Foxtel deal to caused delayed telecast for some SA and WA games

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Sunday games when either WC or freo play at home is delayed on 7 bar the derbies.. and the Saturday night games are usually delayed anyway. I am thankful at the least Friday nights are live, usually the only game I will watch in full on the television.

I watch the majority through the phone app anyway as I often lose out to the wiggles or Netflix.

We have always been lucky to at least get our games streamed each week in some way over here- I can't imagine what it would have been like to HAVE to go to the pub/club each week just to watch your team play if you didn't have Foxtel.

I must've missed where it was written into the universal declaration of human rights whereby we're entitled to get the AFL matches we want to watch for free.

Don't have to like it, but a business has the right to maximise their profits and protect their investment not withstanding illegal conduct.

The AFL doesn't exist to maximise profits. I can't be bothered to read their charter but I'm 100% sure it's not this. They are a 'non profit' organisation...The charter probably blabs on about promoting sport, social responsibility etc....

No different to what C7 used to do back in the day to WA (And I presume SA fans)

The Old trick of game starts at 2.20pm, lets put it on at 3pm trick so it coincides with the news.

This.

Channel 7 used to telecast games that were at 2.40 at 4.30 so they could wedge the news in at half time.

I have Foxtel anyway so whatevs.

As an ex Sth Australian born, i listened to Adelaide radio today in response to 3 games having a delayed telecast ......yes that's correct 3 out of 11 away games :eek:

I'm seriously of the opinion that Sth Australian would bitch and moan about two fly's crawling up a wall .......FFS seriously, have a discussion, but the emotional bitch, moan, whoa is us, just shows the immaturity of the state, and it's small brother syndrome

BTW the same moaners wanted AFL players to get more money ......FFS where did they think it was going to come from (Foxtel) and do they honestly think Foxtel is a non-profit organisation, or not seeking a commercial return from the massive increase in investment

South Australia .....FFS ....GROW UP!!

I get the argument, it is expensive. And when you have a family it's hard to argue you should only pay for the sports channels when the wife wants the lifestyle/doco channels and the kids want the kids channels. Before you know it you're getting every channel plus HD at about $120 a month, plus more if you get additional set top box. They're not dumb, it's how they make their money.

You need a family meeting attended by all members where by you explain the inner workings of the evil dark lord Murdoch and his little hobby farm foxtel and how they lure unsuspecting suckers in.

20 bucks a week will get you the friggin stupid cartoons and another package bunch of channels that shows the sort of crap wifey likes and ....all the footy...and 360.

Get the basic box, forget the HD and save some coin.

You'll find you will save more money by staying home watching endless games of footy and not going out in the fresh air where the minute you step out it always cost something.

20 bucks. Anyone can afford it. Eat less. Turn some switches off. Don't spend $10 a day at bakers delight and so on and so forth..

Its an easy process people. Get it done and you'll never complain again about footy coverage.

Last edited:
If you are a footy nut and sports fan $55 a month is **** all.
Correct .....how much are those people paying per month for Cigarettes, TAB, and Slabs of Beer ?

Is it a case of Foxtel or those others .....hence the moaning about lack of "live" free to air for 3 weeks a year ?

Foxtel are paying about $1.3 billion over six years for their rights and they obviously want more subscribers in WA and SA.

The AFL agreed to this and its not an unreasonable thing given that Victorian fans get nowhere near 19 live games for their teams on FTA.
Stop talking logic .....Sth Australian don't understand logic

I am one of the fortunate ones that can afford foxtel but chose not to out of respect of others. I guess I was brought up in a generation where footy was accessible and witnessing an Americanisation of our great game.

It's just worth while highlighting this, as it would return to free to air if people stopped subscribing.
You think so? .....AFL would simply setup their own subscription TV service .....if Foxtel believe they can get a commercial return on their investment, so too can the AFL

Yeah, na
I'm one of those "selfish" subscribers and I wouldn't live with out it. As long as I can view games when I want I couldn't honestly care if others can't.
I've subscribed to Foxtel because I'm a Crows supporter living in Melbourne .....i can assure you i wouldn't ever subscribe to Foxtel if not for AFL footy coverage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've subscribed to Foxtel because I'm a Crows supporter living in Melbourne .....i can assure you i wouldn't ever subscribe to Foxtel if not for AFL footy coverage
I actually got it for the Soccer but with all the cricket, NRL, Super Rugby aswell as US sports I couldn't live without it. Haven't watched FTA in close to 2 years

I actually got it for the Soccer but with all the cricket, NRL, Super Rugby aswell as US sports I couldn't live without it. Haven't watched FTA in close to 2 years
Subscriber TV can only survive on "Live" sport .....so Foxtel has to leverage the "Live" aspect of their range of sports coverage or die !

Everyone thinks the same. No footy would mean no foxtel.

They know that, we know that so what we do is pay to watch footy without ads and watch every game live.

Why the hell would anyone want to watch footy games with ads during the qrt these days..crazy stuff

I am one of the fortunate ones that can afford foxtel but chose not to out of respect of others. I guess I was brought up in a generation where footy was accessible and witnessing an Americanisation of our great game.

It's just worth while highlighting this, as it would return to free to air if people stopped subscribing.

Perhaps (FTA channels don't seem to want to show them all), but one thing is certain ... the $$$ would go down significantly.

Everyone thinks the same. No footy would mean no foxtel.

They know that, we know that so what we do is pay to watch footy without ads and watch every game live.

Why the hell would anyone want to watch footy games with ads during the qrt these days..crazy stuff
example ...when the same footy game is on Foxtel and Channel 7 ......surely no-one would watch 7 with all it's adverts ......that said, i prefer 7's pre-game and post game

Foxtel losing the EPL rights was the beginning of the end for that company, It is dying a very slow death.

Why should the average AFL fan in this country suffer because of a company's incompetence?

If Gillon and the AFL had any balls what so ever they'd put a stop from them doing this.
A+ rant, but what are you on about?

Every year Telstra offer free install and some sort of deal with the sports package. Usually free for 3 months. I know at the moment it is discounted but just wait it out. Last year they even offered no lock in contract. AFL lasts for 7 months. If you get 3 months free then you pay about 220 bucks. Cancel- rinse and repeat each year. There is always some type of deal to get you just have to keep an eye out at the start of yhe seasons. You get AFL plus all the others sports for not much.

Every year Telstra offer free install and some sort of deal with the sports package. Usually free for 3 months. I know at the moment it is discounted but just wait it out. Last year they even offered no lock in contract. AFL lasts for 7 months. If you get 3 months free then you pay about 220 bucks. Cancel- rinse and repeat each year. There is always some type of deal to get you just have to keep an eye out at the start of yhe seasons. You get AFL plus all the others sports for not much.

You don't have to wait. Ring them up and tell them what you want.

No contract..$35 a week for 12 months with basic and sport/foxfooty.

They will agree if you keep refusing their stupid offers.

After all, it's just a girl sitting in an Indian call centre you'd be talking to.

I'm waiting to get HD at the same price as standard .....surely that has to happen soon?

I'm waiting to get HD at the same price as standard .....surely that has to happen soon?
You should be able to get that thrown in for free with more extra channels, just ring up the disconnections department (not sales) and say you want to cancel at the end of the month and they will offer a better deal for say 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back