Footy has a Mark Robinson problem

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a few people who worked in the media and they've insisted that Bolt isn't as extreme as he makes out. I always get laughed at when I tell people this ;(
I still can't decide whether I think that makes him worse or better.

Mark Robinson bullies Gerard at least once every episode of afl360. He's like a dog with a bone about how the mmm team is bunch of bullies then turns around and does the same thing. It's got to the point where I either switch off or fast forward when Mark Robinson is talking.

I read the hun / watch pay tv for their think pieces, and instead we're getting bombarded with low brow content by Robinson! It's a disgrace

Matthew Richardson should be in charge of all AFL media immediately with Nick Maxwell as his direct deputy. They pop up on the telly and I am just thrilled. Every time.

Mark Robinson bullies Gerard at least once every episode of afl360. He's like a dog with a bone about how the mmm team is bunch of bullies then turns around and does the same thing. It's got to the point where I either switch off or fast forward when Mark Robinson is talking.

Bully? A truely disturbing exaggeration.

Were you a nerdling like Gerard as a kid?

It's ok if you have bullying issues from childhood. It's ok.

Critics of the embarrassing Mark Robinson, of which i count myself as one, are pissing into the wind.

However "journalists" are rated internally these days, Robinson is winning on every level.

Employed across multiple highest end platforms. Watched, read and listened to by the masses.

And as of the other night, voted by the Journo's Association as the Outstanding Sports Journalist of the Year and The Alf Brown Award recipient.

The joke is on us. And the ultimate joke is on the profession of Journalism which can't be far away from completely ceding to citizen journalism.

This thread is a disgrace.

Robbo is a shining light of footy journalism and as such, has been rewarded appropriately.

Robbo gives hope and a voice to Everyman. Robbo is there for the tired and emotional. He is 'their' for the smirked at less than literate, and the less than articulate. He is 'there' voice.

Robbo is a thorn in the side of the intellectual footy snobs that pollute threads like this. And yeah I've noticed the likes of Rohan Connolly lurking and no doubt smirking.

In addition, Robbo has been Lazarus like in his recuperative powers recovering from dire addictions like infections and shingles to dominate footy journalism.

Robbo is a hero.

So to all youse PC, latte quaffing, Age reading intellectual snobs who remind me of a McLachlan family reunion.

Go and get stuffed.

We can have a lot of fun with wikipedia, if we can get an idea what piece he is writing next.

Has someone in this thread already edited his own Wikipedia article?

The short but sweet "Personal life" section is almost poetic in its ability to evoke feelings of loneliness and isolation.

"Born and raised in Bendigo, Robinson resides in Melbourne with his pet dog Tiger."

Has someone in this thread already edited his own Wikipedia article?

The short but sweet "Personal life" section is almost poetic in its ability to evoke feelings of loneliness and isolation.

"Born and raised in Bendigo, Robinson resides in Melbourne with his pet dog Tiger."

Well spotted, it was indeed written by one of the Cult of Robbo followers.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-cult-of-robbo-volume-2.927032/page-197

Brilliant start, jazzman. "Currently lives in Melbourne with his pet dog Tiger."

Last edited:
It makes me laugh whenever I read these "journalism is dying" prose pieces, as though it is a new phenomenon.

Since the printing press was invented various strands of the journalistic spectrum have been sensationalising issues and making stories where none existed, or spinning them with extreme bias. Look back at how many folk heroes were made out of robbers and bush rangers in the old west or in colonial Australia. The media had a part to play in that. Doubtless if sport was more in focus at that point, it would have been sensationalized too.

There's a great scene in the movie Phar Lap where a journo asks a Sydney newspaper editor what front pages he's got lined up after the Agua Caliente Handicap.

He says 'if he wins, 'Aussie wonder horse beats the world.'

'If he loses, Kiwi horse loses in America.'

Sums up what papers are all about, and you can transfer that to any other form of media now.

Ironically given that I knew I was leaving the sports journalism industry, I completed a post grad degree this year and the final assignment I wrote was about whether technology and the death of newspapers meant the death of quality journalism.

I took the angle that it won't - the Internet and live broadcasts and analysis will mean that there is more focus on simply getting a story or an issue into the spotlight, but if you look in the right places and have a bit of patience for the facts of a story to manifest themselves, quality journalism will always be around.

And I got my only ever HD for it :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bitter Essendon fan, Caroline Wilson is a far superior and intelligent journalist.

Bet if you asked her how the weekend of footy went - she wouldn't have a clue about the scores but would know all about the gossip. I can't respect that.

As I said at least Robinson genuinely cares about footy.

Last edited:
He is such an obvious alcoholic, I can't see him without being embarrassed and hoping someone gets him help. I feel so sorry for the players he interviews, they all look like I feel when a drunk uncle with terrible opinions corners you around the Christmas lunch table and wants to know a but about a life they absolutely have no capability of relating to.

Bet if you asked her how the weekend of footy went - she wouldn't have a clue about the scores but would know all about the gossip. I can't respect that.

As I said at least Robinson genuinely cares about footy.

When Caro is on offsiders she often gives a succinct run down of the weekend's games (so far), having clearly watched them.

If there is cash to be made who can really criticise him ...Do I watch him....yes but I nay watch the odd 360 episode these days

I can remember a day, not that long ago really, when actual journalists worked at both papers. Even though the HS was for simple people it still had articles that were coherent, if dumbed down a bit.

And on TV it was very much like watching the the abc news, with articulate commentators (e.g. Tim Lane) calling the game. Hell, even Eddie was an actual journalist. Mike Sheehan was even good before he became a sanctimonious know it all. The exception was of course guys like jack dyer and co, but they were more or less comedians rather than commentators and everyone knew it. That's why Sam Newman does not bother me because everyone knows the role he is playing.

It all started to go wrong when Rex Hunt started getting traction. All of a sudden you could be a buffoon and not only get away with it, you get put up on a pedestal as a "man of the people" and not only that, a serious commentator.

I am fairly confident that 50% of the (adult) posters on bigfooty could write better articles than Robertson, both from an English language standpoint and also a football insight one. The guy is a disgrace to the profession and in my opinion, incompetent.

I took the angle that it won't - the Internet and live broadcasts and analysis will mean that there is more focus on simply getting a story or an issue into the spotlight, but if you look in the right places and have a bit of patience for the facts of a story to manifest themselves, quality journalism will always be around.

Biggest issue here is that with the advent of the internet/social media, fewer people have the patience you're talking about. Not only has the internet diluted the overall quality of journalism, but Joe Citizen probably doesn't care to look in the right places because of the sheer crap that is often typed.

Robbo is a somewhat different case. As much as he's maligned on here, he's cultivated an audience of garden-variety pub-goers because of his ability to reach out to them in as straightforward a manner as possible. The lack of big, scary, sophisticated words in his pieces reflects exactly what your average Herald Sun reader wants.

Biggest issue here is that with the advent of the internet/social media, fewer people have the patience you're talking about. Not only has the internet diluted the overall quality of journalism, but Joe Citizen probably doesn't care to look in the right places because of the sheer crap that is often typed.

Robbo is a somewhat different case. As much as he's maligned on here, he's cultivated an audience of garden-variety pub-goers because of his ability to reach out to them in as straightforward a manner as possible. The lack of big, scary, sophisticated words in his pieces reflects exactly what your average Herald Sun reader wants.

Robbo uses lots of big words.

Lots.

What a thread, a RoCo response and all.

On Robbo, people who waste words like he does usually have very little to say, and he is no exception.

Is he the worst? Hard to say, Hutchy in my opinion is at least as bad.

However, you guys read it, and journalists can only play what's in front of them.
Yep. Hutchy can * right off. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back