List Mgmt. First Round Draft Pick disasters from 2006.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the love guys!
Should we review our trading history now or shall we continue to avoid the original point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The thread title is first round pick disasters. Then you bitch about a bunch of players who aren't from the first round. A lot of which predate the current administration. If you had formed a more coherent argument people might have been more inclined to have this discussion. Again.

Time for the Recruiting a Team to be fired with extreme prejudice!

2006- Clayton Collard, our worst draft year. Every recruit a failure.

2007- Rhys Palmer ( Great first year player who broke Barlow's leg by accident ) Still playing for GWS.

2008- Stephen Hill , our best draft year.

2009- Anthony Morabito, desperately unlucky and a great player called Fyfe.

2010- Jayden Pitt. A totally lost year, a complete bust.

2011- Tom Sherridan. A high draft pick disappointment. A bust of a draft except for Sutcliffe.

2012- Josh Simpson. Disgusting choice who betrayed us. Another bust of a year.

2013- Michael Apeness. Another injury plagued talent like Morabito. Key position prospect taken well after our problems have come home to roost. Pass year for draft.

2014- Lachie Weller. Finally looking like our first draft win since 2008.

2015- Darcey Tucker. Looks to be a good selection year. Still to be determined.

By my assessment that is 3 years out of 10 where we have had some form of success without any Father / Son prospects.

We can't even say that we have had 10 great players over 10 years. When you are looking at bringing at least 4 new players to the club every year, is it any wonder we haven't won a flag.

A depressing review over our draft history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little inaccurate

We've had some wins, and lots of losses. Would like to see how our success rate stacks up against other teams.

Missing out on the McGovern brothers hurts, Hill's brother could of been handy.

Don't like our strategy of best available as it's lead us to this, still no Pav replacement after how many years.
Well the problem with 'best available' is its subjective and our recruiters aren't very good in organizing their draft board in the right order.

2010 was a complete dud.

#20: Pitt - just unlucky with his condition. Who know what he could of become
#44: Michie - excellent WAFL player
#56: Mellington - had that 1 good game against Geel. Apparently had a gambling addiction.

Couple of good rooke upgrades in Barlow, Silvagni and de Boer. Jay van Berlo not so much.

Jack Anthony in the preseason draft *shudder*

Rookies

#20: Gavin Roberts - who?
#37: Lower - didn't mind him actually but we effectively discarded him and couldn't get him back once McPhee retired
#68: Ruffles - did a knee from memory

Don't really want to get into this again but there was a recent article about GWS drafting on the AFL website.

The point made was that GWS have not drafted very well really but with 50 first round picks in the time we have had three they have still managed to hang onto about 25 of them not counting academy picks. Our success rate depends on if you count our poor run with injuries (Mora, Pitt, Apeness) to our first picks but is about the same if not better since we have had better success with later picks.

I tend to look at who went in the next 10 or so picks after ours to gauge the quality of our own selection.

For instance:

Freo took Tom Sheridan at pick 16 in 2011. The next 10 picks were

17 Clay Smith
18 Brad McKenzie
19 Elliott Kavanagh
20 Hayden Crozier
21 Tom Mitchell (F/S)
22 Josh Bootsma
23 Murray Newman
24 Henry Schade
25 Sebastian Ross
26 Todd Elton

Now, out of all them, I am glad we took Sheridan. Obviously he hasn't been great this year but has shown more promise than those listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By your original post.. Fyfe wasn't first round ;). But Morabito was great during his first season. Played 23/24 possible games. Then the ACL injury happened. The rest of 2009 Draft was utter crap. Crichton was ok, but Joel Houghton at pick 30ish. Did get a nice pick up in Roberton.

But a new thread need to be started on success in Rookie Drafts:
2002- Aaron Sandilands- Pick 33- 241 games
2003: Steven Dodd- Pick 51- 101 games
2004: Paul Duffield - Pick 10 - 171 games
2009: Matt de Boer- Pick 19- 135 games
Clancee Pearce- Pick 48
2010: Michael Barlow - Pick 8
Ales Silvagni (still on Seniors List)
2012: Lee Spurr- Pick 8
2013: Matt Taberner (Still on Seniors List)
2015: Ethan Hughes

Not a bad list.

Thanks for the love guys!
Should we review our trading history now or shall we continue to avoid the original point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wasn't the original point on drafting not trading?

I understood your premise to be:
A: The drafting has been bad;
B: Drafters should be replaced
A -> B.

I Think most people would dispute A; as suggested the last five years which you have listed as bad, even in hindsight looking at the players afterwards it is hard to argue differently from what they chose. The miss of Darling for Pitt is the only one which you might argue was an obvious oversight, but then basically every other club including teams that could also have sorely used a player like Jack overlooked him. The others that might still be a little painful in the future are Apeness over Lobb (but we then got Pearce later) and Kersten over Crozier (and this is still a maybe too).

By your original post.. Fyfe wasn't first round ;). But Morabito was great during his first season. Played 23/24 possible games. Then the ACL injury happened. The rest of 2009 Draft was utter crap. Crichton was ok, but Joel Houghton at pick 30ish. Did get a nice pick up in Roberton.

But a new thread need to be started on success in Rookie Drafts:
2002- Aaron Sandilands- Pick 33- 241 games
2003: Steven Dodd- Pick 51- 101 games
2004: Paul Duffield - Pick 10 - 171 games
2009: Matt de Boer- Pick 19- 135 games
Clancee Pearce- Pick 48
2010: Michael Barlow - Pick 8
Ales Silvagni (still on Seniors List)
2012: Lee Spurr- Pick 8
2013: Matt Taberner (Still on Seniors List)
2015: Ethan Hughes

Not a bad list.

We certainly get better value for selection from our Rookie List by comparison from our Draft Picks.

Wasn't the original point on drafting not trading?

I understood your premise to be:
A: The drafting has been bad;
B: Drafters should be replaced
A -> B.

I Think most people would dispute A; as suggested the last five years which you have listed as bad, even in hindsight looking at the players afterwards it is hard to argue differently from what they chose. The miss of Darling for Pitt is the only one which you might argue was an obvious oversight, but then basically every other club including teams that could also have sorely used a player like Jack overlooked him. The others that might still be a little painful in the future are Apeness over Lobb (but we then got Pearce later) and Kersten over Crozier (and this is still a maybe too).

Discussing the possibility of posting a new thread topic after being slammed for this one.

Imagine if we had a recruiter, that put a focus on recruiting talented big men, rather than highly skilled flankers. Our first round picks could of looked like this:

2006: Kurt Tippett (taken the pick after Collard)
2007: Lachie Henderson (taken after Palmer)
2008: Michael Hurley (although Hill was a good get at 3)
2009: John Butcher or Michael Talia (Butcher would of been the more likely pick, bust)
2010: Jack Darling
2011: No KPP's of note available at our pick.
2012: Brodie Grundy (taken the next pick)

Would agree with that with exception of Tom Mitchell who goes alright at the Swans

I tend to look at who went in the next 10 or so picks after ours to gauge the quality of our own selection.

For instance:

Freo took Tom Sheridan at pick 16 in 2011. The next 10 picks were

17 Clay Smith
18 Brad McKenzie
19 Elliott Kavanagh
20 Hayden Crozier
21 Tom Mitchell (F/S)
22 Josh Bootsma
23 Murray Newman
24 Henry Schade
25 Sebastian Ross
26 Todd Elton

Now, out of all them, I am glad we took Sheridan. Obviously he hasn't been great this year but has shown more promise than those listed.

Would agree with that with exception of Tom Mitchell who goes alright at the Swans
He was a F/S though, which meant we had no access to him
Imagine if we had a recruiter, that put a focus on recruiting talented big men, rather than highly skilled flankers. Our first round picks could of looked like this:

2006: Kurt Tippett (taken the pick after Collard)
2007: Lachie Henderson (taken after Palmer)
2008: Michael Hurley (although Hill was a good get at 3)
2009: John Butcher or Michael Talia (Butcher would of been the more likely pick, bust)
2010: Jack Darling
2011: No KPP's of note available at our pick.
2012: Brodie Grundy (taken the next pick)
We can't say that they would develop the same as they ended up developing at their club. In 08 our best midfielder pretty much was Palmer. And if people think Mayne is a shocking kick, they need to recall Butcher's efforts last year. Tippett would have left, and Grundy was threatening to do likewise.

Don't really want to get into this again but there was a recent article about GWS drafting on the AFL website.

The point made was that GWS have not drafted very well really but with 50 first round picks in the time we have had three they have still managed to hang onto about 25 of them not counting academy picks. Our success rate depends on if you count our poor run with injuries (Mora, Pitt, Apeness) to our first picks but is about the same if not better since we have had better success with later picks.

That reflects a statistical analysis I did a while back that is a bit out of date now (last data was 2012 and went back to 2000) that showed that roughly 55% odd of first round draft picks across the league make it to being what you'd call at least 'serviceable players' i.e. they'll play roughly dozen games a season.

BTW, the stats for 2nd round and lower were roughly 1 in 3 'make it' as at least 'serviceable players'.

NB. They are very crude numbers. Can't be bothered with a big post and looking up the details. One day I'll update my little statistical analysis and post it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back