Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very well placed at this stage.

Was thinking about our depth before I dozed off Friday night with Sav Stevens Dahl and Clark and maybe Nakia all waiting when needed.

When I woke Saturday morning it dawned on me I hadn't even considered the chance that possibly the greatest of all time may be back.

That to me is a very good sign!

Not sure about the flag result yet.. but anytime you have players pushing for selection and knocking others out of the 22 - or in this seasons case coming in and replacing them for rotational needs and holding their own - the results are gonna push the team deep.
Deep enough - that depends on the day - but on current form we should go deep (I say this with 6 weeks to go before finals and a bye being speculated as well)

GO Catters

Be nice to add Tim Kelly to this 22....

It would but I honestly think Guthrie and Menegola wouldn't be playing this well if he was there so if we use the 3 R1 picks from TK well I think we may 'win' on the trade long term.

It would but I honestly think Guthrie and Menegola wouldn't be playing this well if he was there so if we use the 3 R1 picks from TK well I think we may 'win' on the trade long term.

Hoping this has shades of 2011, the year after Ablett left.

Menegola has definitely gone to another level. Guthrie now seeing consistency in his performances.

Time will tell on whether we win on the trade or not though if we win the flag this year then we’ve probably already “won”.

In the question defining the success of THIS year ... I have bias toward seeing young fresh talent come in and see their enthusiasm, less structured style and more about hope and future ... but this year advancement of Menegola and Guthrie , the sliding of Dangerfield to the left slightly , less reliance on Joel are all good signs that this year could be presented as Big picture success. Our kids look Ok and we have picks coming the club still looks at the right end of the ladder The winning of games while no enjoying our home ground advantage and while in a hub should not be discounted either.

Having said that, its all getting , year by year to a point where certain players need a career defining achievement or risk finishing with the hollow feel of an empty Premiership stomach. Ask those guys in the 80's and the 90's what its like to be excellent players but to miss out. If they were honest they would say their playing career feels like a piece is missing. Fair or not , the lack of GF's and GF success define players coaches and clubs.

If Scott could win another flag , his rating as a AFL coach would be elevated in someway to go close to match the likes of Clarkson. His numbers thru the H&A put AC in the shade, what CS lacks are the pointy end wins. The list is almost at a point where every player has been brought in under his tenure ... and to be playing so well , even after the loss of Kelly would not have been expected by many in the media..

yet... we may yet get a rough end of the Pineapple deal...which is not what you need when you are almost backed into the corner. If we are good enough and lucky enough to get to a GF ..and we find its in WA against West Coast or Port in Adelaide.... we may face the most biased one side GF crowd in memory. I guess ones doesn't ever get every thing running ones own way. We will see how the season pans out. The recent accolades for Geelong have me concerned. Accolades in August a quickly forgotten and only serve to hold one up higher and make it easier to push off a pedestal.

Id probably say that if we have all our best players available, and we play finals in qld ..a purely neutral venue... IF we then dont make a GF .. then the season will have fallen short of our potential , going on current form.

Six on the trot and one win away from another top 4 finish. 2nd favourite for the premiership with tigers at our mercy. Beat the tigers and they could miss top 4! No MCG finals , a healthy list and a very experienced outfit that’s 3/3 at the Gabba this year.
Can’t go six top 4 finishes and not make a GF. That’s a disaster.
We have to tick off the bye and finals. Nice little audit against tigers in round 17. Gotta win it now cats!
Win the next 5 and bring home the cup! It definitely is flag or flop time! Don’t get all jittery players and fans- it’s ours for the taking!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back