Four day tests - why the push?

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted the morning of day 5 where nz had a slight lead thus where all results were possible...

If a team can't create 10 wicket taking balls In 98 overs that's laughable...

On the nz game the poms went with no spinner and nz a left arm off spinner who barely spins it.how about teams pick 6 bowlers,? Or more part timers get used.
You can't create ten wicket taking chances on roads against good batsmen. Have you ever played cricket? Once that ball gets soft it just does nothing. Wagner has to reach super Saiyan level fifty just to take the wickets he does. He's the only successful kiwi bowler in their conditions now apart from Boult.

100% it would change

I don't think it would, the onus would simply be put on the players to produce results through quicker scoring and early declarations, it may eventually mean slightly more more of a odi look to the test teams spinners will be picked more as the utility players for their ability to keep runs down when attacked and provide quick runs themselves when they bat.

The idea pitches are flat due to 5 days makes no sense anyway not when other sides give their bowlers assistance right now in 5 day games, the pitches will stay pretty flat and we would just start setting ourselves 100-120 over targets to score quick then declare, just like limited overs games the more restrictive nature of an innings makes it easier to take risks early as if things go wrong you have to less time for the opposition to make you bat in the 4th innings,it's simply easier to attack early when it costs you a lot less late in the game when it goes wrong.

You can't create ten wicket taking chances on roads against good batsmen. Have you ever played cricket? Once that ball gets soft it just does nothing. Wagner has to reach super Saiyan level fifty just to take the wickets he does. He's the only successful kiwi bowler in their conditions now apart from Boult.

They lost about 150 overs to rain and it seemed like nearly everybody who made a big score was dropped in the match, it was a flat pitch but without rain and with good fielding a result was certainly possible.

Last edited:
They lost about 150 overs to rain and it seemed like nearly everybody who made a big score was dropped in the match, it was a flat pitch but without rain and with good fielding a result was certainly possible.
All four results are technically possible at most times of a test so that's not a valid point I'm afraid

What point isnt valid?

if it rained for days on a greentop it would be a draw as well, you cant judge a game or a pitch where so much time was lost to the weather.
Yes you can because you aren't acknowledging the concrete nature of the pitch. If more overs had been available more runs would have been scored that's all. A pitch that doesn't deteriorate towards the end of a game doesn't produce a result unless Neil Wagner is bowling

Yes you can because you aren't acknowledging the concrete nature of the pitch. If more overs had been available more runs would have been scored that's all. A pitch that doesn't deteriorate towards the end of a game doesn't produce a result unless Neil Wagner is bowling

It did look a fairly flat pitch but nz can and do win games on those decks and they still could have won that game without weather and with better fielding, you said you cant create ten chances in 98 overs on those decks i just disagree with that.

From my pov i would have liked more grass on that deck but being 1-0 up playing an england side that are usually so mediocre with bat and ball on tracks that require hard graft i can understand why nz went the way they did, england actually grinding out a decent score on a flat deck is pretty unusual it has to be remembered simply giving them tracks that require graft with the bat and hard work with the ball is usually enough to beat them.

Last edited:

We just saw the Aussies roll a team twice in a week and a bit.. week before NZ rolled the poms.this flat track stuff is b.s. mate. Nz has had like 2 draws in the past 15 on home soil.

Burns was dropped twice in the 2nd dig if the poms were 3 down they would of folded fast. It's dam good cricket watching root and burns make 100 from 200 balls if you think it's boring becasue of the pitch you are kidding yourself they batted awesome.

A match can fall short of planned overs for a range of reasons, of which over rates is one. The fact that there was no penalty issued in this case would indicate that the other delays to play identified by the match referee were sufficient to explain the shortfall.

The process may appear opaque to viewers and commentators, but it is fairly clear to the teams who ensure they stay on just the right side of the line. As a result, well-managed teams rarely get stung by over rate penalties.
They aren't getting stung because they know the ICC is not willing to crack down on it.

It doesn't just go for the bowling team too - the batsmen are equally guilty of this, with significant increases in the amount of time someone is coming out on the field for various reasons - gloves, water etc.

IIRC there was a test played last year (maybe in England?) when the bowling team got through in excess of 90 overs of day in the hunt for 10 wickets. When they want to, they can crack through. This shouldn't be optional.

It's dull but it does suit us. Our batsmen have previously been rubbish so it made sense not to shoot ourselves in the foot (look at Hobart against South Africa last time).

Then you have our bowlers who are easily the best in the world on a flat wicket, they can still produce something on tough wickets while most other teams turn into cannon fodder so to change the approach would be handing the opposition an advantage.

I maintain that Test Cricket in Australia right now is pretty boring compared to most parts of the world but we're simply sticking to what gives us the best chance of winning.

australia’s bowlers are very good on flat wickets but gee India’s make a good case at the moment

I’d only like to see 4-day Tests with a pink ball, starting on a Thursday

4 sessions of 30 overs Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and 3 sessions on Sunday

Yes, that’s far fetched, and the pink ball needs work, but there it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It did look a fairly flat pitch but nz can and do win games on those decks and they still could have won that game without weather and with better fielding, you said you cant create ten chances in 98 overs on those decks i just disagree with that.

From my pov i would have liked more grass on that deck but being 1-0 up playing an england side that are usually so mediocre with bat and ball on tracks that require hard graft i can understand why nz went the way they did, england actually grinding out a decent score on a flat deck is pretty unusual it has to be remembered simply giving them tracks that require graft with the bat and hard work with the ball is usually enough to beat them.
Yes they do win because Neil Wagner is an otherworldly creature who defys the laws of science. Tim southee was 6'4 when he started playing international cricket he looks about 5'10 now lol

We just saw the Aussies roll a team twice in a week and a bit.. week before NZ rolled the poms.this flat track stuff is b.s. mate. Nz has had like 2 draws in the past 15 on home soil.

Burns was dropped twice in the 2nd dig if the poms were 3 down they would of folded fast. It's dam good cricket watching root and burns make 100 from 200 balls if you think it's boring becasue of the pitch you are kidding yourself they batted awesome.
Don't agree with you at all but don't think your argument was worth a suspension lol.

A four day test with either a red or pink ball as long as the red one is a duke would force the players to score a bit faster and play at more balls. This creates more wicket taking opportunities and weather depending would force a result most of the time with WC points at stake. It opens up more free days in the cricket calendar to potentially leave those pokey two test series to teams in the lower tier like the windies, Afghanistan and Ireland etc.

I'd love to see a three T20I series, three ODI and a three test match series as the standard tour going forward with the ashes, border gavaskar trophy and whatever the England v India one is called left at their current length.

If you’re not privy to the match referee’s time calculations then this is a fairly specious claim.
Not necessarily. The match referees may be hamstrung, but that means the calculation method should change. There seem to be too many leniencies. A few wickets and a change of innings should be built into the 90 overs, bot excuses for not meeting it.
Extraordinary situations, and batting based delays, should not see the fielding side penalised. But a few wickets falling, a few uses of DRS, at least one change of inings, these are all pretty common things across a day's play - and could be included in the standard 90 overs in six hours, not included in calculating exemptions.
If going to 30 overs a session, change of innings can't be expected every session and that might require some spreading out across the day.
Umpires can step in and stop so many changes of gloves, etc, with the batting side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back