Preview Finals Week 1 - Carlton v Sydney Swans - A Preview Driven By AI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2023 TOYOTA AFL PREMIERSHIP
Finals Week 1 • Carlton v Sydney Swans
Friday 8 September 2023 • 7:50 PM (GMT+10)

1693394556332.png

Like most people who get asked to write a finals preview, I decided to get some help from an external source, so may I present to you, an AFL Finals Preview, written by Chat GTP, honestly I think its really accurate.

In a world where sportsmanship and fair play were held in high regard, the events that unfolded would shake the very foundation of Australian Rules Football. The Carlton Football Club, a team once revered for its achievements on the field, found itself entangled in a web of deceit and corruption that threatened to tarnish its legacy forever.

As the Elimination final between the Carlton Blues and the Sydney Swans approached, excitement buzzed through the air. Fans from both sides gathered at the stadium, eagerly awaiting the clash that would determine which team would move forward in the finals. The Swans were in prime form, while the Blues were struggling to find their footing after a challenging season.

Unbeknownst to the players and the majority of the coaching staff, a sinister plan was brewing behind the scenes. A few high-ranking members within the Carlton Football Club had hatched a scheme to rig the match in their favour, with the help of a generous "sponsorship" from Visy, a company with deep pockets and questionable intentions.

In the days leading up to the match, envelopes filled with substantial amounts of money exchanged hands discreetly between these club officials and certain AFL umpires. The money was intended to sway decisions on crucial calls during the game, ensuring that the Carlton Blues would gain an unfair advantage. The conspiracy was carefully orchestrated, with promises of lucrative rewards for the umpires' cooperation.

On the day of the match, the atmosphere was electric. The crowd roared with anticipation as the teams took the field. As the game began, it became evident that something was amiss. The umpires' calls seemed unusually biased, favoring Carlton in critical moments. The Swans' players and coaching staff were left bewildered and frustrated by the apparent injustice.

In a baffling turn of events, Carlton's star forward, McKay, who had been a reliable goal kicker throughout the season, suddenly found himself unable to convert his shots at goal. Each time he lined up for a set shot, the ball sailed wide of the posts, often missing by a hair's breadth. The crowd gasped in disbelief as the behind count for McKay reached unprecedented heights, while the goals column remained vacant.

Meanwhile, Cripps, Carlton's towering midfielder, appeared to have undergone a remarkable transformation. Standing at an astonishing 3 meters tall, he dominated the field with an unfair advantage over his opponents. His towering presence disrupted the Swans' game plan, allowing Carlton to gain an upper hand in the midfield battles.

As the final siren approached, the Carlton Blues were leading by a margin that had been unfairly inflated by the rigged decisions and the bizarre circumstances. The Sydney Swans, although resilient, couldn't overcome the odds stacked against them. The final score displayed a misleading outcome, one that didn't reflect the true spirit of the game.

In the aftermath of the match, whispers of corruption began to circulate. Investigative journalists delved into the matter, uncovering a web of deceit that reached the highest echelons of the Carlton Football Club. The truth was exposed, and the repercussions were severe. The club officials involved were banned from the sport for life, and the tainted victory was nullified.

The events surrounding the rigged Elimination final served as a cautionary tale, a reminder of the importance of integrity and fair competition in sports. The Carlton Football Club, once a respected institution, had tarnished its reputation irreparably, leaving behind a legacy of shame and regret. The Australian Rules Football community united in its determination to ensure that such a dark chapter would never be repeated, reaffirming their commitment to the values that had always defined the sport they loved.
Honestly the ChatGPT scares me as computers are nearly always right! but if you do look at this match I think we have some chance.

• Defensively we match up well on Carltons forward line (as long as we can keep Curnow quiet).
  • I think our new forward line is fairly mobile and I would back us to move Weitering away from the contest.
  • Carlton struggle with small/ medium forwards, so expecting good games out of Hayward, Heeney and Wicks.
The issue will be the midfield, if we can break even (and we may have to go head to head at some stoppages), then I honestly think we can win this match. The week off will do us a tonne of good as I think we just ran out of legs last weekend after a few big weeks.

Honestly, think Carlton are the favourites (Mostly for the reasons outlined by ChatGPT) but I do think we have some chance if we can get a good run at it.

Attachments

• 1693394379056.png
    1693394379056.png
    26 KB · Views: 102
  • 1693394436305.png
    1693394436305.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 1693394482049.png
    1693394482049.png
    27 KB · Views: 100

We will need to repeat our effort at stifling Cripps and prevent Curnow from getting his hands on the ball too often.
If we succeed at those two things, plus bring the manic pressure for the whole game we will win.
Our forwards are good enough if our mids can give them enough quality ball.

This is close to a 50/50 game imo.

Both teams overcoming poor form early in the season to make the finals.

Both teams losing in r24 after being the in-form teams heading into the round.

Quite a similar form line over the last 5 weeks. Carlton with a slight edge given they've won by slightly larger margins. Plus we had the assisted win against Adelaide.

They beat Melbourne by 4, we lost to them.
We beat GWS, Carlton lost to them.
We beat the Suns by a larger margin.

Very evenly matched sides. Carlton have home crowd advantage.

I'd have Carlton slight favourites, maybe 55/45 favourites, but it all comes down to how we play on the day.

Only two Carlton players worry me - Charlie Curnow and George Hewett.

If we can pay the umpires off then that'll be Curnow taken care of.

A big Heeney KO like back in round 11 - that is perfectly safe, legal and doesn't cause any injury - should take care of Hewett.

Then we win by 361 points.

Only two Carlton players worry me - Charlie Curnow and George Hewett.

If we can pay the umpires off then that'll be Curnow taken care of.

A big Heeney KO like back in round 11 - that is perfectly safe, legal and doesn't cause any injury - should take care of Hewett.

Then we win by 361 points.
Should've been 366, except for Hawyward and that shanked around the body kick. But then no game is complete without one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbh, they'll either get dismantled by Carlton or just scrape by and get dismantled in the next game.
You forgot the 3rd & 4th options - play an outstanding game of finals-worthy footy and then piss it away in the last quarter, or do everything right except kick straight.

Matthew Lloyd & Jimmy Bartel had some pretty thorough strategic analysis on how we could beat Carlton (swamp Curnow to punish their Curnow-centric entries, half forwards/small forwards pushing up to give numbers around the contest, swarming forward in numbers)

Their solution for how Carlton could beat us was for them to stop Errol Gulden.

IMG_4438.gif

mind blow wow GIF

Sounds like some riveting analysis.

Matthew Lloyd & Jimmy Bartel had some pretty thorough strategic analysis on how we could beat Carlton (swamp Curnow to punish their Curnow-centric entries, half forwards/small forwards pushing up to give numbers around the contest, swarming forward in numbers)

View attachment 1791067
Funny but an element of truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back