Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW! Man Utd out of the League Cup, bundled out in a penalty shoot out by (mighty?) Derby County. Challenging times for “The Special One”.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great news for fans of football through out the world lol.

Go Saints

The lack of success in the league by Newcastle United - only FOUR championships (1905, 1907, 1909, 1927) baffles me considering the massive (and passionate ) levels of support of the club......and being the only club in that city to boot. It’s a similar story in cup competitions.... the last FA Cup was won in 1955, and the old “Fairs Cup” was lifted in 1969. In every respect (other than winning trophies) Newcastle United are a MASSIVE club.... one only has to look at their magnificent stadium for confirmation of that.
I’ve always had a soft spot for “The Toon” and spent many a happy half hour getting into the “Newkie Brown” (and dodging flying pint glasses and bottles )at the “Magpie” pub near the old St James Park, back in the late sixties.
As I say, an absolute mystery.

I think the further north you go in England, the less likely a silky Brazilian or Iberian technician is going to want to live there, so you're less likely to get the real cream in the team. For the snood and glove wearers, Manchester and Liverpool are the limit, latitudinally speaking. It's not just the weather, it's the accompanying culture.

But I agree when you think about what powerhouses clubs like Newcastle and Leeds were, how they were allowed to sink like they have is scary. I like both clubs even when Viduka and Kewell and the gang at Leeds were regularly spoiling Liverpool, there was something about the club I liked.

But what seems like permanence is really just transient, all of us skating across a canyon on soap bubbles thinking we're on solid ground. I remember in the days of Hicks and Gillette and Roy Hodgson at LFC, more that a few Reds fans contemplated a similar fate, and now look at the club. Can you believe there are still some LFC fans who aren't satisfied with FSG? Maybe few and far between right now, or at least keeping their powder dry for the inevitable downturn ;-)

WOW! Man Utd out of the League Cup, bundled out in a penalty shoot out by (mighty?) Derby County. Challenging times for “The Special One”.

No way that mug makes it through the season. Frankly I can't wait to see the back of him and his irritating pantomime. The British media love their Mr Punch though, so even when he is just nothing but old bones and piss and vinegar and probably working for the richest club in China, they'll still be sfellowing about his every utterance. Meanwhile I personally hope the post-Fergie Utd hiring trend continues, but they are probably due some luck. (Screw that; they had plenty in the last 20 years)

Jürgen Klopp takes on Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri for the first time on Wednesday night, with Liverpool seeking to gain the upper hand in the clubs' head-to-head record in the League Cup.

The Reds and the Blues are locked together on three wins apiece, plus one draw, in previous meetings heading into the third-round clash at Anfield.

The last time the clubs met on Merseyside in a one-legged League Cup tie was at the same stage of the competition in November 2000, when Liverpool won 2-1 with goals from Danny Murphy and Robbie Fowler.

Gerard Houllier's team went on to beat Birmingham City on penalties in the final.

For more need-to-know pre-match facts and figures, courtesy of club statistician Ged Rea, read on...

The Reds have won two and drawn one of their three clashes with Chelsea at Anfield in this competition.

Liverpool's last success against the Londoners in a League Cup fixture came in 2011 when Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Kelly scored in a 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge.

Only two of the sides' 87 meetings at Anfield in all competitions have finished goalless - a league clash in 1971 and a Champions League group game in 2005.

Go Saints

Jürgen Klopp takes on Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri for the first time on Wednesday night, with Liverpool seeking to gain the upper hand in the clubs' head-to-head record in the League Cup.

The Reds and the Blues are locked together on three wins apiece, plus one draw, in previous meetings heading into the third-round clash at Anfield.

The last time the clubs met on Merseyside in a one-legged League Cup tie was at the same stage of the competition in November 2000, when Liverpool won 2-1 with goals from Danny Murphy and Robbie Fowler.

Gerard Houllier's team went on to beat Birmingham City on penalties in the final.

For more need-to-know pre-match facts and figures, courtesy of club statistician Ged Rea, read on...

The Reds have won two and drawn one of their three clashes with Chelsea at Anfield in this competition.

Liverpool's last success against the Londoners in a League Cup fixture came in 2011 when Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Kelly scored in a 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge.

Only two of the sides' 87 meetings at Anfield in all competitions have finished goalless - a league clash in 1971 and a Champions League group game in 2005.

Go Saints

Should be a fascinating clash.... in spite of the real possibility of both clubs fielding virtual reserves sides.

I think the further north you go in England, the less likely a silky Brazilian or Iberian technician is going to want to live there, so you're less likely to get the real cream in the team. For the snood and glove wearers, Manchester and Liverpool are the limit, latitudinally speaking. It's not just the weather, it's the accompanying culture.

But I agree when you think about what powerhouses clubs like Newcastle and Leeds were, how they were allowed to sink like they have is scary. I like both clubs even when Viduka and Kewell and the gang at Leeds were regularly spoiling Liverpool, there was something about the club I liked.

But what seems like permanence is really just transient, all of us skating across a canyon on soap bubbles thinking we're on solid ground. I remember in the days of Hicks and Gillette and Roy Hodgson at LFC, more that a few Reds fans contemplated a similar fate, and now look at the club. Can you believe there are still some LFC fans who aren't satisfied with FSG? Maybe few and far between right now, or at least keeping their powder dry for the inevitable downturn ;-)

Leeds United were pretty much an irrelevance prior to the Don Revie era. They became something of a powerhouse in the sixties and seventies but ( except for an Eric Cantona- inspired premiership in ‘92) have returned to the mediocrity that went before.

Newcastle United are a mystery to me..... in the nineties they possessed players like Ginola and Shearer. Asprilla the Colombian as another wonderful player.... how on earth they haven’t won more silverware is just beyond me.

Great news for fans of football through out the world lol.

Go Saints
Now that's not nice!
Liverpool banter/vitriol directed at Manchester United { The most successful club in english history }
Seems to be perfectly ok! Hmmmm?
The jealousy directed at humble United over the years resembles the banter i spoke of earlier!

Typical double standards from the ladies at Anfield!
And of all the people to stab us in the BACK when we are down...It's you BT!...;)
My fellow raver in the Disco! No more massaging your back when your down my friend!.....:p

Now that's not nice!
Liverpool banter/vitriol directed at Manchester United { The most successful club in english history }
The jealousy directed at humble United over the years resembles the banter i spoke of earlier!

And of all the people to stab us in the BACK when we are down...It's you BT!...;)
My fellow raver in the Disco! No more massaging your back when your down my friend!.....:p

WOW!

Now that's not nice!

Lol, sorry mate . I have memories of a mad ManU supporter where I worked for 17years and I think I lost every bet of slabs of beer every year because ManU kept beating us lol.

Go Saints

Mums side of the family come from Southampton which is how I ended up as a StKilda supporter. They migrated in 1970 and my grandpa saw there was a VFL team called the Saints and picked them because they were the same name as the soccer team he followed. Poor bloke been following both teams ever since and seen very little success. Makes me wonder some times why I decided to follow both Saints teams.
Yes, i suffer from that dual affliction also....least there were the days of plugger and le god!

What's all this then?

Can you feel the love tonight!......
Doubt very much that's what's on their minds!

What's more disturbing for us is that between these 2 ego maniacal driven posers
they are bringing down the magnificent institution that was Man United!

Mores the pity that Fergie is not well at the moment cause between those two
primadonna's and the CEO whose focus seems to be purely commercial
and not football driven at all...We are in a mess!....:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jürgen Klopp felt Liverpool were unlucky to lose their Carabao Cup clash with Chelsea after being stung by a late comeback at Anfield.

The Reds grew into the third-round tie and merited the lead they gained through Daniel Sturridge’s emphatic volley in front of the Kop just shy of the hour mark.

But the Blues levelled via Emerson’s rebound and the visitors sealed a turnaround that eliminated Klopp’s side from the competition when Eden Hazard slammed in a winner with five minutes to go.

Damn , lost to Chelsea

Go Saints

Not worried about that loss, bigger game is against them on Sunday morning in the league. Our schedule opens up a tad with the elimination too which is good - all eyes on the prize and IMO the English cup ain't one of them!

Not worried about that loss, bigger game is against them on Sunday morning in the league. Our schedule opens up a tad with the elimination too which is good - all eyes on the prize and IMO the English cup ain't one of them!

Sensible way to look at it Colleague. Although Shanks would take the view that a side wants to win EVERY competition it enters. But I see your point.

Last edited:
While it’s not necessarily the end of the world for LFC to end it’s interest in the League Cup. The fact that they gave up a lead (and also against PSG) at “Fortress Anfield” would give Juergen Klopp cause for concern. (In my humble opinion)

Yes they should be very concerned Jiggster!
Not like United who have nothing to worry about after giving up a lead at home to......
DERBY COUNTY!
Nothing to see here. All good.....;)

Leeds United were pretty much an irrelevance prior to the Don Revie era. They became something of a powerhouse in the sixties and seventies but ( except for an Eric Cantona- inspired premiership in ‘92) have returned to the mediocrity that went before.

Newcastle United are a mystery to me..... in the nineties they possessed players like Ginola and Shearer. Asprilla the Colombian as another wonderful player.... how on earth they haven’t won more silverware is just beyond me.

Reverence with out having to provide results sounds very St Kilda. They always had individual brilliance but always seemed to lose a good player at a bad time or over pay for a dumb transfer. I remember having Andy Cole coming through and he transferred to MU just when we looked like going somewhere. Just have fans that put up with mediocre performances in short.

Can you feel the love tonight!......
Doubt very much that's what's on their minds!

What's more disturbing for us is that between these 2 ego maniacal driven posers
they are bringing down the magnificent institution that was Man United!

Mores the pity that Fergie is not well at the moment cause between those two
primadonna's and the CEO whose focus seems to be purely commercial
and not football driven at all...We are in a mess!....:(
Bad times in the red side of Manchester, mate. There's more intrigue than a Shakespeare play at Old Trafford just now. The squad is riven with division; the fans are unhappy with the football being played; nobody seems to be taking the bull by the horns and sorting it out. I was the Derby match in the League Cup and it was horrific. Things are getting worrying now; nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes. Does all this sound familiar to Saints fans?

This needs to be nipped in the bud immediately, as it feels like we are only a couple of bad results away from meltdown. It looks inevitable that either Mourinho or Pogba will be gone soon. Who knows, perhaps both will be away! Bad times.

Bad times in the red side of Manchester, mate. There's more intrigue than a Shakespeare play at Old Trafford just now. The squad is riven with division; the fans are unhappy with the football being played; nobody seems to be taking the bull by the horns and sorting it out. I was the Derby match in the League Cup and it was horrific. Things are getting worrying now; nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes. Does all this sound familiar to Saints fans?

This needs to be nipped in the bud immediately, as it feels like we are only a couple of bad results away from meltdown. It looks inevitable that either Mourinho or Pogba will be gone soon. Who knows, perhaps both will be away! Bad times.

Utd are horrendous to watch at the moment.

Hardly any movement off the ball. Like the team isn’t trying.

Agree with you RE Pogba or Mourinho going. Wonder how many of the players would want to leave if Pogba was sold though.

This is as bad as it gets!
After all my gloating about Collingwood
I'm feeling a sense of dirty karma by the sporting gods!

BTW How the F#ck did that not go in by Fellaini!

Reckon we may just have seen the last of Pogba { hope i'm wrong }
With the jeers he just got being subbed!

Edit immediately we pull one back!
Come on United!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back