Foxtel deal to caused delayed telecast for some SA and WA games

Remove this Banner Ad

anyone stealing this great australian game by pricing the poor out of the market are a disgrace.

you can understand some greedy corporation doing it but the subscribers to foxtel are simply selfish. People should think about how their actions impact others.
Because you want a service for free?

Whose selfish again?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Whose selfish again?

I am one of the fortunate ones that can afford foxtel but chose not to out of respect of others. I guess I was brought up in a generation where footy was accessible and witnessing an Americanisation of our great game.

It's just worth while highlighting this, as it would return to free to air if people stopped subscribing.

Given its handy update, no doubt AFL thinks AFL app will ultimately be the way to roll out premium/paid HD content to the masses. Just a matter of time and enabling tv streaming.
I be damned if~$90 for every game~$150 for HD and huge profit margins ain't the winning ticket.

I am one of the fortunate ones that can afford foxtel but chose not to out of respect of others. I guess I was brought up in a generation where footy was accessible and witnessing an Americanisation of our great game.

It's just worth while highlighting this, as it would return to free to air if people stopped subscribing.

It was also not professional. It is now.

If it did it would probably slowly die off as the money went elsewhere.

Like it or not thats what makes the world go around.

Years ago I was a basketballer (never played football) who got sucked into AFL due to the easy availability of games on FTA and the loss of NBL and NBA from telly, and I have been hooked ever since (and wasting time on here). If AFL becomes less and less available on FTA, watch the supporter numbers drop over the next generation. It's not a whinge. It's just the way it works. Since I'm hooked, I'll just give the pub my money to watch and drink.

You think they are a charity?

Oh and if you call them and chat you may actually get a better deal than that.
Its what i did.
That makes it sound like they'll give you a better deal in exchange for dirty chat.

"Hi, I'm interested in Fox Footy but I don't want to pay for 50 channels that I'll never watch. I'd like to see whether I can get negotiate a better deal."
"Certainly sir. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"
"No, that's fine."
"Great. What colour are your undies?"
"Dude what the hell?!"
"Now now sir, you know how it is – you scratch my back, I scratch yours and all that. So … briefs or boxers?"

That makes it sound like they'll give you a better deal in exchange for dirty chat.

"Hi, I'm interested in Fox Footy but I don't want to pay for 50 channels that I'll never watch. I'd like to see whether I can get negotiate a better deal."
"Certainly sir. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"
"No, that's fine."
"Great. What colour are your undies?"
"Dude what the hell?!"
"Now now sir, you know how it is – you scratch my back, I scratch yours and all that. So … briefs or boxers?"
Ive got a feeling my post wasnt the reason you think that way.

anyone stealing this great australian game by pricing the poor out of the market are a disgrace.

you can understand some greedy corporation doing it but the subscribers to foxtel are simply selfish. People should think about how their actions impact others.
Sure there would be some battling families that can't afford $55 a month but I also wonder how many that complain it's too expensive to afford would somehow manage to be able to blow $55+ every weekend on stuff like booze and fast food.

So just because Vic doesn't have as good coverage as WA or SA it doesn't matter if they're brought down to the Vic coverage?

What stupid reasoning some of you have. Vic should be getting the coverage of SA and WA, it's better stupid

These TV companies should be buying the rights to show the product for what it is, not getting any say in how things are run. It's the same with Ch7 trying to change the grand final time. **** off

If that means the rights are cheaper and the players get less money then so be it.
How is it changing the way the way its run?

On that last sentence the GF time should be at evening/night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, na
I'm one of those "selfish" subscribers and I wouldn't live with out it. As long as I can view games when I want I couldn't honestly care if others can't.

No sympathy for SA or WA supporters given fans of Victorian clubs - particularly smaller clubs like North, Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs have had it far worse for years when it comes to accessing their team in FTA.

A fixture packed with twilight and early Sunday games is a fixture accommodating Foxtel subscribers - and these teams have copped them for years.

I'm a Foxtel subscriber (basic + sports - would love to pay $20p/m for Fox Footy only but it ain't going to happen) and easily get my money's worth by watching several games a week and various shows during the week (AFL360, Open Mike etc).

The viewing experience for Fox-native games is far superior to Seven in every regard - better callers, better picture and no ads during play. I love it when there's a Geelong Fox-only game for this reason.

TLDR: I haven't met a footy fan who shells out for Fox Footy and doesn't think it's worth the money. I understand there are plenty of people who genuinely can't afford it, and I feel for them. But I'd wager 95% of them live within 1-2km of a pub that has Fox Footy, and it's not hard to head out to watch a game (nor will it cost you anything unless you insist on a pub meal and beers - in which case it's possible you could indeed afford Foxtel if it was enough of a priority).
I tried watching at the pub but I spent more during one game than the monthly Foxtel bill, and I left at Qtr time.

Last edited:
Sure there would be some battling families that can't afford $55 a month but I also wonder how many that complain it's too expensive to afford would somehow manage to be able to blow $55+ every weekend on stuff like booze and fast food.

agree

when you have a good income you can save a decent amount and have the motivation to achieve......as it is in reach.

if you are poor, miserable or worse both; you aim for short term "fixes" for happiness. Tattoos, tobacco, alcohol, junk food that junk shiny thing etc etc

I know it is a losing battle as it is human nature to seek happiness but I do like to think of cricket and footy as part of being Australian. Locking segments out, just because we can afford it, doesn't sit right with me.

The the players wouldn't get anywhere near as much money.

agree

when you have a good income you can save a decent amount and have the motivation to achieve......as it is in reach.

if you are poor, miserable or worse both; you aim for short term "fixes" for happiness. Tattoos, tobacco, alcohol, junk food that junk shiny thing etc etc

I know it is a losing battle as it is human nature to seek happiness but I do like to think of cricket and footy as part of being Australian. Locking segments out, just because we can afford it, doesn't sit right with me.
But there is still, what 4 AFL games a week on FTA even if some are occasionally delayed? All local Australian and BBL cricket is on FTA. Growing up in country WA in the early 90s there was only 2 games of footy on TV every week.

Foxtel sport is a premium extra service, if you can't set aside $14 a week (which imo is hardly an outrageous price) for it then that's life can't have every luxury.

Whose selfish again?

It's not free, there are ads everywhere. There are ads on streaming sites too. Simplistic in the extreme to call it "free".

Unbranded coverage with no ads that runs at a pure loss would be free.

It was also not professional. It is now.

If it did it would probably slowly die off as the money went elsewhere.

Like it or not thats what makes the world go around.

perhaps I just need to get with the times. I'm on hold as we speak, ordering my Foxtel from my car phone

main-qimg-8bc0dac3962193bcc928d8f554e602cf-c

On some rough calculations in my head, if the AFL streamed their own content, charged 5 bucks a game (and you can watch the replay whenever you like for 5 bucks), it would be cheaper for the average fan than Foxtel and the AFL would make considerably more money.

That of course would require them to understand the Internet and escape from Tesltra but it's not that technically hard. There are people on this site who could set that up.

So just because Vic doesn't have as good coverage as WA or SA it doesn't matter if they're brought down to the Vic coverage?

What stupid reasoning some of you have. Vic should be getting the coverage of SA and WA, it's better stupid

Ideally, yes...but do you really think Foxtel would pay anything like what they do under those conditions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back