Foxtel deal to caused delayed telecast for some SA and WA games

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct .....how much are those people paying per month for Cigarettes, TAB, and Slabs of Beer ?

Is it a case of Foxtel or those others .....hence the moaning about lack of "live" free to air for 3 weeks a year ?

Its the sense of entitlement after receiving something for so long. I get that it sucks losing something you've had access to, but Foxtel are fully entitled to reap every benefit possible from their (expensive) deal. They might do it in a stupid way from where we're sitting; I'm not arguing that their subscription model is ideal for the just-want-sports crowd, but its their right in the end.

No different to what C7 used to do back in the day to WA (And I presume SA fans)

The Old trick of game starts at 2.20pm, lets put it on at 3pm trick so it coincides with the news.
They still did that pretty recently.

They still did that pretty recently.
Every single shitty crap sunday twilight crap game (ie the bulk of the home games) are like that. If its delayed, I'm not waiting to listen to the moronic calling of Derwayne and co. Radio all the way.

Years ago I was a basketballer (never played football) who got sucked into AFL due to the easy availability of games on FTA and the loss of NBL and NBA from telly, and I have been hooked ever since (and wasting time on here). If AFL becomes less and less available on FTA, watch the supporter numbers drop over the next generation. It's not a whinge. It's just the way it works. Since I'm hooked, I'll just give the pub my money to watch and drink.

I totally understand this. As a kid i was way more into NBL than i was AFL but there came a time when it was simply too difficult to watch NBL. As I got older I was more and more drawn to the AFL. I don't regret it but there's no doubt that I would be more into basketball than I am if it was more accessible.

You also make a great point about the next generation. Although it may be mitigated by alternate viewing options that will present themselves as time goes on.

I must've missed where it was written into the universal declaration of human rights whereby we're entitled to get the AFL matches we want to watch for free.

Don't have to like it, but a business has the right to maximise their profits and protect their investment not withstanding illegal conduct.

Maybe not a "universal declaration of human rights" but there is the Broadcaster Service Act. This legislation includes Anti-siphoning laws and regulations designed to prevent pay television broadcasters from buying monopoly rights to important and culturally significant events before free-to-air television has a chance to bid on them.

The Anti-siphoning list is basically made up of sporting events, ensuring that there will always be plenty of sport on free to air.

Two games on Friday night?? LIVE @ 8:30?? what time zone, Friday night games dont start at 8:30

This is surely a recent, 00s, type schedule.
Most people have memories of the past that don't actually fit the reality. 2 games on a Friday night may have happened the odd time but I bet you could count them all on 1 hand.

And yes Friday nights were always delayed in Melbourne unless the game was played outside Melbourne.

Bring it back to 2001 when Channel 7 produced every game.

And the games were delayed. How fantastic.

I actually got it for the Soccer but with all the cricket, NRL, Super Rugby aswell as US sports I couldn't live without it. Haven't watched FTA in close to 2 years

So you don't watch the grand final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apparently they still are

6 games. In SA. And there’s the Foxtel option for all of them.

I know pretending the sport peaked some time around the turn of the century is your shtick but you're kidding yourself if you think the free-to-air or pay TV coverage was better 16 years ago.

TLDR: I haven't met a footy fan who shells out for Fox Footy and doesn't think it's worth the money. I understand there are plenty of people who genuinely can't afford it, and I feel for them. But I'd wager 95% of them live within 1-2km of a pub that has Fox Footy, and it's not hard to head out to watch a game (nor will it cost you anything unless you insist on a pub meal and beers - in which case it's possible you could indeed afford Foxtel if it was enough of a priority).

I can't stand Foxtel or the entire model they run with but the bold is exactly the reason I have it. I did the numbers and in the end I was spending more going out to watch it than it was costing me staying in. For teams that have 2-3 games a year exclusively on Foxtel the pub is the answer. For the rest of us it may just be cheaper to stay home.

Once you get on the live and exclusive drip, it is hard to get off, kind of like being addicted to pokie revenue. You just have to be able to sleep knowing you are depriving poor people access to games. I doubt Gilligan would even piss on the poor if they were on fire.

He'd be buying shares in Redheads matches as we type this.

The sooner FTA is completely gone the better,

You wot mate? :drunk::drunk:

Foxtel should be the one and only subscriber but they should offer a custom package whereby you can choose the channels you want.

Yeah coz that's going to happen without competition.

I get the argument, it is expensive. And when you have a family it's hard to argue you should only pay for the sports channels when the wife wants the lifestyle/doco channels and the kids want the kids channels. Before you know it you're getting every channel plus HD at about $120 a month, plus more if you get additional set top box. They're not dumb, it's how they make their money.
I'm a Long term customer and negotiate every year and I pay $79 a month ($89 with hd for footy season)for platinum,I guess I'm a sports nut who loves to watch Aussie cricket oversees and watch nrl as well,the family all get what they want to watch and I haven't watched free to air for years.

If the dumb campaigners at Foxtel would offer a sports only package I'd sign up in a heart beat.

I don't need 50 channels of complete s**t just so I can watch one game of footy a week.

So how much are you prepared to pay? Do you want one game of footy a week only, two? Finals?

I get the idea Foxtel have a fair grasp on things, lets see IF you do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back