Footy Live app by Sportsmate Mobile

Remove this Banner Ad

Although not related to AFL, we know that many of you will be thrilled to hear that Sportsmate is currently developing an EPL app that will be released in time for the start of the 2012/13 season.

We'll post previews and info on our Facebook page and this new Twitter account when it comes to hand.

Best news! Now only NBL, NBA, NFL etc. to go :p only kidding but really that is fantastic! Hard to keep track when there is 5 games on at the same time.

Goooooooood morning folks!

The updated Android version is now available.

- Fantasy support has now been added (same as on iOS)
- Social media integration (scoreboard sharing, "Shout Outs" etc.)
- UI improvements (some subtle tweaks to improve the in-app experience)
- General bug fixes (isn't this mandatory to write in every update? :) but seriously... some nice small improvements are in)

You can download it from the Android Marketplace now (as well as updates to our other apps which are also live today)

First suggestion is that it would be great to double tap on the score worm and have it zoom from 4 quarters to 1st half or 2nd half. Double tap again and it zooms into a single quarter. Double tap a final time and return to all 4 quarters.

But if there's anything that gets up my goat about sports apps it's the implementation of the score worm. There seems to be an insistence that the 0 line or x-axis must run through the middle. Thus, North beats GWS by 139 and because North's y-axis goes up to 160, the same must apply for GWS. I can look at almost any score worm and suggest how it could be and should be improved. I'll just provide two examples. Many score worms only utilise 2/8 or 3/8 of the graph while most of it is wasted.

Let's look at the R2 North v GWS game and the R4 Blues v Bombers game:

vos9z7.png
2n2010l.png

I consider it lazy programming to just plop the x-axis in the middle rather than maximising the available screen real estate.

Calculation of the Score Worm axis unit
= CEILING((Team 1 max lead + Team 2 max lead)/8,5)

NMFC v GWS = CEILING((129 + 0)/8,5) = CEILING(16.1,5) = 20
CARL v ESS = CEILING((11 + 47)/8,5) = CEILING(7.3,5) = 10

In my opinion, the two graphs below are preferable to that offered by the Aussie Rules Live 2012 app:

5v9k3q.png
33o15ad.png

@red+black

A floating baseline takes much more visual interpretation time for the 'average user' rather than a symmetrical image. Also, when the game is incredibly one-sided, the worm loses significance. It's much more useful in a tight contest or when there are a number of lead changes.

We'll add it to our list of considerations for future updates however. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

First suggestion is that it would be great to double tap on the score worm and have it zoom from 4 quarters to 1st half or 2nd half. Double tap again and it zooms into a single quarter. Double tap a final time and return to all 4 quarters.

But if there's anything that gets up my goat about sports apps it's the implementation of the score worm. There seems to be an insistence that the 0 line or x-axis must run through the middle. Thus, North beats GWS by 139 and because North's y-axis goes up to 160, the same must apply for GWS. I can look at almost any score worm and suggest how it could be and should be improved. I'll just provide two examples. Many score worms only utilise 2/8 or 3/8 of the graph while most of it is wasted.

Let's look at the R2 North v GWS game and the R4 Blues v Bombers game:

vos9z7.png
2n2010l.png

I consider it lazy programming to just plop the x-axis in the middle rather than maximising the available screen real estate.

Calculation of the Score Worm axis unit
= CEILING((Team 1 max lead + Team 2 max lead)/8,5)

NMFC v GWS = CEILING((129 + 0)/8,5) = CEILING(16.1,5) = 20
CARL v ESS = CEILING((11 + 47)/8,5) = CEILING(7.3,5) = 10

In my opinion, the two graphs below are preferable to that offered by the Aussie Rules Live 2012 app:

5v9k3q.png
33o15ad.png

My opinion I don't like it

It's much more useful in a tight contest or when there are a number of lead changes.

So why for relatively close games do you not use more of the available screen real estate, that is, show more detail where you can? Take the Carlton v Essendon example, why is the y-axis grid lines in increments of 20 rather than 15?

There's a few games where the grid units could be smaller. Just a couple more examples: Rnd 5 MELB v STK - biggest margin was 18 yet the grid is +40 to -40 rather than +20 to -20. Rnd 5 COLL v ESS - same, max margin 18, grid is +40 to -40.

Is the objective to not extend into the very top and bottom eighth of the chart if it can be avoided? In your opinion, if you look at a few score worms, leaving the x-axis where it is at 0, do you believe that the best choice is being made with regards to the range of the y-axis?

Sportsmate is pleased to introduce you to “Companion Mode” (available now in the latest update for Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Super Rugby Live).

Simply tilt your phone to explore an all-new live match experience. Put your feet up and relax as up-to-the minute scores, stats and commentary of key match events flow seamlessly across your screen to ensure you remain on top of the action. A range of sound effects have also been introduced to indicate the start and end of periods, as well as when a goal or try is scored.

Also included in our latest update:

✔ Enhancements to chat function including live rooms added for each match
✔ The ability to seamlessly transition from pre-match to live match view
✔ General bug and UI fixes

9Om0S.png

Can we get a Last 5 tab added to the Ladder please? Maybe Brief, Extended, Last 5, Next 5. Five small squares as per Next 5 but each square is either Green (win), Red (loss), grey (draw) or white (bye). Can also add W, L or B, but even better would be the margin for each game.

Can we get a Last 5 tab added to the Ladder please? Maybe Brief, Extended, Last 5, Next 5. Five small squares as per Next 5 but each square is either Green (win), Red (loss), grey (draw) or white (bye). Can also add W, L or B, but even better would be the margin for each game.

Nice one (although this is available on each team's home screen). We'll handball that one across to the development guys for consideration nonetheless. Did you catch up with them at OMT?

Plenty of fantastic suggestions throughout this thread guys. We thank you for your feedback on how we can improve our range of apps. BF is just one of the places we receive insight from our users, but we also have a lot of incoming tweets and e-mails with various concepts and feedback.

To centralise this stream of ideas, we have just launched a 'Suggest A Feature' initiative whereby we encourage our users to hit us up with anything they'd like to see in our apps. It can be as simple or outrageous as you like - we'll decide whether it's feasible and go from there! Ultimately, we'll put the most popular and creative ideas to a poll/discussion and implement the most popular suggestions (and perhaps more).

As people rely on digital products more and more, their expectations increase and it’s an ongoing (but enjoyable!) challenge for developers like Sportsmate to continue setting the pace. We hope our open-minded approach, flexibility and interaction with our fans can help generate some fantastic ideas from our digital community that ultimately makes Australia's most popular sporting apps even better!

Click here for more info and the 'Suggestions' e-mail address

Why can't I expand text on your app on my Galaxy S2 without the need to use reading glasses! otherwise a slick app thanks

Nice one (although this is available on each team's home screen). We'll handball that one across to the development guys for consideration nonetheless.
Oh yeah, I don't tend to use the Teams tab so much, more so just check my own team on the My Team tab. I think a Next 5 tab would not look out of place on the Ladder tab.

Did you catch up with them at OMT?
I did not. It's hard to find people you're not overly familiar with from just a lanyard around their neck. But it was such a great day with some great international speakers and some funny slides. If it wasn't already obvious, iOS apps >>> Android apps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can't I expand text on your app on my Galaxy S2 without the need to use reading glasses! otherwise a slick app thanks

Hi Laurie. The text within our apps is not expandable (regardless of device). This is actually the first time we've heard that the text might be too small, and the S2 even has a slightly larger screen than the iPhone which is where our core user base resides at this point in time.

Thanks for your feedback though. We'll keep it in mind if we receive similar sentiments from other users, but with new phones getting bigger and bigger, hopefully this will not be a concern.

How about push notifications for various in game events (obviously with options for which you want turned on):

• Goals
  • Lead change
  • Injuries
  • End of quarter

Push notifications are going through their test phase at the moment, but won't be making an appearance in Aussie Rules Live until 2013. We want to be sure they are 100% right before 'pushing' them out to over a million users. Get it wrong and you can immediately dissolve your fan base.

They will go live for the first time in our forthcoming EPL Live app which will be released in the next month or so.

You bet! It's currently leading the voting in our recent "Suggest A Feature" campaign.

Click here for more info and also to see what else is on the way.

Regarding your list of suggestions, I'm not interested in any that you have under 'Not pursuing'. Of the 'Under consideration' list:
Include State of Origin within the NRL app - that would be good
Customisable ordering of menu icons - would definitely like

PS: Try to get the EPL app out before the EPL season starts.

Good morning guys.

For those of you who don't follow us on Twitter or Facebook, we just wanted to let you know that our development team spent the weekend testing the brand new Live Ladder feature. Thankfully everything ran smoothly and we will be implementing this to both AFL and NRL apps later in the week to coincide with the all-important run into the finals.

Why did you remove the number of goals and behind scored by a player in a game?
It would be good if a player score their 1st goal you would have like L Hodge 1.0 and if they kick their second goal it wud go as 2.0. Same as behinds with L Hodge 0.1 and the next one would be 0.2? it would be really helpful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back