Fitzroy's crappest player

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Dundas might have been the other one. I reckon Ross Oakley must have cast a spell over Jeff Hogg before he got to us.

I've got a good one to add, Gavin Excell from Geelong in the mid 90s. Was a good forward at the cats. And was pathetic once he got to the Roys.
Remeber the "Lombard" cardboard cut out of Jeff hogg that came out before he came to the Roys? Wot a waste of cardboard, it still remains as a souvenir, surely there were better duds than jeff?

Remeber the "Lombard" cardboard cut out of Jeff hogg that came out before he came to the Roys? Wot a waste of cardboard, it still remains as a souvenir, surely there were better duds than jeff?
I think it may have played a few games for us from 1994-96. Yes, it was a waste of cardboard.

wait a minute....

you mean to say that WASNT the cardboard cut out of jeff hogg that ran around in a fitzroy jumper for a couple of years? could have fooled me....

Re: Fitzroy's crappiest player

Some of you blokes are on the money and some have no idea. Peter Francis was a premiership player at Carlton and I can remember a day at the Junction oval in 82 when he completely destroyed Hawthorn and got a sunscore of 10 from old Jack Dunn. Geoff Everett was used as a tagger by Wallsy and in 82 cleaned up some big names namely Leigh Matthews at the Junction where he was awarded 3 Brownlow votes. Michael Coates had a good year on the wing one year and if anything his old man George was too hard on him. Tim Rendell was badly injured so should not be included. I'm going to throw in a name I have not seen mentioned. When Bill stephen coached in 80 a bloke called Mickey Gilmore played 1 senior game but goes down in Fitzroy folklore for incurring the coaches wrath when he was on the pine in the twos and ate a hot dog.

I love the storey about Doug Nicholls. He transferred from Carlton to Fitzroy. Come the first practice match Doug, of aboriginal descent, was changing all by himself opposite the Fitzroy players pavillion at Brunswick street as he had to do a Carlton. Hayden Bunton saw what he was doing and summoned all the players and they walked over and joined him. Now that's class. Nothing to do with the thread but a good storey anyway, by the way Doug became govenor General of S.A.

I am not a Roys fan and rarely come on to the forums but that story is a gem.

Thanks for sharing this. :thumbsu:

Graeme Allan played very well for us. Didn't play as well at collingwood

I think we need to set up a "Fitzroy's Crappiest Team Of The Century".

F: __________ Jeff Hogg ________
HF:__________ ________ ________
C: John Rantall _________ John Cassin
HB:________ __________ ________
FB: ________ __________ _______

Fol: Len Thompson ________ _______
I/C:______ ________ ______ ________

Coach: _________

Fill em up.....

u may want to extend the interchange by about a dozen ...

No mention for Allan Sidebottom yet...or Justin McGrath.

Sidebottom bombed at Geelong. He tried to point out to Sam why that was on the Footy Show one night, but he seemed to struggle to express himself.

Was reinvigorated at the Roys and was part of a pretty potent forward line.

Hogg was the deserved lead in to this thread. Bloody awful. He couldnt bend his back apparently at the end of his career.

Got ya Sidebottoms mixed up there, that was Gary that was good at the Roys. David Rankin was ok when he went to East Perth, guess the Lions would have been collecting a lease fee from them so they got something out of him in the end.

Got ya Sidebottoms mixed up there, that was Gary that was good at the Roys. David Rankin was ok when he went to East Perth, guess the Lions would have been collecting a lease fee from them so they got something out of him in the end.

I did indeed.

I guess when you see a name like Sidebottom you dont think to look at the firstname to see which one it is. Cant even remember the other one.

I guess overall the Roys picked up alot of blokes who had played thier careers and were broken in body when picked up.

From Len Thompson to Jeff Hogg. It must have been gut wrenching at times when they had to release players of quality that they had developed through thier U19s to make the books balance and take on hacks to try and replace the quality.

Robert Walls has spoken of the huge disadvantage the Lions had against the Cheque book clubs like Carlton in the eighties. I admired them as a football club.

Yeah, and that 83/84 team was untouchable at times, Sidey, Wilson, Superboot, Micky(biggest arms in the game then) Rendell, geez footy ruled then!!!

Some of the guys mentioned in this thread might have been dud players, but they were also good blokes.

David O'Connell saw me in Richmond one lunchtime & yelled "G'Day" across the street to me, because he recognised me as a Roys supporter Aren't the supporters supposed to yell "G'Day" to the players???

I was walking along Royal Parade, after a match at the oval, formerly known as Princes Park, when Danny Sexton drove past & offered me a lift in his beat-up old Cortina.

Hey Fat Pizza by the time O'Connell played just about all the Fitzroy players were treated like spectators by the opposition clubs so he thought he was just saying hi to another footy fan as for Sexton picking you up are you sure he owned the car he was driving or was it stolen :rolleyes: .......................... lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is a beauty!!! Ok here is my Top 10 Draft of Fitzroy's "Crappest" player's. I don't like that term, however I'll run with it.

1. Wayne Lamb - Has there ever been a worst player to grace a VFL/AFL ground ? The guy had no skills whatsoever. Very quick though.

2. Tony Spassopoulos - This "Boris Becker" look-a-like played 1 game against Sydney in 1985. Disappeared quickly off the scene. Can't remember who good or bad he actually was.

3. Dean Lupson - Luppy was a shocker. He was a rugged buggar though. I'll never forget a game in 1989 against Richmond at the "G" when Luppy & The Doc had matching "Bowl Cut" haircuts. It was hilarious!

4. Andrew Cavedon - Probably a very nice bloke, who should never have played for Bundoora, let alone Carlton & Fitzroy. He couldn't kick, couldn't mark, couldn't do anything really. He was very skinny too. He was the real "Scott Muller" of the footy world. Actually I think he is too low in this draft. I reckon he might go at 1 or 2.

5. Brad Davis - Another ruckman who we perservered with. The big No 10 just never showed anything. I cursed when I saw Davis & Dizzy Dave O'Connell line up against Stynes & O'Dwyer in Rd 2 1991. We were massacred by 131 points that day. Rendell & Ironmonger were in the Magoos that day too.

6. Brad Edwards - Yet another ruckman. No 10 too as well I think. The best thing this bloke did, was to take out Greg Healy & Dale Weightman in successive weeks of the pre-seasom comp. I remember a game in 1989 against Footscray at the Western Oval. We lost by a point. Edwards was played at CHF all day & he stuffed everything up! As I walked around the crowd, I bumped into Alastair Lynch. He had been dropped to the Magoos that day!!!

7. John Blair - Came from Sth Melbourne in 1978. Looked like a footballer, tough & solid, was just out of his depth.

8. Peter Brown - No 18, winger. Had pace, yet again was out of his depth.

9. Jamie Bond - Why did we pick him up from the Hawks in 1991. Played 1 game. Was one of the worst recruits.

10. Mick Dwyer - Fair dinkum!!! I had just arrived back in Australia from the U.S on draft day. My first question to my Fitzroy mate was, "who did we pick up" ? I nearly jumped back on the plane when he said Dwyer from St Kilda. 10 years at St Kilda, for 80 odd games. Had no pace, no skills & no hair.

Honourable mentions. Matthew "I don't want to play for Fitzroy" Bourke, Darren Holmes, Frank Bizzotto, Ashley Matthews & Nick Beardsley.

Darren Wilkinson

Hey Fat Pizza by the time O'Connell played just about all the Fitzroy players were treated like spectators by the opposition clubs so he thought he was just saying hi to another footy fan as for Sexton picking you up are you sure he owned the car he was driving or was it stolen :rolleyes: .......................... lol

No, hes not from Alberton, he actually bought the car.

frank marchersani(might be incorrect spelling)
he looked good but was weak as water.

He was a good player...in fact I reckon he was the best thing to come out of a pretty crappy 1980 season...

We got a super dud in return for him - Peter Francis - probably the scaredest footballer I have ever seen - a disgrace to the number 7!!!

Marchesani was a gun player in his one season for Fitzroy, but I'd have to say Fitzroy got a hell of a lot more value from Peter Francis than Carlton got from Marchesani.

Marchesani was a gun player in his one season for Fitzroy, but I'd have to say Fitzroy got a hell of a lot more value from Peter Francis than Carlton got from Marchesani.
Would have liked to remember this bloke playing for the Roys, but was a bit young. A cousin of mine and a reason that I followed Fitzroy instead of Collingwood, still bares the pain of loosing Marcesani to Carlton all those years ago, aparently could have been anything.
One player that I haven't seen mentioned as a good player for us in the past was #24 Bobby Beecroft, became a common household name during his time, but back to the crap players, once again and hate to harp on it but Jeff Hogg, what a stuff up, aparently we got him because he could organise a good "Footy Trip", certainly struggled on the field.

Didn't Michael Roberts play for us or was he that bad we forgot all about him, Kalev Vann couple of games mid seventies, then back to Preston
John Newton, Berts nephew, only got a game 'cause he could mark didn't do anything else, except go to the Disco at the Junction.

Peter Sartori, more disappointing than crappy. Saw him dominate a few games then faded out-injury?

ronnie biggs son, Michael ..... was pumped to be the next big thing but must have fled to rio to be with dad.

max george, renato serafini, dean farnham, even mick dwyer went off the boil-not the ex saint, no 58 who burst on the scene in 86 and cost Roosy the brownlow...........ah the memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back