The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually it's Fox League promoting the s**t out of upcoming boxing bouts but Fox Footy have joined in. Main Event sales mustn't be flash at the moment. I'm not the least bit interested in Tim Tszyu's fight this weekend.

What’s even more annoying is that the Rose boys are behind a heap of it: they are the least self-aware blokes I’ve ever met (they come from these parts) and actually think people want to hear this s**t over and over again on repeat. To be fair to them they’ve turned local fight nights into a fairly big empire for themselves but f**k it is off the charts annoying and they are so into themselves it’s not easily calculated

Yeah, then they can go back to using Fox Footy to promote the golf or car racing on Fox Sports.
If anything, it may get worse next year when they get more exclusive games.

Does Jack Riewoldt have it his contract to cover all Richmond games or something?

He's done special comments for all three of the Richmond games fox has covered so far this season

Easing him in gently I guess. Look how 7 have thrown their newbies to the wolves and they've been exposed and torn to shreds in the media and on here.

Surely there are recently retired players who are like Karun Chandhok in F1 or Jamie Carragher in soccer (minus the spitting) who are students of the game and have a broad interest across teams and even leagues who offer more than just name recognition?
Will Schofield is promising and had been earmarked a while ago when he did a guest stint in pre-season.

Does Jack Riewoldt have it his contract to cover all Richmond games or something?

He's done special comments for all three of the Richmond games fox has covered so far this season
First time I have watched one with commentary, that made press red for Ed seem unbiased

Just when I thought FoxFooty had rid itself of Fox F***king Boxing, there's an interview at the end of First Crack.

I don't like assuming I'm speaking for anyone but myself, but I can't be the only one that turns off FoxFooty when boxing and UFC especially (and sometimes other sport) is promoted on the channel.

Just when I thought FoxFooty had rid itself of Fox F***king Boxing, there's an interview at the end of First Crack.

I don't like assuming I'm speaking for anyone but myself, but I can't be the only one that turns off FoxFooty when boxing and UFC especially (and sometimes other sport) is promoted on the channel.
I find it unnecessary for them doing cross promotion in general

Genuinely don’t think anybody would have a problem with him if he had a relatively normal sounding voice and didn’t have the nerdy persona.

In an industry that’s not just dominated by but ENTIRELY populated by ex footballers, a yobbo (Robinson), and sycophants like Hutchison and McGuire, he is the only one that even ATTEMPTS to bring any sort of intellectual analysis to the footy industry, and he’s the only one who attempts to romanticise footy at a level beyond ‘isn’t it fuggen good goin and gettin pissed with ya mates and avin a dozen tins and watchin the gaaaaame’
He’s very good Whately. Analyses the game without a biased lens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Networks often go out of their way to have recently retired players commentate on their own team's games and I hate it.

What a great idea. Let's get 'Jack' to commentate on his best mates.

Whateley biggest problem commentating is similar to Hudson's; he feels to need to brand every semi-notable moment of a game. He has to come up with something that stamps it, not only for the game's history, but his own.

Absolutely nailed it with your assessment of Huddo there. Used to enjoy him, but realised the last few years as you say, any half-decent moment now will have him yelling over the top some cringey catchphrase/pun that he's spent all week thinking up.

Absolutely nailed it with your assessment of Huddo there.
Totally agree.

If he is commentating at the final siren, he can't just say, "Siren!" or "That's all she wrote." i.e. some simple, short, generic phrase.

He'll ALWAYS go for the over-the-top, all-about me, smart-ar*e audio grab.

Listen for it if you haven't already (which I think many already have!!!).

Whateley biggest problem commentating is similar to Hudson's; he feels to need to brand every semi-notable moment of a game. He has to come up with something that stamps it, not only for the game's history, but his own.
Noticed this alot. It's part of the reason I'm getting sick of Huddo. If only 13 133333! Never happened.

Noticed this alot. It's part of the reason I'm getting sick of Huddo. If only 13 133333! Never happened.

I’ve always thought 13! is a massively overrated piece of commentary anyway.
Never understood why screaming the number of goals Buddy kicked in Hudson’s strangled high pitched voice is meant to be some iconic call.

He’s very good Whately. Analyses the game without a biased lens
What bullshit
Do I have to bring up the
“Cats have to make a stand and hold tim Kelly” (who wanted to go home so his wife has help looking after 4 young kids, 2 not 100% healthy) but freo can’t keep someone that doesn’t want to be there (Brad hill chasing money)
That was the last time I watched 360.
He was good on abc but commercial broadcasters must want bias to create more talking points because he has been vomit inducing since he went to SEN.
On any topic his bias are clear he has as much credibility as Conesy trying to take down coaches that have won flags but Ken who will be the world record holder for most games coached without a GF appearance after 11 years in the caper is turning pickle juice to champagne.
Weasle also fanboys over Geelong bnf winner Kant hinkles!

Last edited:
What bullshit
Do I have to bring up the
“Cats have to make a stand and hold tim Kelly” (who wanted to go home so his wife has help looking after 4 young kids, 2 not 100% healthy) but freo can’t keep someone that doesn’t want to be there (Brad hill chasing money)
That was the last time I watched 360.
He was good on abc but commercial broadcasters must want bias to create more talking points because he has been vomit inducing since he went to SEN.
On any topic his bias are clear he has as much credibility as Conesy trying to take down coaches that have won flags but Ken who will be the world record holder for most games coached without a GF appearance after 11 years in the caper is turning pickle juice to champagne.
Weasle also fanboys over Geelong bnf winner Kant hinkles!
Disagree.

Just so long as you can endure the try hard theatrical and over the top delivery of every word he speaks like Martin Prince trying to impress Mrs Krabappel after reading the thesaurus.
As far as commentary goes, this is one of the easiest things to 'endure'. It's barely a criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back