that Brad Pitt is a character actor trapped in the body of a leading man.

His character roles have been his best.
I think this is true, though he is capable of leading. He does a reasonable job in Benjamin Button, is strong in Moneyball and Fight Club and works well with Freeman in Seven. But I consider The Tree of Life his best work and smaller roles in Twelve Monkeys, Burn After Reading and Thelma & Louise best showcase his talents. He also does some amazing work in The Assassination of Jesse James, but is less impactful the more we see him.

I think this is true, though he is capable of leading. He does a reasonable job in Benjamin Button, is strong in Moneyball and Fight Club and works well with Freeman in Seven. But I consider The Tree of Life his best work and smaller roles in Twelve Monkeys, Burn After Reading and Thelma & Louise best showcase his talents. He also does some amazing work in The Assassination of Jesse James, but is less impactful the more we see him.

I think you'd say Benjamin Button is more a character role, consider the variations. Fight Club is again a character role.

Seven i actually think he's pretty crap. But that might also be the scripting.

Moneyball fair enough, but its a very internal performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'd say Benjamin Button is more a character role, consider the variations. Fight Club is again a character role.

Seven i actually think he's pretty crap. But that might also be the scripting.

Moneyball fair enough, but its a very internal performance.
It's a character role, but in terms of screen time and role he is leading the film. He's certainly capable, but the Snatch, True Romance type roles have always suited him more.

A few that I don't think have been mentioned yet....

Robin Williams - Good Morning, Vietnam
Ryan Gosling - Drive
Daniel Henshall - snowtown
Sam Rockwell - Moon
Jack Nicholson - As Good As It Gets
Colin Farrell - Phonebooth

Sherrilyn Fenn.
Two Moon junction.
:p

Personally, I reckon she was out performed a few years earlier by Mathilda May in Lifeforce.:p

Also, Steve Railsback's performance in said movie was so over the top it was hilarious and/or brilliant.

Thought he was brilliant in Stripes and Ghostbusters and Caddyshack and... Everything I've seen.

I know its an unpopular opinion, but Caddyshack was the biggest pile of horse sh1t ever to be filmed. Half a dozen funny jokes surrounded by Bill Murray phoning it in.

I know its an unpopular opinion, but Caddyshack was the biggest pile of horse sh1t ever to be filmed. Half a dozen funny jokes surrounded by Bill Murray phoning it in.

I agree with you, I don't think Caddyshack is particularly funny, but Bill Murray made it watchable. His character is the only one that continually makes me laugh, even now 35 years and 3-4 viewings later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back