First 22 in 2023

The top end of those guys are so good I’m not even sure we’ll go that deep. For me one of Neale or Dunkley should be at every single ball-up of the game and I’d even nearly say 2 of Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage should be at every ball-up of the game. This won’t leave too much room for rotations which is a big part of why I’m struggling to fit Lyons into the team as he lacks the versatility of most others.
Would love to see Rayner thrown into the mix there a bit, in a similar fashion to the way that Richmond use Dusty.
In at the centre bounce and then float forward.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It makes sense for Lyons to get a go only if Neale is unavailable. Even if Dunkley is out for some reason, we may shuffle Berry from wing to inside and replace a wing rather than bring Lyons in. I'm not even making a case for Robertson, I'm just trying to see where Lyons would fit if both Neale and Dunkley are playing.
Despite the majority of BF posters not wanting or thinking Lyons should be best 22, the coaching staff do but conditions would apply..... Should JL be fit and play a couple of practice match's (showing his form of old) , I am confident he will start round 1. His performances when fit speak for theirselves.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Despite the majority of BF posters not wanting or thinking Lyons should be best 22, the coaching staff do but conditions would apply..... Should JL be fit and play a couple of practice match's (showing his form of old) , I am confident he will start round 1. His performances when fit speak for theirselves.
What role would you see him playing? The 3rd mid alongside Dunkley and Neale? Would he be playing all of his time on ground in the middle or is there a belief that he could play a bit more as a forward?

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree with you on Lyons.
A fit Lyons is a better player than Dev of the 2022 variety.
Dev can and most likely will improve on his 2022 year.
Lyons i don't think has much improvement on his 2021 season but that year he was excellent.
Last year Lyons was still good up until his injury in round 15.

With the type of injury he has, i hope the club and Jarrod himself just progress enough to have him right at some early stage of the season.
We have good depth now so no need to repeat last year's mistake of playing him injured.
It is a long year and having Lyons back to normal will be a big asset.

Yeah the problem is where though. If we want to retain McCluggage midfield minutes along with Ashcroft coming off the bench - I don't see where Lyons would fit. Its Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage or Neale, Dunkley, Berry.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m hoping we get ourselves into a good enough position ladder wise this year to give the like of Lachie, Dunks, Zorko etc a rest towards the latter part of the year and have them cherry ripe for (hopefully) another finals campaign.

There is no way with the depth we now have in the team that we should be “burning out” the best 22, playing them for 22 rounds. Geelong have been playing that card for years and it’s time to learn from the best.

That was out of the blue a bit.
Both kind of agreed for down the track a bit especially, maybe not right now.

That took me by surprise as well. Perhaps it’s different for people closer to the club.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
"As one of the AFL’s deepest teams, Brisbane could have some quality tactical substitute options.

If they’re looking for experience, Callum Ah Chee wore the medical substitute vest multiple times last campaign with his versatility making him a standout while Conor McKenna has the speed to break games open.

If the Lions want some youth and spark from their fifth bench option, Darcy Wilmot and Kai Lohmann fit the bill and in their second seasons should continue to progress after showing glimpses of their potential in 2022.

Chris Fagan often liked to use ruckman Darcy Fort as a medical substitute option late last season and if they’re looking for a tall option, the 29-year-old again is in the frame alongside Tom Fullarton.

Don’t be surprised to see draftee Jaspa Fletcher get his first taste of senior football in this role either with Will Ashcroft appearing a best 22 lock."

For me it's Ah Chee, as I think he is the most diverse or Answerth for what it's worth. Depends on who's best 22 I guess.

I think the tall sub idea has had its run.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My best 22 next year after all off season moves and Adams placed on the inactive list, so Payne in is a change from my first go.

Backline:
Gardiner Payne Starcevich
Coleman Andrews Rich

Midfield:
Berry Clugga Robertson
McInerney Neale Dunkley

Forwards:
Bailey Hipwood Rayner
Gunston Daniher Cameron

Interchange:
Zorko McKenna Ashcroft McCarthy

Sub/Depth:
Wilmot Lyons AhChee Answerth Fort Prior Lohmann Tunstill Fullarton Joyce etc etc!

Toss of the coin between McKenna and Wilmot for the last spot on the bench, whoever misses out is the sub for mine.
I'm really worried about our forward lines ability to do the dirty work. The chasing, tackling, corralling etc. Hopefully the news systems the club has been working on filters through to them.

I hope that we play Dev over Lyons by default this year. Need a player who is capable of driving defensive standards.
See, its not even a Dev vs Lyons thing anymore. Based on practice match looks like Ashcroft will be a lock into midfield off bench. Covers ground, finds footy, tackles hard etc. If he takes that spot then Dev has to find something else to do. May have to learn wing role to stay in best 22.

He said that he’s gone from one good midfield, to a better midfield.

And we do a lot more running than the dogs.
Which is interesting because Lachie Neale mentioned a little while ago that we do a bit less running here in Brissie due to the heat.
I guess he is comparing things back to when he was in Freo, where as Dunks is comparing to his time at the dogs, so I guess all clubs just do things a little differently.

Plus the coaching staff here may have recognised that the defensive running ability of the team last year was not up to scratch so has upped the ante in that area this year.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which is interesting because Lachie Neale mentioned a little while ago that we do a bit less running here in Brissie due to the heat.
I guess he is comparing things back to when he was in Freo, where as Dunks is comparing to his time at the dogs, so I guess all clubs just do things a little differently.

Plus the coaching staff here may have recognised that the defensive running ability of the team last year was not up to scratch so has upped the ante in that area this year.
From the few training session i attended only the midfield group were given additional running sessions.
However, that may have happened last year as well, but my old brain can't recall what happened last preseason.

I did notice one thing earlier in preseason training.
Big O was training with the overall group but continually called out to do some hard laps.
It would be good if Big O could get his TOG yearly average up to at least 85%.
He has only hit the 80"s% once in his career, that was 82.6% in 2021.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree with you on Lyons.
A fit Lyons is a better player than Dev of the 2022 variety.
Dev can and most likely will improve on his 2022 year.
Lyons i don't think has much improvement on his 2021 season but that year he was excellent.
Last year Lyons was still good up until his injury in round 15.

With the type of injury he has, i hope the club and Jarrod himself just progress enough to have him right at some early stage of the season.
We have good depth now so no need to repeat last year's mistake of playing him injured.
It is a long year and having Lyons back to normal will be a big asset.
Dev's level of improvement is surely linked to coaches backing him in and he is playing consistently in the 1's. FWIW i probably have a fit Lyons just in front of Dev, and Lyons still has a couple of years left on his contract. However, I would like to see Dev given a decent crack at the beginning of the season over Lyons but coaches probably have other thoughts.

Back