Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Liverpool fans acting like absolute morons before the game. It’s obviously not limited to Liverpool, Leeds fans are shockers too, but what is it about English dickheads going overseas and having zero respect for the cities they go to?
Fans or fan? Are you just talking about that one guy who pushed someone into a fountain and was quickly and roundly condemned by club and fans, or were there other incidents?

Tough loss to take for Liverpool.

It was a 50/50 game in general play and chances created so they'll rightly feel a 3-0 is a harsh result.

Barca just took all of their chances ruthlessly. First goal was simple but perfectly created and taken, second was a bit chaotic but Messi remained the calmest man in the stadium and didn't snatch at the chance and the third was a wonder strike from the best player in the world.

It can be a very cruel game and Messi and Barca look like a man and team on a mission to get the Champion's League this year. In this form, no one will be stopping them.

Last edited:

It was a 50/50 game in general play and chances created so they'll rightly feel a 3-0 is a harsh result.

Barca just took all of their chances ruthlessly. First goal was simple but perfectly created and taken, second was a bit chaotic but Messi remained the calmest man in the stadium and didn't snatch at the chance and the third was a wonder strike from the best player in the world.

It can be a very cruel game and Messi and Barca look like a man and tam on a mission to get the Champion's League this year. In this form, no one will be stopping them.
Mofo was dead set walking around for 85% of the match, like some god among mortals who couldn't be bothered with their trifling struggles except when it interested him. I've seen folks work harder on a golf course.

Mofo was dead set walking around for 85% of the match, like some god among mortals who couldn't be bothered with their trifling struggles except when it interested him. I've seen folks work harder on a golf course.

REALLY? “Mofo”? perhaps we didn’t see the same game mate? I’ve yet to see Virgil break into a sweat, as he seems to stroll around at the heart of Liverpool’s defence.......shows how good both players are at reading the game! For instance, when the shot from Luis Suarez hit the bar..... Messi was on to the rebound like lightning! Virgil was made to look positively pedestrian as the little maestro swooped!

Last edited:

It can be a very cruel game and Messi and Barca look like a man and team on a mission to get the Champion's League this year. In this form, no one will be stopping them.

A fair minded and accurate assessment there Colleague. It was a bad time for Mo Salah to hit the post, rather than bury that chance. Liverpool were far from shamed and played their full part in providing folk like myself with a fine game. Messi is a player who can win a game in a heartbeat.

Mr Sooky didnt do much in the first half apart from whinge to the ref . His first goal was luck as it came off the post and went straight to him . But the second was an amazing strike from a free kick . You have know right to score from that distance with a world top goal keeper not get anywhere near saving it . One of the best goals from a kick like that i have seen . Mo certainately should have scored but hit the post . Mane should have at least made the keeper make a save but blew it well over . Then both Milner and Mo had shots turned away by great goal keeping that both on another day might have scored .
Really apart from their 3 goals i dont think our keeper had to make many other saves , but they took their chances . They deserved to win for that reason .

Don’t Panic !!

Mr Sooky didnt do much in the first half apart from whinge to the ref . His first goal was luck as it came off the post and went straight to him . But the second was an amazing strike from a free kick . You have know right to score from that distance with a world top goal keeper not get anywhere near saving it . One of the best goals from a kick like that i have seen . Mo certainately should have scored but hit the post . Mane should have at least made the keeper make a save but blew it well over . Then both Milner and Mo had shots turned away by great goal keeping that both on another day might have scored .
Really apart from their 3 goals i dont think our keeper had to make many other saves , but they took their chances . They deserved to win for that reason .

Don’t Panic !!

I know that the disappointment of that result is still fresh, and will naturally colour your views on Messi’s role in the match, that’s understandable, I’ve been there myself mate. However I agree to disagree with you regarding his first goal being “lucky”. Watch the highlights again and see just how Messi read the play.... Virgil and Matip (I think it was) were left standing as Messi swooped on that chance!
You’re spot on about Liverpool’s chances not being taken. Could well have been 3:2 or 3:3 it was that sort of game. I would not be prepared to write off the chances of the Reds getting right back into it with a couple of early goals at Fortress Anfield.

I’ve watched the highlights of the game again today. On second viewing one has to question how it was that Luis Suarez was able to run between Virgil and Matip for that first goal?? The marking was non-existent.

I’ve watched the highlights of the game again today. On second viewing one has to question how it was that Luis Suarez was able to run between Virgil and Matip for that first goal?? The marking was non-existent.

Totally agree with you about the first goal . It wasnt the first time that their players were able to run through like that but previously the passes werent great . That time it was spot on , Liverpool defenders got caught ball watching a few times .

Don’t Panic !!

Totally agree with you about the first goal . It wasnt the first time that their players were able to run through like that but previously the passes werent great . That time it was spot on , Liverpool defenders got caught ball watching a few times .

Don’t Panic !!

I can’t see Herr Klopp letting the defence get away with play like that and I honestly think that overcoming even a three goal deficit isn’t beyond this Liverpool side, especially on their own midden!

Relief , Liverpool win 3-2 over Newcastle
Bournemouth defeat Spurs 1-0
Everton defeat Burnley 2-0
West Ham defeat Southampton 3-0
Wolves defeat Fulham 1-0
Palace defeat Cardiff 3-2

Liverpool 37297187:2294

2.Manchester City 36302490:2292

3.Tottenham372311365:3770

4.Chelsea36208860:3968

5.Arsenal362061069:4966

6.Manchester Utd36198964:5165

7.Wolves371691247:4457

8.Everton371581452:4453

9.Leicester361561551:4751

10.Watford361481451:5250

11.West Ham371471648:5449

12.Crystal Palace371371746:5046

13.Bournemouth371361853:6545

14.Newcastle371191738:4842

15.Burnley371171944:6540

16.Southampton379111744:6438

17.Brighton36981933:5535

18.Cardiff 37942432:6931

19.Fulham 37752534:7726

20.Huddersfield 36352820:7414

This season has been Messi's best, hell possibly the best form from a footballer ever.

In Messi's first five seasons for Barca he scored 80 goals from 161 games. A goal every two games is a great average for a striker.

Since then he's scored 520 goals in 522 games. It's just an ridiculous set of numbers.

Even more ridiculous was C Ronaldo's 450 in 438 games for Real. Unbelievable to be watching football in the time the two of them are running around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Messi's first five seasons for Barca he scored 80 goals from 161 games. A goal every two games is a great average for a striker.

Since then he's scored 520 goals in 522 games. It's just an ridiculous set of numbers.

Even more ridiculous was C Ronaldo's 450 in 438 games for Real. Unbelievable to be watching football in the time the two of them are running around.

wow . didnt realise they scored that many . Will have to rethink my thoughts about Mr Sooky

Relief , Liverpool win 3-2 over Newcastle
Bournemouth defeat Spurs 1-0
Everton defeat Burnley 2-0
West Ham defeat Southampton 3-0
Wolves defeat Fulham 1-0
Palace defeat Cardiff 3-2

Liverpool 37297187:2294

2.Manchester City 36302490:2292

3.Tottenham372311365:3770

4.Chelsea36208860:3968

5.Arsenal362061069:4966

6.Manchester Utd36198964:5165

7.Wolves371691247:4457

8.Everton371581452:4453

9.Leicester361561551:4751

10.Watford361481451:5250

11.West Ham371471648:5449

12.Crystal Palace371371746:5046

13.Bournemouth371361853:6545

14.Newcastle371191738:4842

15.Burnley371171944:6540

16.Southampton379111744:6438

17.Brighton36981933:5535

18.Cardiff 37942432:6931

19.Fulham 37752534:7726

20.Huddersfield 36352820:7414
Sure you and the other Liverpool fans were nervous there BT. Left it late.

Now over to the Etihad in Monday night.... not sure my heart can handle this race for much longer.

Nice to get the win but chances of beating Barca close to zero now with Firmino and Salah out.

I would think that winning the CL is now a “lower priority” for Herr Klopp. The EPL title is THE prize, and it’s within touching distance. LFC will probably “manage” a few players for the second leg.

Sure you and the other Liverpool fans were nervous there BT. Left it late.

Now over to the Etihad in Monday night.... not sure my heart can handle this race for much longer.

I know , what a race , has been exciting though , whoever wins .

Don’t Panic !!

Nice to get the win but chances of beating Barca close to zero now with Firmino and Salah out.

I dont think they will play , maybe if we were level or leading after first game , but cant see us coming back from 3-0 down against Barca . Just stopping them scoring is hard enough with their talent up forward .

Don’t Panic !!

How huge is tomorrow mornings game between Man City and Leicester . Will it be huge for Man City or Liverpool ? Of course there is still the final round to go too so any thing could still change .
Man U and Arsenal blew their chance to put more pressure on Spurs . Bad round to draw especially Man U too only draw to the bottom side .

Don’t Panic !!

Absolutely massive game tomorrow morning but even if City do drop points, Liverpool will have to earn it against Wolves on the last day. Very good side who can beat just about any English side at their best.

Joke of a season finally nearing the end for United, so disappointing to miss UCL next season given how well we started under Ole, it's all fallen apart since that win at PSG ironically. Club needs a massive overhaul starting at board level, suspect there will be at least 5-6 senior players who have played their last games. Will take years to turn the club around but no doubts that Ole with the support of Phelan and Carrick are the right ones to lead us going forward.

Hope Ajax can continue their dream run and win the Champions League, absolutely incredible stuff from them.

Good to see Leeds bottle it as well, had their best chance at automatic promotion since they've been in the Championship. Don't think they get back up now, my tip is West Brom. Derby a sneaky outside chance.

Off to bed, setting the alarm for 4:45am so I can tune into what is the most important game of the season. Would I would do for a draw...c'mon Leicester!

Half time 0-0.

Leicester been under the pump all half, and a near chance came off the post and Schmeichel saved it unbelievably.

Again I doubt Leicester will hold City goalless, so a goal in the second half would be immense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back