lacrow

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2003
Los Angeles
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dodgers, Lakers
Finally we see what the Crows are capable of when we stop panicking with the ball. When Galluci got tackled for HTB I said to myself "Good. I'm glad someone would rather take the tackle than just kick blindly to a bad option."

Then later guys like Milera were dodging and weaving out of tackles and looking for good options rather than randomly spitting out handballs and kicks in a panicked fashion like they (the entire team) did against Richmond.

Keep your heads boys and I think we can finally start to win games. Especially if we are lucky enough to play Richmond again (not likely), I would rather see us give up 10 HTB decisions than perform the way we did a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne.

Thoughts?

Finally we see what the Crows are capable of when we stop panicking with the ball. When Galluci got tackled for HTB I said to myself "Good. I'm glad someone would rather take the tackle than just kick blindly to a bad option."

Then later guys like Milera were dodging and weaving out of tackles and looking for good options rather than randomly spitting out handballs and kicks in a panicked fashion like they (the entire team) did against Richmond.

Keep your heads boys and I think we can finally start to win games. Especially if we are lucky enough to play Richmond again (not likely), I would rather see us give up 10 HTB decisions than perform the way we did a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne.

Thoughts?

Have been saying exactly this for ages. HTB is not really damaging as long as you don't let the ball roll free and take the max time to get up and give the ball back. We need players getting pinged while looking for targets, it's actually a good sign.

Thoughts?
Agree with what you are saying but if you have pace in your forward line getting the ball in that area by any means whether its a kick of the ground, handball, hack kick will result in a 50/50 and generally the team with better smalls with pace will win the ball. Agree the flighted kick to a player that is not to advantage can easily be marked but the low hack kick to advantage cannot. This is clearly won by legspeed and will to pressure and win the ball. Richmond do this better than anyone with their fleet of pacey smalls.

Agree with what you are saying but if you have pace in your forward line getting the ball in that area by any means whether its a kick of the ground, handball, hack kick will result in a 50/50 and generally the team with better smalls with pace will win the ball. Agree the flighted kick to a player that is not to advantage can easily be marked but the low hack kick to advantage cannot. This is clearly won by legspeed and will to pressure and win the ball. Richmond do this better than anyone with their fleet of pacey smalls.

That is probably true, but most of the time when we are panicked we bomb it long to a contest where we have no dominant contested marks. Most times, this results in either a turnover or a lost opportunity.

That is probably true, but most of the time when we are panicked we bomb it long to a contest where we have no dominant contested marks. Most times, this results in either a turnover or a lost opportunity.
Agree gov is needed badly. He transforms our forward line as walker has been dropping everything due to a loss of confidence. Gov is one of the best contested marks in the league when on song. But murphy, betts, gallucci and knight are super important when the ball hits the ground and especially to lock the ball in.

Your basic premise is solid and something Hawthorn do. They take the HTB then hold the ball longer for the set up. So I agree doing it cleverly can help

BUT

On this quote at least the ball is 30-50m further down the field.

The reason gooch got done is cos he thought he was in the clear.

Yeah, but he was also actively looking for an option. In the Richmond game guys were just blindly kicking even when open because they were so spooked. At least that's what I saw.

I think in the last Richmond game, we oftene bombed it anyway when our player with the ball was clear and had a kick into the F50.

Also quite often a player received a mark, turned around to see a medium distance option ahead but doesn't decide to kick it to him quickly enough - perhaps too worried about mucking up the pass and causing a turnover tight there. This ended up with an opposition player then manning up the marker, who is then forced to go back to take his kick and ends up kicking a long high bomb straight ahead.

We did a lot less bombing in the Geelong game and seemed to be much more willing to kick to a nearby player a lot sooner and the results were much better. Maybe Geelong didn't have running players as good as Richmond do also helped.

A big problem with the long, high looping/hanging bomb is it gives teams with speedy runners like Richmond time to get under the fall of the ball and swamp any of our players under it. And we don't have the players to take a mark over the pack when Gov is not available and Eddie is forced to try jumping over the pack.

We need to do a lot more targeted kicking to advantage, kick to an opposition player if he's protecting a zone but kick it to the oppo player to his disadvantage (a bit too high to mark so he's a bit of a sitting duck) and let our big forwards run at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back