Footy Grammar update - bias, shot on goals, etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

And on that note let me share my PET PEEVE. "Impordant" For Gods sake is it so hard to say "Important".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One that gives the the screamers is people saying "the proof is in the pudding." This makes absolutely no sense!

The actual saying is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating." Now this does make sense, in that no matter how good something looks, until you taste it you can't be sure.

The person who said that is no rocket surgeon.

why on or at, why not for?

Exactly.

- Shot at goal. Absolutely.
- Shot for goal. Absolutely.
- Shot on goal - Should be punishable by death (as should putting a microphone in front of Dwayne Russell or James Brayshaw).

There's a fun game to engage in with people who say it doesn't really matter. Deliberately mispronounce their name. Watch how fast it does.

Au contraire, mixed metaphors are fantastic.
Or have I opened up a Pandora’s box of worms?

I think the great philosopher Sir Desmond Glazebrook summed this up rather eloquently:

"City's a funny place, you know, Prime Minister. If you spill the beans you open up a whole can of worms. I mean, how can you let sleeping dogs lie if you let the cat out of the bag? Bring in a new broom and if you're not very careful you find you've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. If you change horses in the middle of the stream, next thing you know you're up the creek without a paddle."

Let's burn that bridge when we come to it.

Was going to say it describes 2020 for Adelaide and McGuire, but it's everyone's 2020.

Present tenseism is everywhere, not just footy. Don't know why people can no longer describe past events with the past tense.

I've always thought of versin as ironic but there's always someone there to spoil things isn't there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back